“Hope this helps”
Review of Ramada East Orange

Ramada East Orange
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in East Orange
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I stayed at the Ramada in East Orange in June, we were visting NYC, and after reading reviews prior we were skeptical but took a chance since i have family that lives less than 20 mins from the hotel. To make a long story short, the hotel is decent for the value, i think alot of people who gave it bad reviews were expecting a 5 star hotel but for the value its decent (about 65 bucks a night), plus the train station to NYC is less than 5 mins walking from the hotel. We spent very little time at the hotel itself, we got up ate the free breakfast and left to NYC, easy commute. Overall, your experience with this hotel will be based upon what you are staying there for, if you're planning a trip to NYC and want a crash pad right outside the city (commute to NYC by train is less than 20 mins) then i would recommend it. Hope this helps!

Room Tip: Keep in mind checkout time is 11am, NOT 12pm like usual hotels, important to know.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sean B

Reviewed October 11, 2012

After being picked up at the airport by the shuttle, we arrived at the hotel. The driver spoke little to no English. We arrived at to hotel that had only half the lights in the lobby on even though it was about 9pm and filled with waiting guests. After paying for the room, we went over to the elevator which was in a state of semi-disrepair. It smelled far stronger of smoke than the lobby and was missing several floor tiles. The other elevator was broken.
Upon arriving to our floor, we found that the handle on the door was backwards in order to get into the room (you had to lift up). We had to travel back down to the lobby to be told this. We should have been informed of this at check-in.
The non-smoking room that I reserved had an ash tray in it and smelled of smoke as well, but since the hotel had no vacancy, we could not get another room. The only available outlets in the room were in the bathroom. And we had to unplug multiple appliances/lights around the room in order to charge our phones. Other than that, the room was fine on the overnights. When taking a shower the next morning, we discovered that the shower curtain was broken. It was missing screws on both sides so that it could not stay up, meaning that the shower curtain sagged into the middle and sent water spraying all over the bathroom.
After taking a shower, we went down and enjoyed a good breakfast.
After getting ready, we tried to utilize the shuttle to get back to the airport. The only reason I booked this hotel was because all the websites relating to this hotel said that it had complementary shuttle service to and from the airport. (It also said it was within 5 miles of EWR (Newark Airport), but the 20 minute ride from the airport with no traffic said otherwise.) I called down to the front desk, but again the staff member spoke little to no English. In very broken English, he told me that I am not eligible to use the complimentary shuttle service until I check out. "Shuttle only at come-in and go-out." This forced my boyfriend and I to spend $50 in taxi fares that we were supposed to be saving by staying at your hotel.
The next day we were getting ready to leave the room and check out when we heard a man yelling in the hall way for about 5 minutes. He finally knocks on our door, yelling at me for not answering the door sooner. This was highly improper.
At the check-out desk, we request shuttle service to the airport and are again denied. We are told we needed to ask 24 hours ahead.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ROSE S
Reviewed October 11, 2012

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 9, 2012

The area is horrible. The Cleanliness is bad !!. The service is WORST !
As soon as you enter the hotel, it smells to cigarette and bathroom. One elevator didn't work, so we had to wait long time and deal with the house keeping staff inside the elevator. The beds were squeaking When we returned to the hotel the second night, the room was not clean and they didn't change the towels and they asked us to go to the front desk to get new ones. In the next morning, we didn't have toilet paper and they asked us again to go to the front desk to get a new one.
The bathroom was not completely clean when we arrived.
And the worst is that when you do a complaint, Instead of apologizing, they get mad.
We read the reviews before booking but we thought they were not true.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 28, 2012

This is a value for money hotel, but the house keeping staff could do with some training in attentive listining. When i said the heater is not working the staff member asked me why i want the heater when it was not cold!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 26, 2012

The hotel was a dive. As soon as I pulled into the parking lot, I was horrified. I worried immediately about my safety. The clientele was seedy, and as you entered the lobby, it appeared as if the front desk was behind some type of bullet proof glass. Because I drove over 2 hrs and was pregnant and needed to attend an event that night, I was out of options. I should have just walked out. The elevators smelled of cigarette smoke, the room was awful, from musty smells, to only one bath towel, missing ironing board. Bedspreads stained and dirty, bathroom was surfaced clean, but you could see the dirt on the shower curtain.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 25, 2012

For $65 a night pretty much anywhere in Manhattan, you can't really expect a whole lot. But the Ramada was tolerable, despite the flaws. Pretty much the entire hotel reeked of smoke, and even though I'd requested a no-smoking room I'm almost positive it had been used for smoking before.

Manageable with the ventilation turned on, but still an irritant. The internet actually worked pretty well which was a shock, and for the most part there wasn't really that much else wrong with the room which was surprising. No bed-bugs or other creepy crawlies sharing the room with you that I could see, even though the cleaning staff could probably stand to be a bit more diligent with the rooms.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Garden Plaza Hotel
#4 of 4 in West Orange
Ramada Plaza Newark Liberty International Airport
Holiday Inn Newark Airport

Been to Ramada East Orange? Share your experiences!