“Clean, quiet, works”

Hilton Garden Inn Edison/Raritan Center
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Edison
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Not a fancy place, feels a little dated but is clean, no Bedbugs or other vermin, quiet for the most part. Did see a bunch of teenagers with cheap beer heading up to one if the rooms on the floor that we stayed on, but no trouble came of it. It is the NJ turnpike after all, you can't expect too much. Works for a quick overnight stay.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank tmmBoston

Reviewed May 16, 2012

The accommodations at this hotel are not bad; it is the erroneous billing that has been giving me the heartburn. I stayed at this hotel Friday night, May 11, 2012; I had booked it for one night because of our overnight stay over on the way to Boston. On the morning of Saturday, May 12th - after coming back from breakfast, we were getting ready to leave when the fire alarm went off and we hurried up and picked up our bags and walked down the stairs to the exit. There were two fire trucks near the lobby, we put our stuff in our car and then I proceeded towards the lobby. By this time the fire department started leaving, I went in, there was nobody at the reception desk/counter, I left the card keys on the counter inside the little envelope that had the room number, and I left well before the 12 pm checkout deadline. We were driving to Boston so we continued with our trip. Today, I checked the bill and saw that they had billed us for an additional night for no reason. I sent an email to Hilton through the HHonors system reporting this issue, no response so far. I called the hotel directly, the guy who answered the phone told me that I had to speak to Accounting; I left a message with them. This is not the first time that we had a billing issue at this particular hotel, two years back similar thing happened. My credit card was billed for multiple stays, even though we only stayed one night, I contacted the hotel, nobody ever called me back, finally I had to contact the credit card company, showed proof of payment, and they rescinded the charges. There is something going on at this hotel in terms of improper billing that needs to be looked at by authorities and Hilton's management and board. This has happened to me twice in two years so this is not an anomaly. My advice is be very careful when you stay at this Hilton Garden Inn, double check your bill, then double check your credit card statement when you get back home. I have stayed at other Hilton hotels and Hilton Garden Inns at other locations have never had a billing problem, it is only this location in Edison/Raritan Center where I have had billing problems multiple times.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank hf98
Reviewed May 12, 2012

Called the hotel with sold out situation, and found last minute room. Also, upon late arrival and bar closing, Manager grabbed a beer for me before the closing. Thoughtful gesture.

Clean, modern hotel with made-to-order breakfast including coffee and juice and fresh fruit for about $12.

Arriving from the Interstate, location can be a little tricky, so get clear directions.

Wish they served Starbucks coffee for breakfast as do other Hilton Garden locations...only suggested improvement.

Room Tip: Location can be a little tricky at the intersection of I287/440, I95 Exit 10 and Woodbridge Ave, so...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 7, 2012

This was my third stay at this Hilton. I come down each year for the Abilities Expo and stay three or four nights each visit. I travel alone and I use a wheelchair to get around. The hotel is conveniently located near the interstates and the Raritin Center in Edison, an ideal location for my purpose. The hotel has an overall well kept appearance and is kept clean inside and out. My room was clean, well appointed and spacious with an adequate number of electrical outlets around the room. There is a minimum 36" clearance all around the bed making it easily approachable from either side in my chair. There was over 60" of clearance at the foot of the bed. The rest of the room is very spacious as well, with plenty of maneuvering room at the desk and by the refrigerator/ coffee maker. The closet hanger bar was at a usable height so I could use it easily. The bed was comfy not too soft or too hard. If the edges were a little stiffer I could have gotten up with less effort. The bathroom door is wonderfully wide and moves with ease. The bathroom is spacious with lots of room to maneuver around the Loo and in the roll in shower where the control and the adjustable height shower head are located in the middle of the shower. The adjustable shower chair was already adjusted to its maximum height which I need. The sink is in a narrow alcove and too high for most chair users. It is the only item I found to be of less than perfect in the accommodation.

The bar is small and way too high for chair users but there are tables near by that work well. There is a patio easily accessed via the bar. The menu is limited although adequate. Breakfast is buffet style and you can have anything made to order with the chef on staff. Marcel the waitress kept me cheerfully served with drinks and assistance with the buffet. Henderson did a great job at serving both lunch and dinner.

