“Staying at this hotel left a bad taste in my mouth.” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Extended Stay America - Meadowlands - East Rutherford

Extended Stay America - Meadowlands - East Rutherford
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in East Rutherford
Ottawa, Canada
“Staying at this hotel left a bad taste in my mouth.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

We stayed at Extended Stay America - Meadowlands - East Rutherford hotel for our recent trip to NYC for 6 nights (Oct. 16 to 21, 2013). We chose this hotel because of its free parking and "bus stop outside the hotel" to NYC (as per review of Sam S of Wurtsboro, New York on TripAdviser); unfortunately his review was for other location of same chain he stayed at.
During our check in, we were informed of the mistake and told not to worry, since this hotel provides free shuttle service (7 to 9 AM/PM) to/from Secaucus, NJ railroad station, but we have to call the hotel for return service. But, we were not advised that there is no shuttle service on Sundays.
To call the hotel for the return shuttle required long wait for the front desk to answer the phone and at times, we had to wait 35 minutes past the hour for the shuttle to pick us up.
On our second evening, after arriving at the train station, we called the front desk to request a shuttle, after a long wait for someone to answer the phone. Eventually, we were told that the driver called in sick and suggested we call for a taxi. We had to pay $26 for this ride. It took 5 days of negotiations with hotel staff, till Kimberly (hotel manager who comes in after 9:30) agreed $20 reimbursement.
Same night, we were waken up by a loud security alarm of a truck parked under our single pane glass window (keep in mind; it is an old building, renovated cheaply) which continued on and off until morning (I took a photo showing its blinking lights).
Next morning, I approached the front desk and suggested that the hotel request license plate numbers of their guests to prevent incidents like the one we experienced during the night and to my surprise, the female front desk interrupted me and said: "we know him", and continued working on the computer. I was suffering from lack of sleep and was in no mood to argue with a person like her.

If you are planning to stay at this hotel, keep in mind:
Most of the time, there is no one at the front desk - seems like they have other assignments, too.
There is no housekeeping service if you stay less than seven days. We met an elderly gentleman in the lobby who said, he ran out of toilet paper and the front desk couldn't provide him with one.
Unlike the afternoon shift, the permanent morning front desk girl is rude, and unprofessional.
Hotel's location address will not work on your GPS.
At 7:30 AM, checkout time, there was no one at the front desk; a guest had to dial a 4 digit number on hotel's phone and ask for someone. A new female insisted us to leave the room key cards at the desk and leave. We asked her for the invoice but couldn't get one.
Insist for an itemized invoice before leaving the hotel and do not accept excuses such as "Computer is locked" or "We will email it to you" as I did (as of today 5 days later, I haven't received any).
Check your credit card statement for a possible unknown additional charge - I was charged for an additional one (so far).

On the plus side: Hotel is clean, our room was large and comfortable and their morning breakfast "grab and go" is adequate to get you to some other location. The shuttle drivers were good and helpful.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank roubenz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Brookhaven, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

This hotel is Awful, unless it is an absolute emergency that you stay there. it is old and rundown and an attempt to renovate it has been made. No one is at the desk when you arrive, you have to call the hotel on their toll-free number and wait for someone to answer. If they answer usually they are hard to understand. They are rude and unprofessional. I was scheduled to stay at the hotel for one overnight visit. After two hours I packed up and turned the key in and left. It is not anywhere for anyone with the slightest expectations of quality to stay at. During the time in the lobby waiting for an employee to arrive there were six other people who were irate waiting for an employee to check them in.

Room Tip: I am not familiar with the East Rutherford area so I cannot make a recommendation.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Bruce R

Travelers are raving about these East Rutherford hotels

MD
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

My family had booked a two-room suite as we were three adults and a very tall pre-teen for the night of October 19, 2013 for our one night stay. When we arrived, we were told that we had been placed into a one room King with a pull-out sofa. When we complained that this was NOT the room we booked, we were told that they tried to call us and hour before (Really? An hour before? You knew we were driving 4+ hours to get there) to let us know but we did not answer (New Jersey has a hands-free cell phone law and we were en route from Maryland so we were not able to answer.) Nevertheless, when we arrived there were no other rooms; the hotel is full etc. etc. etc. When we asked why the room we booked wasn't available we were informed that the room had bed bugs and that they were forced to place us in the smaller room – one that could not comfortably accommodate four adults. Of course, this not only angered and alarmed us, but it alarmed the other guests waiting in the lobby as they listened to the my exchange with the front desk staff unfolding before them, giving them concern about their room and the possibilities of critters.

