“sleep, those little slices of death.”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Edgewater - NYC Area
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Edgewater
Reviewed January 27, 2012

I had to take two stars off because of noise pollution.
One for the lack of door mechanisms that prevented other guests from allowing their doors to slam shut from wide open and another because the elevator sounded like the gates of hell opening with an excruciating, metal on metal grinding.

I think that the hhonors preference setting for "high floor, away from the elevators" is broken, or maybe there are too many diamond members in circulation. Yet another stay where I was as close as possible to the elevators - in-fact, my bedroom wall adjoined the shaft (oo-err!)
The dining area isn't very large and seemed to be fully occupied each evening, so I didn't bother with it.

PROS:
Friendly staff
Shuttle service was great - highly convenient lift to/from the ferry at port imperial
Jacuzzi tub
Great view of the city on the east facing side
Convenient location at the promenade, walking distance to several good (enough) places to eat.
*Actual* high speed internet (for a change) - I think I saw speeds around 400-500 K/sec over wireless.

CONS:
The noise from the elevators and the noise from the slamming guest suite doors
Large screen TVs in low definition, am I acting spoiled? - It just seems a huge waste to run SDTV on a 46"+ screen, it might as well be 27"
Check-in seemed slow and convoluted - having to provide my driver's license and credit card (which is on file already at hhonors and used to make the booking as it has for the last eight years) - then, just as I thought I was done with the procedure, I then had to put my bags back down again to find the rental car keys for the tag number and then sent back outside in the rain to hang a paper notice on my rearview mirror under threat of the car not being there by next morning otherwise.

To be fair, maintenance were in this morning, repairing the elevator, I guess things happen, but for the first few nights I had thought that the sounds of hell were coming from some outdoor rooftop ducting, so I hadn't asked to move - though that's what the hhonors preferences are supposed to be for.

Also, somehow my reservation was made for a smoking room (possibly the booking agent) - again, my hhonors preferences not only state non-smoking, but that smoking (or lack thereof) is the most important thing to me.

Without noise issues and lack of good sleep consequences, this would have been a great stay.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed January 20, 2012

My son is a student at Columbia's medical school in Washington Heights. There are no hotels nearby, so usually when visiting from New Hampshire we've been forced to stay in midtown, swallowing the high cost of parking. Located in New Jersey, alongside the Hudson and about 3 miles from the George Washington Bridge, the Homewood Suites is a perfect alternative. It took less than 10 minutes to reach his dorm located at the foot of the bridge on the NYC side. I arrived mid-December for a one night stay. It had been a long, harrowing drive due to an accident on the Bronx-River Expressway and I was cranky, stressed and hungry. The manager's reception was minutes before closing, so understandably food selections were thin. The gentleman manning the service saw my disappointment and offered to whip up "something" for me. In minutes, he prepared a delicious shrimp scampi...that and the open wine bar went a long way toward comforting and relaxing me. Everyone I encountered from the desk to housekeeping staff was equally warm and accomodating. The view of the NYC skyline out my suite was somewhat truncated, but still awe-inspiring. I also liked being just footsteps from shopping and a great walking/jogging path next to the river. My only complaint was being awakened by the sound of a dog barking and yipping in the room over me. The hotel is not dog-friendly, so this dog must have been smuggled in. (It sounded like it was purse-sized). I managed to fall back asleep and didn't mention the incident to the front desk until morning. Personnel took my complaint seriously and promptly investigated, but it appeared the offending guests had checked out. Based on my overall excellent experience (dog yipping aside), we have booked the hotel for the several days entailed in participating in my son's graduation in May.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the higher floors with a view of the NYC skyline. Worth the extra dollars.
1  Thank Claudia6604
Reviewed January 10, 2012

My family of 5 needed to find an affordable place close to New York, and also near Northern New Jersey for the Christmas weekend as we were visiting relatives in both areas. We looked for a suite in a convenient location with access to transportation to NYC as we preferred not to drive into the City. The Homewood Suites seemed like it met the criteria and the price was reasonable. We reserved a suite with 2 double beds.

When we arrived following a 15 hour drive, we learned that there was not a suite available but they offered us 2 studio rooms for the price of 1 suite. With an additional bathroom, and more privacy, we were pleased with this solution.

Both rooms were in excellent condition. They were clean, spacious, and quiet. The flat screen tv's were great and everything in the rooms worked. We experienced no problems.

