“Disappointing”

Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Edison
South River, New Jersey
“Disappointing”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I stayed in the Presidential Suite on the night before and after my wedding. When I tried to check in, I was told there was no credit card on file for the suite although I had arranged this many months prior with the sales rep, Eva. Apparently, she was on vacation and they had no paperwork on file to verify. Obviously, someone didn't do their job. On the day of my wedding, I rec'd a call from Maria at the front desk saying that they would "shut everything off" if they didn't get a credit card to charge. I had to run down and try to diffuse the situation. This kind of customer service is reprehensible. On top of that, the room itself was disappointing since the water from the shower head was shooting up into the ceiling, the shower floor was moldy and the toilet didn't work properly. Enough said.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Erika K
Jonathan L, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Edison, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear Erika,

We discussed your situation at our managers' meeting yesterday and are investigating the details for how the event transpired. Furthermore, we have sent engineering department to examine/repair the bathroom which fell below your expectations.

PS. Glad to hear from the front desk your wedding was a success, and a belated congratulations!

Jonathan Lin
jlin@menlohotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Maryland
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We typically stay with family, so this time we only needed to book a hotel for an overnight stay in the Edison area of New Jersey. My husband took a chance and used and online discount booking service and you don't know where you going to be booked, until it's done. There we stood in our living room with fingers crossed and the return option clicked, because who knew where we were going to be sent...then it showed Crowne Plaza. We both breathed a sigh of relief, as I looked it up online and read some reviews from the faithful TripAdvisor.

As we pulled onto the parking lot, we both realized that it was familiar because friends of ours had their reception here a few years ago. The front desk attendant was pleasant and informed us that they upgraded our room, but I don't know what the difference is - oh well I'll take it. Hmm, haven't figured out what constitutes as the"upgraded room" yet. There's a comfortable king bed, flat screen tv, mini fridge (mini wet bar area minus the alcohol), couch, etc. It's so nice that I decided the family overnighter can wait for next visit. I called the online booking service we used and booked for our remaining time here.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Frecklechick
Jonathan L, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Edison, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Thank you for extending your stay at the Crowne Plaza Edison and we are glad that your mystery hotel booking adventure ended with a good result!

With the exception of our Junior and Presidential Suites, our upgraded rooms are on the 5th floor. The 5th floor is a "quiet zone" with delayed housekeeping hours. These rooms have some additional room features such as granite bathroom floors. Additional amenities include bathrobe, extra bathroom commodity, with complimentary slippers and soda coming soon. The 5th floor also has access to its own business center and concierge lounge that serves complimentary wine/beer/finger food Monday-Thursday 3pm-8pm.

We hope you will return on your next visit to Edison!
Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 10, 2013

The lobby is beautiful and the rooms are nice and large. A bonus is the friendly Manager, George Kovacs. We always have a pleasant stay here when we want to visit family in the area. They have a shuttle and can take you to the train station to NY.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank FrequentHotel
Jonathan L, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Edison, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Thank you for your encouragement to the hotel!

I will let George know you appreciated his service, I am sure he will be excited. We do have one of the largest guest rooms in the area at 425 square feet per room!

We look forward to your next stay with us.

Jonathan Lin
jlin@menlohotels.com
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I sent an email to Guest Relations at Crown Plaza detailing my disappointing experience at the Edison hotel. I received an automatic email back saying they would respond to my email within 5 days. 12 days later I received a response that said my email was forwarded to the manager at the Edison hotel and I would receive a response from him within 48 hours. It has now been 6 days and I have not heard a word. I have sent yet another email to the original response indicating this and have yet to hear back. Despite the claim of Crowne Plaza that their customers are of the upmost importance, they must not really believe that, or their customer service would not be so poor.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Greetings CADTraveller,

Thank you for voicing your concern with the hotel as we are always looking for ways to improve. We believe your issue had been resolved a few weeks ago and we are sorry of the inconvenience that it had caused you.

We hope you will forgive us and return for another stay.

Travelers are raving about these Edison hotels

Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed May 21, 2013

I made reservations with this hotel since my daughters and myself were traveling to New York for the weekend. I had contacted the hotel front desk to inform them of my late arriaval due to delay on the highway. The representative assured me that the reservation was still in place eventhough the call was made after 6pm. Another call was placed to the hotel when we were a couple of exits away and the representative informed me the reservations were cancelled and there were no other rooms or partner properties that will accomadate us and when he when I informed him of the previous call he stated it was not his mistake. Well, the next day the manager Dwayne was contacted and he was not helpful with my complaint or concerns either. Personally I believe they have no true customer service skills based on my experience. I will never recommend this property to anyone

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Elaine C
Jonathan L, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Edison, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Greetings Elaine,

Apologies for the great inconvenience you experienced. No excuses that we were unable to at the very least locate a hotel for you to rest.

I am sorry Dwayne was not able to resolve your disappointment. If you send me a message or email me at jlin@menlohotels.com, I will personally see through a great experience at our hotel on your next trip to the area.
PR
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I stayed here from 04/27 to 05/03 to attend business meetings. The size of the room is nice and big and the bed is confortable with plenty of pillows. The restaurant is good (depends on what you order). And that's all the good in the hotel.

The lack of cleanliness in the room was disgusting. I'm a long hair brunnette, and since day 1 I found a short black hair in the shower wall. Every day when I took a shower I verified, and the hair was in the shower wall during my whole stay. You can see the residues of shampoo and conditioner from previous guests in the shower curtain. I blow dry my hair on my first night at the hotel, and my hair remained over the bathroom counter top for about 3 to 4 days. The rug of the room was dirty. It had a bubble gum residues by the bed side. The walls of the room were paper thin. I could hear EVERYTHING the guests of the next rooms talked and did at their rooms.

The conference rooms were clean, but the chairs were in a disrepair state.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank devotemom
Thank you for the compliments on the size of the room and our restaurant.

I am disappointed to hear about the unsatisfactory cleanliness of your hotel room. Our hotel has been receiving excellent cleanliness reviews since implementing a 100-points inspection program. If you would like to message me the room you stayed in it would really help us pinpoint the issue.
Austin, TX
Reviewed May 19, 2013

I stayed here on the recommendation of my client and was pleasantly surprised at the room assigned - it was HUGE, comfortable, and well laid out. The bathroom amenities (shampoo, soaps, etc.) were luxe, and in the main room, there was more than enough space to lay out suitcase, laptop bag, etc.

Bed was comfy, chairs were nice, and there were enough plugs to let everything charge easily (no crawling behind nightstands or under desks to access plugs.)

I would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: I noticed the next morning that there was a newspaper outside of every other room, which is why the...