“Very Good Food”

Colonial Diner
Ranked #22 of 111 Restaurants in East Brunswick
Cuisines: Diner
Reviewed May 14, 2014

This diner has a very good breakfast. The omelets are delicious. They have sweet potato and apple oat pancakes, which were excellent. The oatmeal is steel cut and comes with fruit, banana bread, cinnamon and brown sugar. This is my new favorite breakfast place.

Reviewed January 30, 2014

I've been to the Colonial Diner a few dozen times, since I was a little girl. It's gone through different owners and re-designs. This latest version, going strong for about 3 years now, is the best food but the least diner-y. It's more fancy, has a more gourmet-style menu, service is a bit nicer, and there is less menu variety. There's no 10 pages of diner meals with pictures. It's more of a regular, family restaurant. The salad/soup bar is humongous and delicious and, as someone says -- get it with a regular meal and take the meal home. It's enough for any big eater, trust us! If you're not in the mood for salad, they have many options. I mostly get the brunch or sandwiches, which are all good. They try to be a bit fancier than a regular diner and it shows. The service is better, the atmosphere nicer, and the prices a bit higher. I always enjoy my meal there. The waiters are always great.

1  Thank SheyJosie
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Great place to get together for a casual night out with friends. Fabulous salad and soup bar. Alone, they charge $10.50 for it, but it comes along free with an entree. So if you just want to indulge in the salad and soup, order an entree anyway, and take it home with you. It will be well worth it. I had the chopped sirloin steak, done to perfection!

1  Thank HSAYSHI55
Reviewed September 16, 2013

the colonial really should be called a restaurant not a diner. the food was diner quality but nothing else about the meal was. went there for lunch. no specials like a typical diner. there was also no choice of soup or salad or a desert included with the meal. there were a lot of choices but the prices for what we got were a little high. the service was good and friendly. if your looking for a regular New Jersey Diner this is not the place.

1  Thank msm40
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Since I work in the area, the Colonial Diner has become one of my favorite lunch spots. Each time I visit, I try a different item on the menu and have yet to be disappointed. Today I tried the salad bar for the first time, as well as the Monte Cristo sandwich. Both were very good, and the Monte Cristo was a large portion.