“Petite cafe, great macarones” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Madelleine Bakery and Cafe

Madelleine Bakery and Cafe
Cuisines: Contemporary
Cedar Grove, NJ
“Petite cafe, great macarones”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2014

I went here for a treat after lunch with a friend. Fantastic homemade treats for sale. We ate macarones and they were marvelous. They looked just a wonderful as they tasted. They are a special treat for sure. Owner served us and was lovely and provided great service.

Visited June 2014

Clifton, New Jersey
“A French bakery in Rutherford?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

The macaroons (Trip Advisor won't accept the correct French spelling for them!) were very good, as were the mini muffins. They didn't have much variety, though.

Visited August 2013
Paris, France
“An excellent personal touch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

This is my first time in rutherford, NJ, which going t be my second home besides paris. I have been coming here daily for nearly a week while furnishing up the apartment. The coffee is great, i have been living in colombia for nearly 6 years, so i know pretty well what is good coffee. They have a new pastries chef on board who used to lead the pastries department for melia international chain, so goes without saying, all the desserts are good. Have a look at their display, you will definitely fine something to your liking. The owner, zu, she is great, really make you feel sooooo welcome. I will come back for sure. Definitely a place for you to visit.

Rutherford, New Jersey
“Great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

This place has great food, you've got to be the early bird to get the top picks because it goes fast ! You can always taste the love in the food, and I would tell anyone to try it out for themselves

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Orange County, CA
“Mixed feelings but won't be back”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

I believe this is actually located in Rutherford and it is "Madeleine Cafe." I should preface this with the fact that I am a sleep-deprived mom of a toddler who just started sleeping through the night(Yay!) so I may not be as patient and forgiving as you. I was truly thrilled to find a new bakery/breakfast/lunch spot near my home. My first bleary-eyed visit I ordered an omelet and was asked if I wanted additional items on it and I said sure, I remember those items were never in the actual omelet, but that was fine. The omelet was fine but they don't use glass ware for food, only eco friendly paper and plastic products(which is appreciated). So, my plate got steamy on the bottom and when I lifted it up there was a wet spot in the shape of the plate on my vinylish table top. It somehow takes away from the experience. So, I decided I would go again and do coffee, pastries. Both my husband and I like some of the baked goods, although pricey, they are a nice treat once in a while. The coconut dream bars were a favorite and croissants were not bad. Other pastries fell flat in my taste, often times crumbly and dry. As far as the service goes, the owner always seems stressed and preoccupied when I visit. Being from India myself, my friends and I always find it amusing when we go to any Indian-owned establishment how the service is top-notch towards non-Indians but visibly lacking and often times outright rude to fellow Indians. I certainly do not expect special treatment, but courteous and even pleasant(I'm really pushing it now, aren't I?) would be nice. So I always felt like I was intruding. I am not used to stirring my hot coffee with a stir unless I am at a BK(never) and even Starbucks has wooden stirs. I am still nursing and I try to avoid bpa exposure and also, again, somehow it takes away from the experience. I mean it is called Madeleine; you want to feel transported to a cozy French cafe. So the icing on the cake was my experience yesterday. I got the same "warm" treatment(note sense of sarcasm). I struggle with my monstrosity of a stroller to get in since there are 2 deep steps up and I can't hold the door open and look like a fool as I try to lug my boy in. I always ask for help and someone is nice enough to hold the door open but still my stroller almost fell sideways as the front wheel actually needs to be lifted a bit,too. The guy "helping" grabbed it just in time as he stood there watching me heave upwards and then start tipping. I mentioned last time to the co-owner(husband?) that I would come more often but it's so hard to get the darn stroller in by myself. He was so sweet and don't every worry about, someone will always be glad to help. Now I that I think about it, both my husband and I have always received a warm welcome from the husband and excellent service as well. No attitude and very cheerful, too. Okay, so on to yesterday. I got in and composed myself to find my little has just woke up prematurely from his nap. We got the chicken salad which is always good as it is savory with a hint of sweet and my boy loves it. I also got a spinach and ricotta pastry(fresh and good) and a chocolate chip pastry(dry and stale). We sat in a corner and ate. At one point I had to go ask for a spoon and she and the helper of hers that is always there were both in the back so I tried to say excuse me and she saw me and said to the helper quite loudly and irritated, "Can you go see what she wants?" How charming, thought I! Oh, and the icing on the cake part, the cupcakes I got to go. I have eaten a lot of cupcakes and I used to have a home-based gluten-free bakery before I became a full-time mom. I have also been all over the world where cupcakes are not so prized. I have my favorite cupcakeries ( A' La Cupcakes in Glen Rock rocks and so does Zoe's in Teaneck) So I got 2 raspberry cupcakes("made with fresh raspberries) and a champagne cupcake. Well when I got home, the cake part was hard as rocks. Well, I thought maybe it is so cold out, they hardened up. So, I left them out on the counter and never put them in the fridge. 2 hours later I felt the cake part again, still hard as can be. I tried to take a big bite but it was a challenge just to bit through the thing. Texture: dry, dense, Taste:nothing good, a little refrigerator type stale taste. I tried the frosting alone, again stale taste and completely revolting. Not even passable. The grocery cupcakes would have been like gold next to these. So I called and to express my dissatisfaction and the owner was not there and called me the next morning. She replied that I didn't wait long enough, the cupcakes were fine, she and her staff personally ate all the cupcakes remaining to make sure they were all good (or were going to eat them, I did not quite understand since they would have to accomplish that feat this very morning and it is only 10:30am now!) She kept insisting about how I must be the only one because nobody else has ever complained. I asked when they were baked. She informed me they were baked Sunday night and placed uncovered in her case on Mon morning. So on Wed morning, lucky me got to dig in to a stale cupcake. Most experienced bakers know that butter absorbs odors very easily as do baked goods made with butter. So anything made with butter is stored in airtight containers until ready to display. NOT kept in a refrigerated display uncovered for 3 days and who knows how much longer! Fresh? I think not. What do you expect the poor cupcakes to do? Ask any reputable bakery how they store cupcakes and they will tell you in air-tight containers overnight and they DO NOT sell their cupcakes full price after the 2nd day, if at all! I don't even know if this is a health code violation. Yuk! I can't remember the last time I received such off-putting service; when I was in my 20s or maybe my teens, but now I am in my 40s and expect to be treated like an adult.So this, takes the CAKE and I will only be back to get my refund.

• Visited February 2013