“Great Food, Great Ambiance”
Review of Skylark Diner

Skylark Diner
Ranked #6 of 296 Restaurants in Edison
Cuisines: Diner
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed November 21, 2012

Stopped by the Skylark Diner while in New Jersey on business, and ended up going back several times during my stay.

The place does not have the same look and feel, or menu, as your typical NJ diner. When you enter they have an up-scale bar area to the right and the dining area to the left. The bar carries a lot of nice wines and craft beer.

Our server was friendly and prompt and provided great service.

People in our group had the Crab Cakes, Salmon, Portuguese Sausage and Shrimp, Spare Rib and a couple of burgers. Every dish was outstanding.

This place is a great restaraunt for many occassions as your pretty much guaranteed a good meal.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

I agree with a previous reviewer, that you have to know what you are getting before going here. If you are looking for a typical greasy spoon diner, this is not it. The best description would be modern comfort food. It is much more expensive than a traditional diner, but not prohibitively. Both my wife and I had the short ribs. These were tasty, but were not what either of us expected. The meat was tender but was not fall apart tender as short ribs often are. These were more the texture of pot roast. It was delicious, but the texture was more toothsome. Overall, a very tasty meal and we would go back.

Reviewed October 10, 2012

What was once a fun place has declined over time. Menu is much more limited than in past. Interior needs a refurb. Food is just okay now, sometimes a bit less. This used to be a family favorite. Now we rarely choose it.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

Love the interior design of the place. This is our second time here. Had to come back when visit our son at Rutgers. We had some really good sandwiches. Recommend the Argentina Steak sandwich and the basque breakfast sandwich. Oh and they have fresh squeezed orange juice. On Sundays they have a bar tender pushing a cart around offering to make you a blood mary or another drink. Too early for me but great idea.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

Skylark is caught between a rock and hard place; people who go there expecting diner food and instead get high quality food at much higher than a diner's prices. And those who go there to experience high end food and instead are welcomed to a diner. It is hard to please people like that. But, I love both a diner, and this place way cooler than a regular "Tic-Toc" diner, and great food.
Went there last week another couple to have our first double date. Everybody loved the place and they liked the food too. We had Picky Toe crab dip and fried calamari for appetizers. They were both good and tasty. My wife had the fish and chips, beautiful cod fillets were dipped and fried to perfection with great fries. I had the grilled shrimp and escalops which were done just right, not tough but melt in your mouth kind of food.
My only suggestion is the wait staff, while I have been there and had great waiters wait on me, this time around the kid who served us walked around half the time without aim or care.
Go there an enjoy.