“Sheraton edison”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Lanoka Harbor, New Jersey
“Sheraton edison”
Reviewed April 30, 2012

This is the 2nd time in a row I've stayed at a Sheraton and not been thrilled. I'm a gold club member which in this sheraton entitles you to basically nothing. I was not elevated to a club floor, my floor was extremely noisy with a bunch of teenagers running around until at leat 11 at night. We arrived at 3:30 in the afternoon and wanted to get a bite to eat, no restuarant was open, just starbucks (with very little food), we ended up ordering from the bar to take back to the room., (the bartender was the most amazing employee that we encountered the whole weekend, she was helpful and polite). I'm not sure if there is a lack of attention to detail because this hotel is so busy, but I'm starting to rethink my Sheraton experience. The room was very neat and clean but did have a stale smell to it. Housekeeping looks like they are doing their job.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
DPaez, General Manager at Sheraton Edison Hotel Raritan Center, responded to this review, May 3, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent visit to the Sheraton Edison. I am truly disappointed to hear about the difficulty you experienced during your visit.

As a gold member you are entitled to several different amenity options. However based on the SPG awards program Starwood has outlined, the complimentary club upgrade will be automatic once you reach platinum level. The exception to this rule would be when booking reservations using the SPG cash and points then upgrades if available can be purchased for an additional fee.

I apologize again for any inconvenience that this situation may have caused, and hope that you will allow us another opportunity to be of service again in the future.

General Manager, Sheraton Edison Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
lanoka Harbor
Reviewed April 29, 2012

Gold members will not get anything special, only if you are platinum. This was explained to me by Starwood. It is up to this hotels management and SPG has no recourse. Also the floor we were on was so noisy and again hotel management did not care. There are no double beds on the SPG club floors per the front desk. The bar tender was terrific and went out of her way to make us welcome. She should be the manager.
As a side note we stayed there last year also, and our breakfast was never delivered to our room.
Stupid me for going back.

Room Tip: Don't bother, it was so busy they don't care.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your wonderful feedback! We do offer luggage assistance so when you visit next time please drive your car up to the front entrance and let us know you need our help we are here for you!

Please come back and visit us again. We appreciate your business and value you as a guest of the Sheraton Edison Hotel.

Katy, Texas
Reviewed April 23, 2012

After a long drive I was very happy when I arrived at the hotel with my infant daughter. We were both excited to be out of the car and ready to relax and get some dinner. I found the hotel parking lot to be awfully inconvenient. The only parking that is a direct walk to the front doors of the hotel was full of office parking from the office building next door. I had to park around a set of unlandscapped bushes and haul my stroller and suitcase around them and up the area where cars drive because there was no nice landscaped walk way to draw you into the hotel. The only other option to get to the frontdoors was to take a small set of stairs next to the unlandscaped shrubs, directly across from the front door, littered with trash. The unwelcoming condition of the outside parking area made nervous about what the hotel was going to look like on the inside.
I was pleasantly surprised to find the hotel fresh and clean when I walked in! I waited in line to check in about 15mins, as the only associate visible, worked her butt off to help all guests. This was around 4pm and I was shocked she was alone at the front desk! When it came to be my turn to check in, she was exceptionally pleasant and kind. She also did what front desk associates are SUPPOSED to do, but rarely do I find this attention to detail... she checked me in and didn't announce my room number. That is how it is supposed to be done!!! I was very impressed she discreetly pointed out my room number to be as she handed my key. She also confirmed my request for a crib to be delivered and assured me she would have it sent right up. What a marvelous job she did!!! Announcing a travelers room number is dangerous, especially a woman traveling alone. I was very impressed. About an hour after checking into my room and getting settled with my daughter the phone rang and it was Liz, from the front desk, calling to follow up and ensure I had received the crib I requested. I said no and she apologized and assured me it would be expedited. She was correct, it was brought within 10 mins of her call.
The hotel room was spacious and clean. I was surprised to see the wallpaper peeling away from the wall near the tub in the bathroom and mildew covering the area exposed from where the wall paper had left the wall. It truly cheapened the quality of the room.
I ordered room service and found the food to be just, okay. The greek salad was good, but the steak lacked any flavor and the mushrooms were just a slimy mess. Saved myself some calories and ate only a few bites.
Had a great night sleep on the bed! Packed up and WAITED for the elevators to take me down to the lobby to check out. Checkout was very pleasant and the front desk manager shared Liz's name with me from the day before.

