“Terrible”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Eatontown
“Terrible”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Rude employees. Terrible customer service. NEVER have an event here! I blocked a few rooms for my wedding here. They did not hand out the hotel bags correctly, ignored me when I asked about it, tried to give me someone else's hotel bag. I booked a suite for almost 300 bucks and it wasn't even that great. They didn't even acknowledge that it was my wedding night. Will never stay here or recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank babylors
byouchah, Corporate Director Internet Marketing at Sheraton Eatontown Hotel, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear Babylors,

Please accept our sincere apology again for difficulties you experienced while staying with us. We know that your wedding day is a life event and are sorry things were not not executed as smoothly as possible. We can have over ten wedding groups in house on a summer weekend and we usually handle gift bags flawlessly. I believe you have spoken to someone on our staff already but if you have any further concerns, don't hesitate to contact me.

byouchah@sheratoneatontown.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Im not sure how old this Sheraton is because in has a nice clean fresh feel. The only reason I even bring up age is for a positive observation and that brings me to what I didn't notice, at first. When I arrived I went right to my room and ordered room service. Most things on the menus were reasonably priced, the food arrived quickly and hot. The fries were even hot and crispy. While I was eating I thought, "this hotel must be empty because I haven't heard any noise from the hallway" not one door slam or people talking too loud in the hallway. I little while later I had to go down to get something from my car, as I walked past other rooms I could hear people being loud, I think it was some guys watching basketball but I could only hear it when I was right in front of the door. Back in my room I heard nothing. So what I'm getting to in my long winded way is that this hotel must be old enough that it was built when they were still building quality hotels with thick wall and doors. Most of the time you don't notice that your not hearing people walking over top of you or not making noise in the room next to you. The room was spotless and well maintained. The bedding was your standard Sheraton nice and great feather down pillows. The indoor pool looked really nice as did the dinning room and lounge. The staff was friendly and attentive and it was no problem getting a late checkout. More about the room, the curtains are thick and kept the morning light out and I love a hotel that lets you set the AC fan to on. I hate when the fan turns on and off all night. If your going to be in this area, this is your hotel. Lots of places to eat near by including Joes Crab Shack.

Room Tip: Rooms are large.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank JAkles
byouchah, Corporate Director Internet Marketing at Sheraton Eatontown Hotel, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear JAkles,

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a thorough review. We appreciate your feedback and pleased to hear you had such a nice experience with us. Joe's Crab Shack is great and there are also some really great restaurants in nearby Long Branch. We hope to welcome you again soon.

Cedar Grove, New Jersey
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Some times you have to wonder about having a wedding at a hotel.....not if you have it here! From the minute you walked into the cocktail hour and until the last song was played, the service and food was perfect. The outside area at cocktail hour was also very nice. The manager never stopped to make sure everyone was taken care of. (Over 200 guests). My compliments to all!

Room Tip: Stayed next door at the Staybridge Suites which were excellent!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Wylee51,

Congratulations on such a happy occasion. We are so pleased to hear you had a wonderful experience with us. Thank you for trusting us with your event and leaving your feedback.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 7, 2013

I stay at this hotel at least once a year and after i reviewed this time last year management replied that they were in the process of refurbishment, hence when I arrived on Monday evening was somewhat disappointed to be given a very dreary and grubby looking room on the 3rd floor- definitely not refurbished. This room had a connecting door, although I wasn't sure to where, as I was at the end of the corridor as far as guest rooms were concerned. Being tired, as i had just arrived from the uk, i settled down to bed very quickly, but the noise from the tv in next room was loud and kept me awake for some time, however i did not have the energy to do anything about it. The second night the noise persisted but even worse than the tv, I woke at 4 am to the sound of snoring coming from the next room at this point I decided I could no longer stay in this room the sound could even be heard through the walls and not just the connecting door. I packed and waited until it was light at which point I requested a room with no connecting door and was promptly given one on the 5th floor, a room which was better but still no sign of any refurbishment. This hotel is convenient for me for our offices but next time I will try one of the newer hotels in the area.

