“Not so easy to find from I-95”

Red Roof Inn Edison
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Edison
Reviewed July 6, 2008

We stayed here during our move from NC to Boston. Parking lot was very big and well-lit, enough so that we weren't fretful about having our moving truck out there all night. The bathroom was tiny, but they have the sink and mirror separate from the tub and toilet. It wasn't easy to find this hotel coming from I-95, especially at night and in the rain. But the best thing about any Red Roof Inn is that they're pet friendly.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CrashDavis8

Reviewed June 8, 2008

A question: What's an average budget motel like?
A clue: You have to walk outside and go around the building to the registration desk to get an iron and table-top ironing board.
This is not a complaint; just a reality check for travelers who'd like to know that sort of thing.

I booked the room by phone late Saturday night during an emergency trip to see a relative in the hospital. It was close to JFK Medical Center (2-3 miles) and only $68. Plus, the other hotels I called were full.

Basically, I just needed a room to sleep, shower and check-out by 9am. So, for a non-fussy, tired traveler, this room at first glance was adequate. I did not have high expectations, and it did not dissappoint.

The room looked recently remodeled, but unless the management details everything regularly, I doubt that even the no-frills appeal will hold up for very long. For example: the simulated wood flooring in the bathroom-- what's that going to look like in 6 months?!

The desk staff was friendly. I needed a cab to take me back to the hospital in the morning, and the receptionist called for a driver that arrived in less than 10 minutes. (He charged me $15 which seemed high for a 6-minute ride.)

Under similar circumstances, I'd probably stay at this Red Roof Inn again. Ironically, however, there's a Fairfield Inn directly across the street. And I found out that I could have gotten a serious upgrade for only $20 more (hot breakfast included). At least next time I'll hopefully have more choices.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank Pathen22
Reviewed May 10, 2008

I used this as a launching point for touring Manhattan. Definitely a LOT cheaper than a hotel in the city, and only approx 1-hour to the Staten Island Ferry giving me a free trip into the city with a very cheap $5 parking fee at a lot near the ferry.

I was a bit nervous about choosing such a low-priced motel, but the Red Roof web site indicated that the room was recently remodeled which made me decide to give it a try. I was disappointed about the quality of the remodeling, though. The renovation was clearly done to minimize the cost. There were still remnants of the old 1970s light fixtures and the smoke detector also appears to be from that era (yikes!).

Yes, the room had a newer wood veneer floor in the bathroom and newer carpet and furniture but this hotel is obviously very busy because these newer items were getting beaten-up fast. Give it another 2 years and the room will be in desperate need of another remodel.

Cleanliness was not too good. The bathroom had not been cleaned well. The room (nonsmoking room) had a musty odor. Only a minimal amount of towels were provided and they were just a tad getting on the grubby side. The bed sheets didn't have any stains, thankfully, but there was a tear in the sheets on the side.

The shower spray and hot water were good.

The motel is right off I-287 and there is a fair amount of traffic noise. It is a motel-style building so the room doors go directly outside. There is a Marriott Fairfield across the street.

If I come back to the New York area, I would consider staying here again... but I would also investigate other hotels even if they cost a bit more.

• Stayed: April 2008
2  Thank kanling
Reviewed March 8, 2008

For the price paid for the room, I must say that what I got was ok. I needed a place to stay, that wasn't too far from New York. As I don't live in the US, I had been restricted to doing my research (for a place to stay) on the internet.

I was a bit sceptical about the place, mainly due to the very low rates that were being charged. But on arrival, I was greeted by a very polite receptionist and on getting to my room the place was very neat (& cosy) indeed.

This is strictly a "no frills" place - in other words, all you get is a place to sleep. If you are looking for something more than a place to stay for a short period (max 1 week), this may not be the place for you.

I will surely stay here again, when next I visit that part of the US.

• Stayed: March 2008
Reviewed March 6, 2008

Considering how expensive hotels in NJ can be, this is a fine place to stay. Don't expect anything fancy, tho. The rooms are clean, however they can be slightly noisy (as I stated in the prior review, turn the fan on to low, it helps). Hotel is close to the freeway, and close to Edison. It's ~20 minutes to the Metropark NJT train station, which gets you into midtown Manhattan in less than an hour. I like staying here because it's safe, a good value, and a central location. Their most expensive room, with a king bed and a desk to work on, was something like $80 plus tax. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank KenCarol
Reviewed February 11, 2008

a reasonable place .
it was clean and conveniently located . the room was very small but still acceptable for 1 night . the thin walls might cause problem if ppl next door are noisy but it didn't happen to me .

• Stayed: February 2008
1  Thank Kamitravel
Reviewed August 1, 2005

The Edison Red Roof Inn is a great value for your money. We found an affordable rate of $69 online. The hotel was recently renovated, and our room was clean and comfortable. The beds were particularly good -- excellent back support, yet cozy. We also had a very friendly greeting from the desk clerk, unusual for a budget property. Would stay here again!

A note -- rooms do not have hair dryers, so bring your own. I was able to get one from the front desk last minute, but I think it was the only one available.

• Stayed: July 2005