“pet urine was just too much!”

Red Roof Inn Edison
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Edison
Reviewed August 14, 2012

I sent this to the Red Roof Manager who replied with a canned response saying how sorry he was and that they strive to please - yada, yada.

"We came from south Florida to Metuchen to bury my youngest child, then encounter an accommodation issue that doesn't warrant enough concern for you to write a personal note, so you a employ a canned response. Are you really that busy?

The only (reasonable) expectation we had was that #159 would be free of the stench of pet urine which permeated the room, including the mattress, which, by the way, I hope has been removed by now. It would have been the decent thing to do to forewarn us, but I guess that would exceed our expectations.

I have been in the hospitality business and I recognize the futility in writing this, but at least I've made two professionally operated organizations aware of how you take care of business, and how you respond to a customer's complaint."

Lee Ben Clarke

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Ben C

Reviewed August 7, 2012

We checked in late in the evening. The desk person seemed very confused on how to check me in and seeemed even more confused when asked if we could add a day to our stay. (We did not end up staying a second night.) After getting to the room, we quickly found out the toilet could not flush because the handle was broken. We had to take the lid off the tank to flush the toilet. Also, my reservations were for 4 and there were 3 washcloths and towels and no soap. I went to the office to tell the desk person and he went someplace and brought back 2 towels, washcloths and hand towels that were unfolded - like he pulled them out of the dryer - and put them through the opening in the security opening. When I told him about the toilet, he said, "Ok, I will let them know tomorrow." A new room or any other consolation was offered. Since it was already past midnight and we had an early morning, I just went back to my room. Everything else about the room was fine. No continental breakfast was offered. I am not sure if I would recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank justaflagirl
Schlamie, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Edison, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2012

Dear Justaflagirl , Thanks for staying with us and for taking the time to share your experience with others. I am glad to hear your room was clean and comfortable and appreciate the kind comments. I do apologize that your toilet did not function correctly and that you did not receive folded towels. Next time if a similar situation were to occur please tell us about anything not to your liking and we would be happy to address that immediately. Thanks for your comments and I do hope that if you return to the area you stay with us again.
William Ashenfelder

Reviewed July 25, 2012

I love staying at this place because the front desk workers are always so friendly.. They always put me in a nice clean room. Rooms are big and the place is always quiet. Looking forward to my next stay..

Room Tip: I always get the deluxe rooms because they have a fridge and microwave.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank brooklyn_aj05
Reviewed July 5, 2012

Stayed three nights the last week of June on motorcycle tour of east coast. The Red Roof was a great choice. Rooms were clean, good a/c, nice staff. Train station is 3 miles away, Metechen. Paid 11 bucks each way to and from Penn Station NYC, 50 min each way. Cab fare to train is 8 dollars or walk, we did both and would advise a cab. On a budget, you can't go wrong staying here and touring NYC. The manager talked with us as we were departing and was very thankful for our business, and also gave us some tips of sites to see as we started south on our trip.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank DoubleE
Reviewed June 17, 2012

My friend and I were going to a music festival on the weekend of May 18-20 and we ran into last minute lodging difficulties and went to Red Roof Inn at Edison where Tina helped us alot in assuring us that we had a place to stay for two of the nights where we almost had no place to stay.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Eric B
Reviewed May 9, 2012

This Red Roof is undoubtedly the best we have encountered. At check-in, I was concerned that our room which was located on the back side of the lobby on the parking lot side between the two buildings would be noisy. The manager assured me they had a "no tolerance" policy for loud noise makers. The room was quiet, clean, great maid service. Definitely right for the price!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank treeturner
Reviewed February 20, 2012

Was a bit wary after reading the previous reviews but needed an affordable place to stay last minute for the evening.
Was pleasantly surprised. Clean room, comfortable bed. Basic necessities. The staff was very friendly and accomodating. Good value and easy location to major highways. Would definitely stay again if in the area.

Room Tip: Had an executive King room so lots of room, working space, desk etc.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business