Room Tip: Make sure there is no connecting door.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Tobywasp,

Thank you for staying with us again and leaving your feedback. Due to the impact and number of displaced families from Superstorm Sandy, we postponed our planned update to the end of 2014. Your business is very important to us. Please reach out to me directly the next time plans bring you to the area and I will personally make your reservations. Please accept our apology for providing a less than exceptional guest experience for you. I hope you will give us another chance.

byouchah@sheratoneatontown.com

Travelers are raving about these Eatontown hotels

Ballston Spa, New York
Reviewed May 29, 2013

We recently stayed at the Sheraton Eatontown for the night after a friend's wedding. Overall the experience was good, and there were no issues with the staff - something I wanted to point out after reading some of the other reviews.

Due to heavy traffic we would not be able to check in before the wedding, so I called to make sure it wouldn't be an issue and front desk said it would not be. Checking in later that nigh was easy, though a bit slow. We had a delux king room on the fifth floor.

Room was very spacious with updated furniture and a large tv. Nice sitting area and large windows overlooked the pool. However, the bathroom could use some updating, though it was clean and as a taller person, I appreciated being able to stand under the shower (rather than in front of it).

Only real issue we found was the bed. Not sure it the mattress was old or just extra firm, but I found it uncomfortable and had some difficulty sleeping soundly.

Overall, it was a very good stay and we were impressed at the accommodations when basically all we needed as a comfortable place to spend the night before driving home.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
byouchah, Corporate Director Internet Marketing at Sheraton Eatontown Hotel, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Dear atm91,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback. We hope you had an enjoyable time at your friend's wedding. I'm not sure what could have been the issue with your bed and am sorry to hear you didn't have a Sheraton Sweet Sleeper experience. I will forward your comments to the management team so we can investigate and correct.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed May 28, 2013

This is the only Sheraton within a commutable distance to client site so I have been staying at this hotel for the past month or so. The lobby and club lounge are well maintained and look better than the most rooms. The club floor rooms are pretty good but the other floors needs a major face-lift. The rooms can feel dull and damp at times.

The staff is excellent and try to take care of all your needs. The service is what I would expect from Sheraton just disappointed in how old the rooms are.

Room Tip: Try to get club access and room on the club floor.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear P D,

We appreciate your business and the time you took to leave us your feedback. I'd like to have the team look into the rooms you've stayed in so any issues can be addressed. If you have time, please email me any further detail you have or stop in and say hello during your next stay.

We are all so pleased to read your experience with staff has been a good one. If I can ever be of any assistance, please don't hesitate to reach out. Thank you for staying at Sheraton Eatontown Hotel.

Morristown, New Jersey
Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here last Saturday for the NJ Marathon. It was the host hotel. As far as the hotel itself was concerned, it was pretty much par for the course for the Jersey Shore...in need of updates and repairs but decent.

After finally settling into our room around 9pm (we had just flown back from a Miami vacation earlier that day) we discovered that the toilet in our bathroom did not work. After inspecting it ourselves, we found a dirty used water bottle in the tank. It was unrelated to the problem but raised concern as to how meticulously the rooms are cleaned and maintained. Still not sure why it was there.

We debated whether to bring it to mgmt attention because it was late (9:30pm) and we had to be up at 4:30 am for the race, but when we realized the toilet was unusable, we had no choice.

My husband went to the front desk and 2 nice gentlemen there initially attempted to help but were cut off by a man who appeared to be their manager. My husband attempted to tell him what was wrong with the toilet and the manager cut him off and said we should've brought it to his attention sooner. He then told my husband that he can't fix the problem if he can't tell him what is wrong. He never offered to come to the room to see for himself, to send maintenance or showed any concern whatsoever.

When my husband became frustrated and told the manager that he just needed a toilet, the manager told my husband that he was harassing him and that he was going to have him removed.

We are Starwood Preferred members and travel often and have NEVER been treated so poorly. It was virtually unfathomable. At that point, my husband decided to walk away because he was getting no where and did not want to escalate the situation. He asked the manager for his card with the intent of calling corporate.