We would not comfortably stay in a one-bed bedroom so we immediately called a Hilton honors competing establishment on the other side of the stadium who immediately treated us with respect and placed us in perfectly acceptable accommodations.

The interesting part... later that evening we finally did get to hear the message that was left us an hour before our 5PM arrival (and we will be happy to post a hyperlink to the audio should the management wish to hear it.) We were told that one of the bathrooms had a faulty showerhead and that is why we were being moved to the smaller accommodations. So which is it? A faulty showerhead or bed bugs? Either way, the front desk staff of this establishment wasn't being truthful with us.

As someone VERY familiar with the hospitality industry, specifically hotel and restaurant management, I am pretty sure I have a good idea what happened: Our room was indeed fine. in fact, stellar. If there was indeed a faulty showerhead, it would have been found out around the 11AM check out time. Meanwhile, closer to the 3PM check-in time, about two hours before my party's arrival, another guest discovered bed bugs in their room when they checked in. They raised all kinds of bloody hell to the management (understandable) and the management did what they thought was best, which was to move the guest raising all kinds of hell in front of them and probably a lobby full of guests to better accommodations to placate them. The room they were moved into was the two-room suite I booked for me and my family.

I understand that decisions are made each day by hotel management. It is a service industry and the front desk staff needs to do what they can to make their guests happy. This decision made on the night of October 18th was a fatal one for this branch of the Extended Stay America chain. You angered the wrong potential guest.

I took a chance by booking somewhere other than one of our usual hotel chains and I will NEVER EVER consider Extended Stay America again. And, I will be sure that my business never utilizes this chain, and I will advise my business colleagues, associates, friends or family do stay elsewhere as well.

Room Tip: Choose another chain. Period.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank MdChowhound
North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

My wife and I enjoyed our stay here. It was very clean and the staff was friendly. We especially loved how close it was to the city. Staying in the city is too expensive so this was perfect. We plan to visit the city again and don't have any other place in mind. If you love the city this is the place to stay!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

I recently stayed at this Extended Stay and I must say it was AMAZING from the customer service at the front desk to the cleanliness of my room. The staff are very friendly and courtesy. They have a free shuttle to take you to restaurants and shops near by. I would recommended this hotel to anyone who wants a good quality stay for a very decent price.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Get_Money_Ent
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

I recently had the opportunity to stay at this Extended Stay and also at a Staybridge Suites in Indianapolis. The Staybridge is much more comfortable, well appointed, more nicely furnished, better breakfast, even with light supper included from Mon through Thursday. That said, the Extended Stay is OKAY. Comfie bed. Linens and towels were just fine (Staybridge had better linens and better ammenities overall). Kitchen is spacious and workable (Staybridge also has dishwashers and disposal which Extended Stay doesn't). The Extended Stay is more utilitarian and bare bones that Staybridge, but its just fine. For a longer stay I would recommend Staybridge and for less time Extended Stay is great.

MY ONLY COMPLAINT IS THAT THIS PARTICULAR LOCATION's address doesn't work on GPS. The address is listed as 300 NJ Route 3 however it is actually on the SERVICE ROAD which PARALLELS Route 3. Consequently you are led PAST the hotel and wind up having to drive 10 miles to make a U-Turn and figure out which of the many confusing exits to get off at. Finally I CALLED the hotel and they gave me an ALTERNATIVE address (2 Meadowlands Plaza) which leads to the hotel. They need to list the address properly because the front desk folks (who are VERY nice) said that "this happens all the time". I was very annoyed when I got to the property because it was already pretty late at night and I lost an hour's sleep by driving aimlessly around.

Another thing. You gotta have a car to stay here. There is lots of stuff to do in North Jersey, but this is located in the Meadowland, a grasslands wilderness between NYC and Suburban NJ. They have a shuttle which will take you to a bus which will take you east into Manhattan (which is like 6 miles away), and if you have a car you can enjoy the ethnic diversity and great cuisine, wonderful shopping in a close driveable radius in North Jersey. Without a car, you'll be stranded here.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Wurtsboro, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

Got in early and they let us check in .Place was clean quite everyone there was nice You can tell it was just up date. We had a venue @ digbats in Clifton was easy on and easy off the highway. Giant stadium was right across the highway.new York city was real close .The bus stoped outside the hotel

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Econo Lodge
#3 of 3 in Carlstadt
Fairfield Inn East Rutherford Meadowlands
Holiday Inn Express Meadowlands

Been to Extended Stay America - Meadowlands - East Rutherford? Share your experiences!