“AWFUL! This restaurant should be closed for creepiness alone!”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Ricci's Restaurant at Castle Ridge
Ranked #62 of 80 Restaurants in East Hanover
Cuisines: Italian
Basking Ridge, New Jersey, United States
“AWFUL! This restaurant should be closed for creepiness alone!”
Reviewed August 1, 2013

After I poorly reviewed this restaurant the last time I had stopped in, I received an email from the owner to come back and try them again. They had changed the sauce recipe, and a few other things. I sent a return email to the owner that I would be there around 6:30-7 pm. The restaurant was an absolute DISASTER last night. Here is a short list of awful thing from last night:

The manager/greeter was downright rude when I had told him that I had sent an email about stopping in to try the restaurant again. He said he couldn't care less, and pretended like he didn't know what I was talking. He was probably the one sending the email just trying to get one extra meal out of us.

The lobster special was on the specials board for $ 12.95. When the manager heard me talking to my fiancee about it, he yelled over that they were out of lobster. I told him it was only 6:30 pm, and he laughingly replied that they ran out last week. What was so funny that he would put a dinner special on the board that he didn't have in over 5 days, and hasn't taken it down! If that is not a bait and switch, I do not know what is.

The restaurant was more than half empty, and between the salads, bread, wine, wine glasses, water glasses,and appetizers, the small table was full. So we put a couple of plates on the table next to us. The waiter had the gall to ask us to put them back on the table. No one was NEAR us, but he tried to stuff everything back on our table. How ridiculous.

But the worst was the CREEPY manager. He leaned against his podium all night, and continued to stare at all the people eating their dinners. He was eyeing up all the women, and watching them eat every second of the evening. It was unbelievably uncomfortable for my girlfriend. The manager couldn't stop leering at the women. We couldn't get out of there fast enough.

The food was better than last time, but that doesn't make up for all the bad things going on in that restaurant!

I would not come here again under any circumstances. The manager definitely seems like a predator.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Andrew R

East Hanover, New Jersey, United States
“Got ripped off big time!”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Went here with myself and one other person, they calculated the bill quickly and then we left a cash tip and left. What we didn't realize is they gave themselves a 20% gratuity, they made out like bandits because nothing was on the bill and then we gave them an additional 20%. So, they got a 40% tip, great saving! NOT! The food was not that good. The place is also very very very small. We asked them to wrap our left overs, got home and found out some of the food was missing. Perhaps they wanted to reuse it? I don't know? Very odd.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Brian Z
“What a rip off!”
Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

We had a Groupon that entitled us to one appetizer, one salad, two drinks and two entrees. Seemed like a great deal. Turns out it wasn't much of a deal when we looked at the prices. Service was non existent. Greeting at the door was surly. It took forever for a waitress to approach us even though they weren't busy. No greeting , no smile. She didn't once check in to see how our experience was going. The tables were WAY too close together for comfort. The food was mediocre. We had the escargots, chicken parmigiana and lobster ravioli. Because our waitress was so negligent, we had decided our tip would be modest. That control was taken away from us. When we received the bill, she had added a mandatory 20% tip. There were only two of us and automatic gratuities (18%) are usually only for groups over 6. I was furious! There was nothing in the Groupon fine print and nothing on the menu about this. Like I said, what a rip off!

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank Meemersan
Caldwell, New Jersey
“Bad experience.”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Had a horrible experience! I work nearby and would NEVER visit again!
Purchased a Groupon for 2, but my 3yr old daughter was mandated to purchase a full meal (minimum $10) in addition to Groupon. She barely eats a smidgen, so needless to say it was just a doggy bag.
The waiter was extremely unpleasant. Just seems he did not want to be there.
Every aspect of the food was good, but do not mistake that for patroning a really good 5star Italian restaurant. The food is 3 star at best.

Visited May 2013
2 Thank joseph c
Basking Ridge, New Jersey, United States
“OK Italian at Inexpensive Prices”
Reviewed May 15, 2013

We tried this restaurant with a groupon. The prices are quite low, in fact, there are 20 dishes that are $ 9.95, which they advertize. The food is good, with big portions. And I mean BIG! But, the sauce is bland that they use for the pasta, mussels, and main dishes. It seems like just pureed tomato sauce. Ragu would be MUCH better than what they are using now. The mussels were overdone. The Saltimbocca was good, but the gravy could have used some more spices.

This is an OK place where everyone wears jeans, and is not considered fine dining. The value for the money is good, and it is better than the Olive Garden. But, this is more of an inexpensive college dating scene, or place to take your wife right after a hard day working at the construction site. 2 examples of this is A. when you walk in, there is a curtain that you have to navigate past that really makes the place look cheap from first impression. Then, when you sit down, they use diner place mats to eat off of, which again makes the place feel cheap. Finally, they advertize their hair salon, limo service on a big banner on the wall, which is extremely tacky. This place needs a total revamp, but the food is good for the price.

• Visited May 2013