When I checked in the regular porter was busy with the van, so Frank stepped up from his normal duties to assist me with my luggage and equipment setup in the room. He also was very helpful with the same on my departure. Amy the GM greeted me on the first night there. Overall the staff was friendly and as helpful as they could be. On th whole, an excellent place to stay if you are physically challenged or not.. I did not use the pool or exercise room.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed February 26, 2012

I stay here about 3-4 times a year for business travel. The hotel is situated near the turnpike and parkway which is ideal. It's not the nicest Hilton Garden Inn you can stay at but the staff does a good job maintaining it's appearance. Breakfast is pretty good and you can have anything made with the chef on staff. The gym is small but adequate for a work out. The hotel purchased new equipment last year which is a huge upgrade from the old equipment that they previously had.

Room Tip: Get a floor that faces away from the highway if you are a light sleeper.
1  Thank John L
Reviewed February 25, 2012

Six colleagues and I stayed here for 11 weeks on business (4 day work weeks). Our job requires 100% travel and we normally stay in Hilton and Marriott properties. This was not the best HGI I have ever stayed in. The restaurant in the hotel is smaller than normal with only 15 or so tables. The waitstaff was certainly not the fastest and it was questionable if they understood what we were saying some of the times. We would eat here about once a week due to late work schedules. The chicken strips and fries were a huge portion and awesome, then they got a different brand of both and they weren't that good anymore. The bar, if you can call it that, was four stools in the corner no longer than a 6 or 7 foot. They do have a musician come in once a week and sing and play guitar. He was pretty good...Amy, the GM said she was trying to book him for multiple nights. The breakfast is $11.99 if you don't have status or get it worked into the rate. They have everything continental plus a cook behind a glass wall that can make you up some eggs or an omlette. I will note here that of the amount of times I ate breakfast, there was probably 6 where they did not have mushrooms/onions/peppers or cheese for the omlettes. They have bacon, sausage, grits, biscuits and gravy, and hashbrown patties under the cook glass wall.
The majority, due to location, is mostly business travelers. Starbucks is down a block (across a major intersection) inside the Sheraton. Harold's Deli (see other review) is next door. It is right off of a few major interstates. Unfortunately there is not much else to walk to and you will have to drive. Menlo Park Mall is about 7-10 minutes away and not too much farther is a few good choices for dinner.
There is a conference center in the hotel so beware of groups stampeding through. Most of the time I was there "The Apprentice" had their try-outs in one of the rooms. One week was a Jewish conference and they all stayed in the hotel (2 floors, up all night to slamming doors, conviently no one answered the front desk at 12:30am). The elevators are directly outside the conference room doors and the check in tables are right there.
They have a shuttle but it does not do the Newark airport. They said it would take you anywhere in the area. There is two, a Metuchen and a Woodbridge, NJTransit stations within 10 minutes and both will get you to NYC in an hour. The pool and hot tub and area were good, no issues there. The gym is two treadmills, two elipticals, a bench, free weights, a ball, and a TV. One of the maintenance guys said that they had just rearranged and the water cooler was not hooked up due to needing to run a waterline through a wall.
Overall the staff was friendly and greeted us by name when we checked in and came in at night. The GM greeted us on the first night there and also chatted with us at breakfast mutiple times. The rooms were clean, typical of a HGI with either a sleeper sofa or a chair and every one had desk, mini fridge, mini coffee maker, and hair dryer. Did have an issue one week with the shower not coming on. Hotel handled it well and relocated rooms. Typical channels; HGTV, HBO, NBC, CBS, ABC, 4 sports channels. Overall a good place to stay for business.

Room Tip: Smoking is allowed on the 5th floor and as soon as you step off the elevator you can tell.
Reviewed February 24, 2012

I like Hilton Garden Inns.

I travel for business probably 100+ days a year frankly my having no complaints means this place is pretty darn good. The breakfast was really good - individually cooked. The internet was fast, the flat screen TV had lots of channels and the entire facility was clean.

Nice size room, big desk with wall outlets right on top and a comfortable chair. In short a very good example of what I have come to expect at Hilton Garden Inns and why I like them.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Edison
Courtyard Edison Woodbridge
Hampton Inn Woodbridge
#1 of 4 in Woodbridge
Renaissance Woodbridge Hotel
Fairfield Inn & Suites Edison-South Plainfield

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Edison/Raritan Center? Share your experiences!