“Clean w/ great service!”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Edgewater - NYC Area
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Edgewater
Jackson Township, Ohio, United States
“Clean w/ great service!”
Reviewed March 22, 2012

Hot breakfast and dinner, clean rooms, and excellent hospitality! Family accomodations, shopping plaza attached, suburban area with another shopping plaza three minutes away. 20 minutes to New York, catch the bus across the street to NYC. Too many amenities to share, stay here you'll be pleased.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Champlain, New York
Reviewed March 5, 2012

We spent three nights here to avoid paying high NYC hotel prices. The hotel shuttle takes you to the ferry which is 10 minutes away. Ferry ride- $9 each way- was quick- 8 minutes and you are in NYC! Excellent breakfast with many choices. Plenty of seating in the lobby and friendly staff. The hotel was renovated a year ago, and it shows. The area is very nice and there are restaurants within walking distance. Tons of shopping in the area too if you didn't find what you wanted in NYC.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the NYC skyline.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Somerset, New Jersey
Reviewed February 16, 2012

Recently stayed here when I had to travel for work in New York City. What a great alternative than staying in NYC. The hotel had a shuttle that took me to the ferry station which is very easy and cheap. I was in NYC within 10 minutes. The hotel itself couldn't be located any better. It sits on top of a shopping area that has tons and tons of restaurants and retail outlets. The staff was very accommodating and seemed like they went out of their way to make my stay wonderful. And like other Homewood Suites, they also offer free breakfast and dinner which included a salad bar, entrees, desserts and beer/wine. Do yourself a favor and stay here.

Room Tip: See if they have a suite with a view of New York City!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Fred C
Reviewed February 3, 2012

We stated at this hotel on a recent trip to NYC it is conveniently located along the Hudson with quick access to the ferry. The Edgewater area is very nice with beautiful views of the city. Homewood Suites was clean, the staff friendly and efficient. They provide a complimentary breakfast and dinner daily. The breakfast was better than the dinner but you can't go wrong with free, the convenience was so nice. Also this hotel is located next to The Promenade which has great stores such as Express, Ulta, bath and body works, panera and Chipotle just to name a few. It snowed during our stay so it was nice to have something to do and you don't have to drive, just step right out of the hotel and you are there. There are also lots of places to eat along the main road and a Target and PathMark nearby. Our room had a full kitchenette complete with a dishwasher!! Loved this hotel and our stay was fabulous. There is a washer and dryer available and the place is very kid friendly. My husband goes to NY on business and we prefer to stay here over anywhere! I especially love to go to the TJ Maxx and Marshalls shoe shop that is just down the road, they have the best stuff, better than what I can usually find in Maryland where I am from. We prefer to stay here and take the ferry than to stay in the city!!

• Stayed March 2011
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed January 27, 2012

I had to take two stars off because of noise pollution.
One for the lack of door mechanisms that prevented other guests from allowing their doors to slam shut from wide open and another because the elevator sounded like the gates of hell opening with an excruciating, metal on metal grinding.

I think that the hhonors preference setting for "high floor, away from the elevators" is broken, or maybe there are too many diamond members in circulation. Yet another stay where I was as close as possible to the elevators - in-fact, my bedroom wall adjoined the shaft (oo-err!)
The dining area isn't very large and seemed to be fully occupied each evening, so I didn't bother with it.

PROS:
Friendly staff
Shuttle service was great - highly convenient lift to/from the ferry at port imperial
Jacuzzi tub
Great view of the city on the east facing side
Convenient location at the promenade, walking distance to several good (enough) places to eat.
*Actual* high speed internet (for a change) - I think I saw speeds around 400-500 K/sec over wireless.

CONS:
The noise from the elevators and the noise from the slamming guest suite doors
Large screen TVs in low definition, am I acting spoiled? - It just seems a huge waste to run SDTV on a 46"+ screen, it might as well be 27"
Check-in seemed slow and convoluted - having to provide my driver's license and credit card (which is on file already at hhonors and used to make the booking as it has for the last eight years) - then, just as I thought I was done with the procedure, I then had to put my bags back down again to find the rental car keys for the tag number and then sent back outside in the rain to hang a paper notice on my rearview mirror under threat of the car not being there by next morning otherwise.

To be fair, maintenance were in this morning, repairing the elevator, I guess things happen, but for the first few nights I had thought that the sounds of hell were coming from some outdoor rooftop ducting, so I hadn't asked to move - though that's what the hhonors preferences are supposed to be for.