It was a bit hard to locate the hotel because it is in a mall near the Hudson River and signage it limited and the roadways are a bit confusing, but after the finding it the first time, we learned how to get there from River Road. Parking was free and easy.

Because it is in an upscale mall, the kids were able to get late night snacks at Chipotle one night. They almost went to the movies another night, but fell asleep first. We finished our shopping locally before the family holiday festivities. Great location. And fairly easy to get into NYC by car, ferry, or even PATH train - lots of choices and the hotel shuttle to the ferry terminal - which we didn't use, but were offered, seems very convenient and also links with the light rail to the PATH, Hoboken and Jersey City.

The breakfasts at the hotel were above average for comparable facilities. We always enjoy the make-your-own waffles, but having fresh fruit toppings, including blueberries, strawberries, and sliced mangoes - well stocked, by the way - as well as the usual whipped cream, butter, syrup, and chocolate sauce, made it a cut above the crowd.

During our stay over the Christmas weekend, we found the entire Homewood Suites staff, from the front desk, to housekeeping, maintenance, the shuttle driver, and especially the breakfast team to be among the most helpful and friendly of any hotel we've ever stayed in. I've been in Ritz Carltons, Four Seasons, Marriotts, etc. around the world. But I can't recall an entire staff that was uniformly and sincerely friendly and helpful. The people here were so nice and warm - and it was a holiday weekend when people often have a grudge about having to work. I can't say enough positive about the place.

When we checked out, there was a bit of an accounting problem, but that was taken care of efficiently- with a fax and a phone call - by Sandy, the general manager, who confirmed the errors had been reversed with an email.

Overall, we were very pleased with our choice and it helped make our trip a great success and pleasure.

Room Tip: There are rooms with river/city views that might add even more pleasure to your stay.
3  Thank FanofHockey
Reviewed December 30, 2011

We stayed here in May 2011 for three nights at a rate of about $250/night which we found pricey. However, our room was comfortable and clean and larger than I expected. Only negative about our room was that it faced the shopping area and we could hear a lot of noise during the early evening from our room on the 2nd floor. Breakfast was the best part of the hotel, as all the hot items seemed freshly cooked (and not just microwaved). Plenty of choices for everyone. Location was optimal for our purposes -- 7 minute drive during rush hour to the NY Waterway Ferry in Weehawken, where we took a 8-min ferry into midtown.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 27, 2011

To homewood suites in edgewater staff (both Julie - the director of sales and Sandy - the general manager):

You guys are the most unhelpful, condescending people that I've ever spoken with. You do not work at all from your non-responsiveness for 5 weeks and you do not treat your customers with respect from the tone of your voice. Even after calling 5 times every week trying to get your billing error adjusted, you have the audacity to still have an attitude with me. I told you how frustrated I am and that this needs to be adjusted. We are a corporate account with numerous nights of stay and for you to treat your returning customers with such disrespect is UNPROFESSIONAL. I asked you to send me an email for documented communication and you refused to do that also...

I am so tired of your bad service... no more... you guys really need to clean up your act all together and learn what it means to serve your customers. It is not about you and how "correct" you are.. you guys clearly made a mistake and how can you make me feel like I am the one who did something wrong?

Please clean up your act!!!!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Sinch P
Reviewed December 7, 2011

My wife and I recently stayed here and rented two suites for our family. It was a way to do Christmas in NYC on a budget, when hotel rates in the city skyrocket. We paid $160/night, which includes the complementary hot breakfast and free parking. We did have to still get to the city, but we opted to drive to the Path station in Hoboken (about 10 minutes) and take the subway over one day and take the NY Waterway boat another day. The Waterway boat cost around $75 for four of us round trip and it was $10 to park, then a $10 cab ride uptown. The path was much cheaper and it goes as far as 33rd street, then you can walk to the sights or jump on the NY Subway. Anyway, the hotel was very clean. Rooms were nice and we had a view of the Manhattan skyline. Ate the first night at PF Changs, which is about 5 miles away in West New York. The hotel is part of a small upscale shopping mall, but we did not have time to go in any of these stores. So, we recognized that being here was not as convenient as previous stays when we have stayed in a downtown NYC hotel, but this worked out just the way we planned.

Reviewed November 8, 2011

Its close enough to the city if you don't want to pay a hotel price in Manhattan. Having a kitchen inside makes it even easier if you want to cook. There is a supermarket down the block as well.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Edgewater
Comfort Inn
Upper West Side
Astor on the Park
Astor on the Park
#399 of 471 in New York City

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton Edgewater - NYC Area? Share your experiences!