Overall, good deal and okay hotel. Each staff member was so nice and that made up for the bathroom wallpaper and the parking nightmare, I mean parking lot.

Washington, DC
Reviewed April 21, 2012

This is a great place to stay for the price I paid. I got this hotel for around $66 a nt using Hotwire. It came up as 3.5 star hotel in Edison that 90% of users recommended. I wasn't disappointed with the hotel esp for the price. If I would have paid $160 a nt I would have been but not at $66 :)

The hotel is an older Sheraton and there is cosmetic blemishes on the walls and furniture which isn't a big deal. The sheets are like 200 tread count. They are very hard and make noise when you move in the bed. The bed itself was semi comfortable. If you get a room next to the elevator you will hear the elevator going up and down early in the morning which is sorta annoying. Also they have three elevators and you have to wait like 5 mins to get one to get down in the am's. Which is crazy.

Overall I'd stay at this place again if I could get the same rate thru Hotwire. I would def not pay full price to stay at this property.

Room Tip: If you get a room next to the elevator you will hear the elevator going up and down early in the mor...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking time out to write to us. I will share your comments with the Sheraton Edison team so that we can continue to improve our guest's experience. Please come back soon and see us again.

Sincerely, Dorothy Paez
Redondo Beach, California
Reviewed April 16, 2012

First off we got a bargain on this hotel through Hotwire. We needed a room for a few hours of sleep prior to our 7:25 am flight out of JFK, and we were driving from Hershey Park, Pennsylvania. I did not want to pay the high price of a hotel near JFK for 6 hours of use. We arrived at 11:30 p.m. on Saturday night. There were buses in the parking lot which we weren't sure if they were unloading or loading as there were approximately 3 busloads of people in the area near the hotel's entrance. Considering how late it was, the crowds were very noisy. Out of respect for sleeping guests, hotel staff should have been outside handling the crowd.

We weren't sure where to check in as the counter had a sign Starwood Preferred Guests. We waited patiently for one of the two clerks to finish helping other guests when a man walked in front of us up to the desk. We assumed he must have been a Preferred Guest, though later as I searched for another counter I learned we had been standing in the correct area. We checked in and headed to our room. As with most Starwood Properties the room is quite comfortable. Unfortunately the room had a heavy musty smell, as though the carpets had been cleaned and they hadn't dried properly. The air was off in the room and the room temperature was 73 degrees. It was too late to ask for a different room, so we made due, though it left us with residual sinus issues. The beds are comfortable, though full size--we typically prefer a queen size bed. We were across from the elevator and one can hear the elevator whooshing up and down.

The drive to JFK was 40 minutes at 5:00 am.

The hotel's rooms are lovely; though management needs to take lessons from the Sheraton Suites in Weehawken where we stayed earlier in the week and found everything top notch.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevators.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post this review about our hotel. I apologize that you did not have the experience that our hotel promotes.

I am sorry there was some confusion while checking into the hotel because of the large group that returned when you arrived. I will be sharing your comments with the staff so that we will be better prepared to assist our guests no matter what the circumstances.

Thank you again for your comments and we do hope you will return to us in the future.

Manassas, Virginia
Reviewed April 8, 2012

Let's cut to the chase; this hotel is clearly a nice hotel and its got a beautiful presentation. This review has less to do with the actual hotel, and more to do with the people who work there. Of course, we all know that people will have different experiences. However this experience, was enough to make me NEVER want to revisit this place again.

The location and facility is nice and convenient. I made a reservation at Hotels.com for this past weekend so I could see my family for Passover. I make several trips to NJ a year, and this was the first and last time I will stay at this hotel. Check-in time is 3pm. We arrived around 2:30 because our 4 hour drive from VA miraculously had no traffic pitfalls.

