“Would come back”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in East Rutherford
Petawawa,Ont.,Canada
“Would come back”
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Just spent the weekend here and was very pleased with this place. I have read some of the comments and yes I agree the chairs in the breakfast room are peeling and in need of being replaced but the food was fine and considering the fact that there were 3 buses in the parking lot the staff made every attempt to keep the food coming. The rooms were clean and comfortable. We slept soundly so I guess the rooms are sound proofed. We had problems with the room phone it wouldn't ring. Luis at the front desk is Great and every helpful. The bus stop is just outside the door and it is so easy getting into New York city. Thanks.

Room Tip: If you are looking for a great place to eat you must try the Candlewick, not far from the hotel and...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank bfleury
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Fairfield Inn East Rutherford Meadowlands, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Bfleury,

We’re glad to hear you spent your weekend with us and had a pleasant stay. It’s good to know that you found our rooms to be clean and comfortable and our staff was friendly and helpful. I’ll let Luis know of your compliment to him and make sure he receives a special commendation for his outstanding service. Thanks again. We hope you will visit us again soon.

Nadege Volcy, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Polish first
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed August 5, 2012

This hotel is five minutes away from the sports complex. It's a typical Fairfield Inn clean and well run. Great for the budget conscious. It's also close to Secaucus train station (exit 15X on the Turnpike) for a quick train into New York City. Great free continental breakfast lots of cold and hot items to choose from. My only complaint is the chairs in the dining area. The seat coverings were peeling off in strips, which ruined the otherwise neat appearance of the room.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank LoveEurope411
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Fairfield Inn East Rutherford Meadowlands, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
LoveEurope411,

Thank you for taking a moment and writing about us on TripAdvisor. We’re pleased you had a pleasant stay with us. Glad to hear that you enjoyed our delicious continental breakfast as well as our clean suites and well run hotel. I apologize for the condition of the seat coverings and will look into this issue. We hope to see you again soon.

Aruba
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Stayed at this hotel with a group of 9 people (3 different rooms) for 7 nights. The reasons we chose to stay here is that we got a discount which means we paid way less than the rooms actually go for + have free wifi + have free breakfast + have easy access to the city.. sounds promising right? wrong. the first impression of the hotel is.. blahh.. it looks so rundown from the outside that it i don't think it deserves to have the "marriott" name. once inside it doesn't get much better. it kinda looks sketchy. elevators are really old and seem like they haven't been serviced in forever which makes it kinda scary.. chairs at the breakfast area are all torn up and worn out (wish i took pictures to show you!).. the roof in the hallways were the rooms are are very low (much lower than hotels) and the carpet in the hallways is old and stinky.. rooms are small.. bathroom doesn't have ventilation.. there was some mold along the side of the wall (again, wish i took pictures!) and the only good thing about the breakfast was the waffle maker! oh and the wifi is really bad!! it took FOREVER to load a page and it was soooo slow! they do have a computer downstairs that you can use.. but it is only ONE computer for the entire hotel.. however you can print there.. so it comes in handy..
then the service.. not up to marriott standards! associates were not friendly and did not even greet. there was one guy who was nice.. he's an engineer i don't remember his name but he is from Mexico and we had a nice conversation.. but he was the only friendly associate! everybody else it seemed like you were bothering them if you had a question (like about the bus system).

As you can read in all the other reviews on here the bus stops right infront of the hotel and takes you straight into the city. TIP: always buy a roundtrip ticket if coming back the same day because you CANNOT pay cash from the Port Authority Bus Terminal in NYC! We found out the hard way.. Or make sure you buy a ticket at the Port Authority before you board the bus.
If taking the bus back around 5pm be EARLY because a lot of commuters take the bus then and the lines get very long and you need to wait for the next bus.. so try to avoid going at that time.

We did stay at a hotel in the city for 2 nights and it is SO much better to be right in the city! Nothing compares to being able to go quickly to your hotel room to freshen up for dinner or just to take a quick nap! It is worth it! Trust me! Spend some extra cash by staying in the city!
The only reason I stayed here was because we got it cheap but we will probably never stay here again! I don't think this hotel deserves to carry the Marriott name. Definitely not up to par!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank ellabella1206
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Fairfield Inn East Rutherford Meadowlands, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
ellabella1206,

Thank you for taking the time to write about our hotel on TripAdvisor. I will review your comments with our team. Your feedback will help us enhance our training of Associates and see areas for improvement.

cagedmonkees
Reviewed July 23, 2012 via mobile

The hotel staff were responsive to requests (rollaway bed and shower chair). We left for dinner and they were in the room when we got back.

Bad: Ice machine was broken on 2nd and 3rd , the shower head in the handicapped bathroom were like using a garden hose. The carpets look worn and need to be replaced. A few of the chairs in the breakfast area needed cushions replaced. Overall, it's in need of a renovation.

Breakfast is standard fair waffles, juice coffee cereal, instant oatmeal. Would I stay there again? Probably not.

• Stayed July 2012
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Fairfield Inn East Rutherford Meadowlands, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Cagedmonkees,

It is nice to hear from you on TripAdvisor. We do appreciate you taking the time to comment about our hotel and providing us with items we can review for improvement. We invite you to come and stay with us again because we do have a friendly and helpful staff and plan to make improvements.

