“Food, Service & Atmosphere Is Excellent!”
Review of Joe's Crab Shack

Joe's Crab Shack
Ranked #40 of 58 Restaurants in Eatontown
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
New Jersey
“Food, Service & Atmosphere Is Excellent!”
Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stumbled across this restaurant by pure accident. Good thing I had not looked at the reviews here or we may have passed it by.
We were seated immediately, and our waiter "Anthony" stopped by to get us drinks. Had he not mentioned the variety of drinks they have, again I may not have discovered the tasty Bloody Mary. Loved the crab leg and olive served with the usual celery stalk.
Our crab, shrimp, sausage. Corn & potatoe pots were steamed perfectly. We laughed over the bibs Anthony brought out for us, each personalized with a saying!
My husband ate and ate with a smile the entire time and sounds of yummy satisfaction. What an unexpected great start to a holiday weekend.
The apple crumble with cinnamon ice cream was thoroughly enjoyed by my hubby and even half to bring home and the chocolate shake I enjoyed were great endings to a delicious meal.
At one point the servers even did a little dance around the dining room. The kids in the room were enjoying and clapping along.
We had a fun time and the food was excellent!! We will go there again next time in the area and will look for another place near our home.

• Visited May 2013

Galloway, New Jersey
“Overcooked Lobster Claws!”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I'll start with the good points: they don't take reservations BUT you can call ahead so that when you show up you get the first available table. I came with a group of 13 on Mother's day where the wait was 1.5 hours, but since we called ahead we only waited 30 minutes. Our waitress was very nice (but the hostess was miserable) so I'm not completely sold on the service. They provide chips & salsa for those people waiting to be seated. They have a playground for small children, so it was nice that my niece had something to do while the adults chatted.

Bad points: The restaurant is right off of a very busy highway. We sat in the "picnic" area and the view is just traffic & highway. As for food, I got the Samuel Adams steampot. My lobster claws were SO overcooked! It's a crab shack! Get the claws right! It literally tasted like rubber and was difficult to chew. It was as if they cooked the lobsters early on, and then re-cooked them to order. Horrible! The snow crab legs and clams were okay, nothing spectacular. The potatoes were actually UNDERcooked. The only thing I enjoyed in the steampot was the corn & sausage. I had the s'mores dessert and it was basically just 3 s'mores on a gigantic brownie. HUGE portion, very rich. Almost too difficult to consume, it needed something like ice cream to cut the richness. I shared it with 2 other people and they agreed. Lastly, the hostess left a horrible impression in my memory. She was absolutely miserable. She gave everyone that walked in dirty looks and on the way out, she said "Have a great day" almost sarcastically.

I live down the shore by Atlantic City, where there are plenty of seafood restaurants; many of which charge more per plate than Joe's Crab Shack. I would rather pay more and get better food & service than go back to the Joe's in Eatontown.

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank LuLy9482
West Long Branch, New Jersey
“Good crabs, no frills.”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Since we live on the Jersey Shore we are fond of our seafood. We have many fine seafood restaurants and when Joe's came to town we had to try it. The atmosphere is informal with many "crab" statements on the walls. There were 2 types of tables - picnic for large groups and square table for 4 or less. Each table comes complete with a hole in the middle with a bucket containing your utensils which It is then used as a receptacle for your trash. Since we like crabs we had the classic crab pot. The pot contained a nice assortment of crabs, potatoes, sausage and shrimp. We enjoyed the seasoning. It also came with a rather neat tool for opening crab shells which really worked well (you get to keep it). The menu has a large assortment of seafoods and landlover items. This is a family restaurant and you don't worry about getting "into" your food. Granted it is a chain, but the food is priced right and very good.

• Visited April 2013
Brick, NJ
“Definitely Needs Improvement”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I had higher hopes for this restaurant. Went with my son at an off peak time and the service was quite slow...if you are in a rush or really hungry...don't order the steampots!! They take forever..ex.) my son ordered one..a couple came in 20 mins. after us, sat down, ate and left, while our steampot just got to the table..crazy! Also, gotta say the bartender is not only light handed, but seemed inexperienced. The whole place seems to be run by a young, inexperienced staff, something they need to work on. I overheard the wait staff talking about how it was someone's first table, etc...very unprofessional. The crab nachos were okay, but really lacking the filling..therefore it was more like a plate of tortilla chips! If they get the kinks outs, use an experienced team, and beef up the kitchen, it would be worthwhile!.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Valerie M
“Good Food, Would go again”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

The food was delicious, but the service was slow. It could have been because we went on a Saturday evening, but even so, it took about 45 for our food to come and we were only a table of five. None the less, I would go there again.

• Visited March 2013