We expected to wait around until 3 so we could check in. So, at 3pm, I asked the woman at the desk if my room was ready. She checked, and told me no, just give her a few more minutes. Ok, fine. 3:15 I return to the desk to check, and she says "I don't know when it will be ready. Try me again at 3:30." Um, ok. Now, let's keep in mind that we were a family of 3 who needed to shower, settle in, and be back out on the road to head to see our family for Passover dinner at 6pm.

Finally at 3:30 I asked her if it was ready yet, to which she replied "I have no idea when it will be ready." I ask why this is the case since check-in was 30 minutes ago, and why she couldn't just tell me this the first time I asked. A gentleman at the desk said to wait just 5 more minutes. At this point we noticed the hotel lobby was filling up rapidly. Not only was there a dog show (thus about 20 other people with pets stuck in the lobby waiting to check in) but there was a tour bus full of people heading to a large church function standing out front. I could overhear people announcing that they had to move the time of the dog show entirely because check-in was so delayed! We were not the only people clearly upset at the disorder, but at this point, I am just confused.

At 3:45, I ask to speak with the manager, Dan Beasley. He is not available, but the gentleman at the desk has the audacity to look me in the eye as if I am a burden to him, and say "Check-in is 3pm but since you booked online, we don't promise you that. And, last night we were booked solid. That's 250 rooms. You can't expect us to clean an entire hotel in 3 hours (check out was 12pm)." Actually, I can. Its your job to properly staff a 250 room hotel so it can be cleaned by your own time guidelines. And I don't care that I booked online, if you knew this at 3pm when I asked and KNEW you would not be able to get my room ready, don't lie to me and keep me waiting for almost an hour. So at this point, I am fuming. I call corporate, who then calls the front desk. They tell me they will give me 10% off. That was not good enough, considering I care more about getting what I paid for to begin with. So, I call Hotels.com and start asking how to initiate a refund so I can go to the much better priced Hilton Garden Inn across the street, who will check me in NOW. The gentleman at the desk then tells me he expects it will be another hour or two until my room is ready. Its now 4pm. I don't have 2 hours to wait, because I have somewhere to be and I expect a service to be rendered when it is told to me it will be rendered. Angrily, I called corporate again and make an even bigger fuss about how ridiculous this is.

As I am doing this, I think someone else got on the horn and called the desk to tell them I was complaining again. Suddenly, my room is ready. Its 4:05. They hand me my keys (room 306) and send me on my way. I make it to my room, and I kid you not, the housekeeper is pulling up to it with carts galore. She speaks almost no English, and angrily sends us away because its not clean. So, in short, not only did they cause such a poor experience, but they gave us a DIRTY and UNAVAILABLE room to get us to go away. It would not have killed them to tell us in 15 minutes it will be ready so housekeeping could clean it. So, we wait some more in the hallway so she can rush to clean our room. After 15 minutes of this, we all make a mad dash to get in, get showered, and leave again.

The room being nice and the hotel being well kept are overshadowed here by the monstrous experience of check-in. When I checked out, I asked the new lady at the desk for an invoice so I can see both the charges and the discount, to which she replied that since I had a "zero balance" she could not.

The ridiculousness continues.

My suggestion, is that if you still want to stay here, you call ahead and make sure they can advise that check-in will be ON TIME. I will never stay here again, that is for sure.

2 Thank Kimberly C
DPaez, General Manager at Sheraton Edison Hotel Raritan Center, responded to this review, April 16, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your candidness and apologize that we fell short of your expectations.

We did not anticipate the large group that stayed with us the night before your arrival would not be leaving their rooms until well after check out time. I am truly sorry you were inconvenienced and we were not able to check you in when you arrived. I have spoken to our Executive Housekeeper and the front desk team to learn where the miscommunication on assigning your room occurred. The service you describe was certainly not up to our standards.

I do hope you will reconsider and stay with us if you return to the Edison area.

General Manager, Sheraton Edison Hotel

Travelers are raving about these Edison hotels

Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed April 5, 2012

Well located. In the Raritan center complex. Good stay quality. Great rooms & beds. Food too was good. Limited menu though.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
DPaez, General Manager at Sheraton Edison Hotel Raritan Center, responded to this review, April 9, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write and share your recent experience with us. It is always nice to hear great comments about our hotel. I will make sure to share this with my team members.

General Manager, Sheraton Edison