“High quality food and wine, very reasonable proces, no pretension fun restaurant”
Review of Park & Orchard

Park & Orchard
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Been going to enjoyed Park & Orchard over 10 years. Not much has changed and that is just perfect. Management always offer a warm welcome and servers a timely professional yet unstuffy service. The food is all over the place - vegetarians, Italian, Louisiana, Asian, gluten free options.
Never had a poor meal, this time we started with the Hummus and Pot Stickers, finished with a nice Duck Breast and my all-time fav, the Crawfish pasta. REAL Crawfish in NJ is rare, the sauce nice and spicy. Note: That pasta and most everything else cannot be finished by mere mortals so count on a sizable take-home bag.
Great wines priced under what most restaurants would charge for same. Very large selection - they have a very large cellar.
I noticed some comments about facility. If I recall correctly it actually did start as a Auto Repair garage or something so it's big and 'tall'. Yet, I've been there when near empty and on nights where they were very full with a wait and the noise level was never loud.
Finally, they have a great wine list - which will surprise many. It's a passion of one of the owners. Always some quality wines and beers (on tap), all very reasonably priced.

Reviewed February 23, 2013

...or, should I say, a whole-food, plant-based diet.

My daughter, the vegan, found this while we were staying nearby for a family visit. On a Tues night after a holiday weekend, the dining room was pretty quiet but still a few tables were busy. I imagine on crowded evenings, the large open dining area would get fairly loud, but we had a nice booth in the back. Service was very good, and wine options were fine.

My daughter enjoyed the veggie / soy stir fry, and I liked the Norwegian farm-raised salmon. The other reviews that cite the large portions are accurate- we both had leftovers for the next day.

The quality of food, the careful preparation and presentation was equivalent to more elegant restaurants that serve the small portions.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

We have enjoyed Park & Orchard for a number of years. While we may not go as much as we would like, we are always welcomed with a warm smile and a friendly greeting. We love the food, and there are any options for vegetarians and gluten free folks as well. Everything is delicious and the portions are enormous, so you usually get at least another meal from the leftovers. On a recent visit, my partner and I had noticed a few minor things about the physical building (like dirty air ducts). My partner sent an email to the owners, and within 24 hours we received a wonderful reply stating they had noticed the very same things and were taking steps to rectify them. We really enjoy Park & Orchard and highly recommend it to one and all.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

I used to live in Northern NJ, so I ate at P&O a few times a year. I have moved to another state, so I hadn't been back there for several years. My brother lives in Somerset County and it was his birthday, so I told him to pick any place that he likes for a birthday celebration. He chose P&O, and I am glad that he did, as it gave me a chance to revisit them after several years away.

Before writing this, I looked at the other reviews, and I was surprised to see several negative reports. It almost seems as if they ate at a different restaurant. Still, some comments made a valid point, and I would like to address those concerns up front.

First, some reviews mentioned the no-frills appearance of the building, and they have a point. If your needs are for a place that looks fancy, then P&O isn't for you. Yes, it is sort of industrial in appearance, and the interior reflects the fact that the building started out as a small factory. Not a problem for me, because I go there for the food and I sort of like the fact that the interior decor isn't pretentious.

Next, a few reviewers mentioned the prices on the wine list. Their wine prices are on the high side, but all restaurants charge a premium for their wine list. No matter where you dine, if you order wine it will cost you more than if you went to a local liquor store and bought the same bottle, so they don't lose points for this. A nice plus is that they have a selection that is amazingly large. I usually don't order wine because if you are with a group it is difficult to find something that everyone at the table likes. If I want an alcoholic beverage I usually order beer, and their beer selection is both large and of high quality. They have a lot of interesting brews, and I like the opportunity to try a new beer. My wife ordered Celebrator Doppelbock, and it was excellent.

As for the service, I have never been disappointed here, either now or in the past. I see that there were a very small number of complaints about service. I don't understand this, and it makes me wonder if some folks are just too demanding. I have always found the service to be both attentive and efficient, and I have never - ever - felt that I was being rushed.

Finally, a few people have complained about the prices. The prices at P&O reflect the outstanding quality of the food, and although the prices are at the higher end of what I would expect, I never feel cheated. If you want a burger & fries, go to McDonald's. If you want a high-end dining experience that doesn't hit you with New York City prices, then P&O is for you.

Now that I have had my say about the other reviewers, I will report that my experience here was still pretty good. My wife ordered mussels, and they were excellent. I had the chicken shepherds' pie casserole (see comment below). My brother and his significant other both had a stir fry dish, and they were happy with their choices. The soups and desserts were excellent, and the cappuccino was good - not the best cappuccino that I have ever had, but definitely decent.

I have two minor quibbles. The cappuccino could have been more generous. Many restaurants serve their cappuccino in a larger cup, and I would have liked a larger serving. Finally, my chicken shepherds' pie casserole was very tasty, as I had expected - but it was served in a soup bowl and it had an unusually soupy consistency. Not that bad, but I would have preferred if it had a consistency more like a traditional (beef) shepherds' pie. It was also fiery hot (temperature, not spice-heat), and it didn't cool off easily.

With the minor quibbles noted, our experience here was still quite good and I can recommend P&O to anyone. The quality and the variety of the food is beyond compare in Northern New Jersey.

1  Thank PokeYerNose
Reviewed December 11, 2012

To us, Park & Orchard is more than our favorite place to eat. It's our favorite dining experience, altogether. We used to live a lot closer and now, have to travel as hour to get there, but we're never sorry we made the trip. Now, its a great place to meet our closest friends from Bergen County and points further north, "half-way". The P&O experience is terrific from the greeting you get by their Maitre D' through the delivery of the food. The service is attentive. One never has to wait long once at the table (okay; if you come prime-time on a Saturday, you may had to wait... But so what? The bar is AMPLE with tables to boot and the drinks are all top-shelf.)
As for the food?
Well... This is where P&O really separates itself from the run of the mill eatery. They have a wide range of standard fare with something for everyone. And having recently become vegetarian leaning toward vegan, I have no trouble finding food to meet my particular dietary requirements and tastes! And trust me - no one goes home hungry. The portions are more than ample and always served fresh and piping hot from the kitchen. Oh! And if you like bread with your meal? OMG. Theirs is the best. The rice medley they serve as a side dish is decadently buttery and melts in your mouth with just a hint of nutty wheat-berry crunch. It's really tasty and filling. The appetizers and soups are all incredible. They will grill fish to your liking and prepare a steak to your satisfaction. Their pasta dishes and stir fries are all fabulous. And with dishes like "Ants on a Tree", its a culinary adventure worth taking.
A nice touch is seeing the owner, Buddy, emerge to great every diner at every table! His presence is felt and welcome.
Forget about dessert. If you actually have the room left in your second stomach, you will be richly rewarded. The apple crumb pie thing is scrumptious. Their chocolate cake? A good way to die. All worth it and if you're like me and enjoy a good cup of coffee after your meal? They always have piping hot, fresh coffee on the boil.
Try Park & Orchard. You won't be sorry you did.