Baltimore, MD
Reviewed July 17, 2012

I chose this hotel because friends were getting married in NYC and hotels in the city were unfortunately out of my budget. For my purposes, the hotel was very good. As others have noted, the bus (NJ Transit line 163) picks you up right outside the hotel and drops you off across the street (there is a traffic light, so crossing the street is easy). The hotel is in Zone 3, so each way costs $4.25 (buy a round-trip when you board at the hotel, or make sure to purchase a ticket at the machine at Port Authority because you can't buy tickets on the bus departing Port Authority). The bus ride is approximately 20 minutes long, and the bus departs approximately every 20-30 minutes (schedule depends day and time). I highly recommend downloading the NJ Transit schedule for Bus 163, because the schedule tells you which Port Authority gate you need (the gate changes depending on time of day). If you arrive at Port Authority at night or on the weekend without that information, there may not be staff available to help you figure out where to go. I have traveled on buses around the world and will say that the Port Authority is the most confusing bus terminal I have ever been in, has no central information board to direct you to your bus gate, and minimal or no staff to assist in getting information.

As a single woman (late 20s) traveling alone, I was somewhat concerned about returning to this hotel alone at night after wedding events. I was most concerned about what the neighborhood around the hotel would be like at night. I will say the neighborhood is a bit weird: it is sort of industrial. I highly recommend using Google street view to take a look if you're alone or at all concerned. If you take a look and think "eh, I wouldn't normally walk around this kind of place at night, but it's probably okay" (which is what I thought when I looked at the street view), then you will likely end up feeling fine about it: There are a number of hotels along this street and the bus is full of guests of these hotels, so people definitely use this bus for this purpose and it works. I admit, though, it was a bit weird, and if there hadn't been 3 other girls getting off the bus at the same stop to go to this hotel, I might have felt somewhat uncomfortable. So, if you look at the street view and think "no way am I walking around this area alone at night" - then most likely you will be uncomfortable in real life, too. I'm a very adventurous solo traveler and still found it to be borderline, given that I was by myself.

The hotel itself was perfectly fine. It didn't have the latest updates, and as another reviewer mentioned, the rooms do not have hair dryers. There was a group of drunk youngsters (surely way below the legal age), but thankfully the front desk mentioned this and put me on a different floor. But the place was clean and comfortable, and there is free breakfast until about 9:55 am (the hotel staff started cleaning up early, and put everything away remarkably fast, to the dismay of a few guests that wanted juice refills, etc as 10 am came around). All in all, the hotel itself was perfectly fine.

I would say that if you need to be in NYC for something and really can't afford a place in the city, this is a very good option. However, if you have a choice, I'd say stay in Manhattan (even if it means fewer trips to New York or a shorter stay while you're there). This hotel made it possible for me to attend a wedding that otherwise would have been difficult or impossible to make happen, so I was very satisfied with that. Thanks!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank katiemgoblue
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Fairfield Inn East Rutherford Meadowlands, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
Katiemgoblue,
Thanks so much for taking the time to write a detailed review of our hotel and for your recommendation. It was our pleasure to have you stay with us, please give our congratulations to the Bride and Groom!

Truly Yours,
Daytona Beach, Florida
Reviewed July 1, 2012

I stayed in the Fairfield Inn for two days with family. It was an average room, but I will say the room was clean. The front desk attendant Luis was very professional, and very helpful. We checked in late in afternoon on 6/25 and he gave me all the information I needed to travel into Manhattan the next day. We took the NJ Transit, which had a direct route from the hotel to the Port Authority, turned out to be pretty smooth ride to and from. It was a coach style bus, just remember you can pay cash getting on the bus headed into New York, but you must purchase a ticket at the Port Authority on your return trip. The main negative part of the stay would be the hotel breakfast. The sausages and eggs were cold, although there was a microwave to warm up. We ordered dinner the second day from the menu in the room, Redd's the pizza was a little disappointing because it was cracker thin, and not filling at all. But overall I would say this was a better than expected stay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Rob2fam
, Manager at Fairfield Inn East Rutherford Meadowlands, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
Rob2fam,
Thanks so much for your review and recommendation! We appreciate hearing from you and are glad to know you enjoyed your stay and the level of service we provide. Thanks especially for recognizing Luis, it made his day! We look forward to seeing you next time you’re in the area!

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed June 29, 2012

OK hotel for a short visit. I stayed for 3 days with some friends while visiting New York. Hotel could use some upgrades, as I've been to better Fairfiled Inns. Housekeeping could have been more attentive. I don't think they knocked on my door 1 time during the whole stay. I had to ask for extra towels/washclothes. Front desk was relatively friendly. The continental breakfast was subpar at best. The hotel room was adequately clean. A friend of mine stayed on the 1st floor and she said it smelled like mildew, although I wasn't on that floor. We drove into the City whenever we wanted, so we didn't ask about transportation to/from the hotel. There wasn't much in the immediate surrounding area, however. It was OK.

Room Tip: Choose a room on an upper floor
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
NicoleW726,
Thank you for your review and recommendation! We’re so glad you enjoy staying with us; we greatly appreciate your loyalty and taking the time to share your comments. We look forward to seeing you again!

All the best,
Hilton Meadowlands
#4 of 5 in East Rutherford
Holiday Inn Express Meadowlands
Extended Stay America - Meadowlands - East Rutherford

Been to Fairfield Inn East Rutherford Meadowlands? Share your experiences!