Also, somehow my reservation was made for a smoking room (possibly the booking agent) - again, my hhonors preferences not only state non-smoking, but that smoking (or lack thereof) is the most important thing to me.

Without noise issues and lack of good sleep consequences, this would have been a great stay.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Hampton, New Hampshire
Reviewed January 20, 2012

My son is a student at Columbia's medical school in Washington Heights. There are no hotels nearby, so usually when visiting from New Hampshire we've been forced to stay in midtown, swallowing the high cost of parking. Located in New Jersey, alongside the Hudson and about 3 miles from the George Washington Bridge, the Homewood Suites is a perfect alternative. It took less than 10 minutes to reach his dorm located at the foot of the bridge on the NYC side. I arrived mid-December for a one night stay. It had been a long, harrowing drive due to an accident on the Bronx-River Expressway and I was cranky, stressed and hungry. The manager's reception was minutes before closing, so understandably food selections were thin. The gentleman manning the service saw my disappointment and offered to whip up "something" for me. In minutes, he prepared a delicious shrimp scampi...that and the open wine bar went a long way toward comforting and relaxing me. Everyone I encountered from the desk to housekeeping staff was equally warm and accomodating. The view of the NYC skyline out my suite was somewhat truncated, but still awe-inspiring. I also liked being just footsteps from shopping and a great walking/jogging path next to the river. My only complaint was being awakened by the sound of a dog barking and yipping in the room over me. The hotel is not dog-friendly, so this dog must have been smuggled in. (It sounded like it was purse-sized). I managed to fall back asleep and didn't mention the incident to the front desk until morning. Personnel took my complaint seriously and promptly investigated, but it appeared the offending guests had checked out. Based on my overall excellent experience (dog yipping aside), we have booked the hotel for the several days entailed in participating in my son's graduation in May.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the higher floors with a view of the NYC skyline. Worth the extra dollars.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Claudia6604
Chicago
Reviewed January 10, 2012

My family of 5 needed to find an affordable place close to New York, and also near Northern New Jersey for the Christmas weekend as we were visiting relatives in both areas. We looked for a suite in a convenient location with access to transportation to NYC as we preferred not to drive into the City. The Homewood Suites seemed like it met the criteria and the price was reasonable. We reserved a suite with 2 double beds.

When we arrived following a 15 hour drive, we learned that there was not a suite available but they offered us 2 studio rooms for the price of 1 suite. With an additional bathroom, and more privacy, we were pleased with this solution.

Both rooms were in excellent condition. They were clean, spacious, and quiet. The flat screen tv's were great and everything in the rooms worked. We experienced no problems.

It was a bit hard to locate the hotel because it is in a mall near the Hudson River and signage it limited and the roadways are a bit confusing, but after the finding it the first time, we learned how to get there from River Road. Parking was free and easy.

Because it is in an upscale mall, the kids were able to get late night snacks at Chipotle one night. They almost went to the movies another night, but fell asleep first. We finished our shopping locally before the family holiday festivities. Great location. And fairly easy to get into NYC by car, ferry, or even PATH train - lots of choices and the hotel shuttle to the ferry terminal - which we didn't use, but were offered, seems very convenient and also links with the light rail to the PATH, Hoboken and Jersey City.

The breakfasts at the hotel were above average for comparable facilities. We always enjoy the make-your-own waffles, but having fresh fruit toppings, including blueberries, strawberries, and sliced mangoes - well stocked, by the way - as well as the usual whipped cream, butter, syrup, and chocolate sauce, made it a cut above the crowd.

During our stay over the Christmas weekend, we found the entire Homewood Suites staff, from the front desk, to housekeeping, maintenance, the shuttle driver, and especially the breakfast team to be among the most helpful and friendly of any hotel we've ever stayed in. I've been in Ritz Carltons, Four Seasons, Marriotts, etc. around the world. But I can't recall an entire staff that was uniformly and sincerely friendly and helpful. The people here were so nice and warm - and it was a holiday weekend when people often have a grudge about having to work. I can't say enough positive about the place.

When we checked out, there was a bit of an accounting problem, but that was taken care of efficiently- with a fax and a phone call - by Sandy, the general manager, who confirmed the errors had been reversed with an email.

Overall, we were very pleased with our choice and it helped make our trip a great success and pleasure.

Room Tip: There are rooms with river/city views that might add even more pleasure to your stay.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank FanofHockey
Also consider these accommodations in or near Edgewater
Comfort Inn
#3 of 4 in Edgewater
Upper West Side
Royal Park Hotel
Royal Park Hotel
#390 of 468 in New York City

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton Edgewater - NYC Area? Share your experiences!