By this point, more than 30 minutes had gone by with no solution and my husband called corporate from the room. That call lasted at least an additional 30 minutes. We were out on hold several times, presumably so corporate could reach out to the hotel because maintenance all of a sudden showed up at our door....but only after corporate got involved.

What became even more unbelievable was that when corporate asked for the name of the manager, my husband read the card that was given to him by the manager and realized that the name on it was "Loretta." The manager he spoke to would not even provide his own card or his real name - in the event he didn't have a card.

Maintenance checked the toilet and determined that it was a faulty valve. We were told that it would take at least an hour and a half to fix. By this time, however, it was well after 11pm and we had to be up by 4:30. (Had the manager just dealt with the situation like a professional when we first approached him, it could have already been fixed by this point)

After maintenance left, we were put on hold several more times...again, presumably, so the plumber could report back to the hotel and corporate with the cause of the problem.

Thereafter, the corporate representative came back on the phone and offered us 5000 Starwood points to close the matter. While I suppose it was a decent gesture, what I really wanted at that point was just a working toilet...having paid over $200 for a run down hotel room, I didn't think that was too much to ask. I asked what my alternative was and was told that the matter would be kept open and reported to the hotel manager directly. I told them that neither alternative solved the problem that we had no working toilet so they may as well just keep the matter open.

My husband and I then had to use the public restrooms in the lobby for the rest of our stay.

We were contacted after checkout by another hotel manager and she offered to take 20% off of our room because we "refused" the Starwood points. There was no apology, no "hey, sorry, we didn't mean to threaten to arrest you when you got upset about having no toilet." They just completely did not care. We responded that this was unacceptable but received no response since.

Promoted by this experience, I read previous Tripadvisor posts and realized that rude management and malfunctioning toilets are not isolated incidents at this hotel. I am a huge fan of Starwood, but will never stay at this hotel again. Management showed a complete lack of care and respect for its guests. I may not have gotten a satisfactory resolution to my situation, but I will be sure to share this story with as many others as possible so no one has to endure the obnoxious, callous, rude treatment by management that we did.

(I should also note that when we initially checked in, there were 2 events going on at the hotel - a pasta dinner for the race and a wedding. My husband and I both heard the rude manager comment out loud to a co-worker at that point, "the food back there is worse than it was last night." And then he laughed. We didn't think anything about it at the time or even discuss it, but after seeing how he operated and how he treated us, we both realized that the comment was just further evidence of how little he cared for his responsibilities.)

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Jene74
byouchah, Corporate Director Internet Marketing at Sheraton Eatontown Hotel, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear Jene74,

Please accept our sincere apologies for your experience while staying with us. We strive to make the stay of every one of our guests an exceptional one. It is disappointing for us all to hear we did not make this happen for you and your husband. We hope your time at the New Jersey Marathon and Jersey Shore were good ones.

Our Front Desk Supervisor was Manager on Duty during the evening of your stay. In reading the guest service log from that evening, I gather he was having a hard time understanding what the problem was with your room and is sorry for any miscommunication. Otherwise, he would have been happy to rectify the issue quickly.

We are sorry to hear you were up so late and had difficulty getting a resolution. Loretta's card was given to your husband because as the Front Desk Manager, she is his direct supervisor and the on property contact for guest experience issues. She forwarded me a copy of the apology email that was sent to your husband. If you would like to discuss anything further, please feel free to contact me.

Again, we extend our sincere apologies in not providing an exceptional stay. We hope you will give us another chance and I would be happy to assist in the reservation. Thank you for your loyalty to Starwood and for being an SPG member.

byouchah@sheratoneatontown.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Eatontown
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites West Long Branch
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suit...
#1 of 3 in West Long Branch
Bungalow Hotel
Bungalow Hotel
#2 of 4 in Long Branch
Red Roof Inn Tinton Falls-Jersey Shore

Been to Sheraton Eatontown Hotel? Share your experiences!