“Reliable Is the Right Word”
Review of Charlotte's Web

Charlotte's Web
Ranked #9 of 54 Restaurants in Dover
Cuisines: American, Italian, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Enjoy Charlotte’s Web casual, cozy, comfortable dining. Stop by early and have a drink at the bar. Charlottes Web has distinguished itself by serving delicious food, providing friendly accommodating staff and offering reasonable prices. Charlotte’s Web is known as one of the best all around restaurants in Morris County. Come for lunch or dinner and discover for yourself!
Flanders, New Jersey
“Reliable Is the Right Word”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Many have pointed out how good Charlotte's Web can be. The only problem I have with this restaurant -- and we've maybe gone about 3-4 times in the past 10 years -- is that you never get the "wow" factor. Always reliably good, but not spectacular. They go to great lengths to get veggies from local farm markets, and I think the menu always has two to three things that make it difficult to choose.

On this particular weekend night, I had the most expensive thing on the menu, the lobster special, stuffed with crabmeat, and it was about 4 out of 5, like my overall review. Nicely prepared, didn't have to fight with it much, and tasted fine -- but again, not spectacular. My wife had one of the many veal dishes on the menu, and it was a lot, so much she took half of it home for the next day. Our appetizer was a special summer fried green tomatoes, and it was kinda bland -- not enough breading, and not enough spice (needed lots of salt), and not served with anything to dip it in (like gravy, if they wanted to make it truly Southern).

The salads before dinner are plentiful, and the bar choices are varied, and also not as expensive as they might be at some other nearby "more upscale" places. Here, you can get a half carafe of any house wine, for instance, for only $12.

Charlotte's Web is a staple in our area -- always friendly people, always decent, always, well, reliable.

• Visited August 2013

Flanders, NJ
“A reliably good dining experience”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

It hasn't changed, and that's a good thing. My wife's parents asked my wife and I where they could take us out to dinner to celebrate our anniversary. They heartily agreed with us that Charlotte's Web was an excellent choice. It had been several years since the four of us had been there, so we were anxious to find out if it is still a fine restaurant. It certainly is. A friendly and very professional waitress took our orders, chosen from a wide variety of Italian dishes. All four selections met our highest expectations. The most basic was my meal, which was chicken parm. The chicken was tender, the cheese high quality, and the tomato sauce exquisite. Being that I have a large appetite, I was pleased that the portions were quite substantial. All of us greatly enjoyed our meals. And we all felt very comfortable in this family-run establishment, as it is devoid of the stuffy pretension one frequently finds in fine restaurants and the frenetic carnival atmosphere one experiences in some of the newer ones. It was a relaxing and reliably good dining experience.

• Visited July 2013
Morristown, New Jersey
“Just ok - dated”
Reviewed July 5, 2013

It hasn't changed, and that's not a good thing. They won't take reservations, and there is nowhere comfortable to wait for a table. While service is good, and the food is reliably good, I would have liked to see a more interesting menu. There is nothing wrong with it, and if you are looking for traditional Italian food served in a family-friendly atmosphere, this is the place to go, but not if you are looking for more interesting food.

Visited June 2013
Dover, New Jersey, United States
“Nice bar, bad food”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I tried this place recently because it's been there so long, and I hadn't been for over a decade. It wasn't good. The atmosphere is old school and the service was very good, but the food wasn't up to par at all. The bread was not very fresh, the salad was wilted, and the entree (some kind of beef over noodles) was plain terrible. The taste of the meat was unpleasant and noodles soggy and cooked too much. The beer selection is good and that was the highlight of the evening. I cannot recommend this place for much except a friendly bar and that's about it. Drink, don't eat, and you'll be fine.

• Visited April 2013
Wayne, New Jersey
“Lovely place, delicious food, very nice service.”
Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

I brought my mother here on recommendation from a friend for a belated mother's day dinner. First off, ever since all the construction was finished its a little off the beaten path. The atmosphere is dark but cozy. Our waitress was very friendly and did an excellent job. I ordered the chicken cordon blu, i highly highly recommend this dish. I also heard that their lobster ravoli is incredible. All portions were perfectly sized and absolutely delicious. Their desserts are also excellent. I cannot wait to go back and highly recommend this place to everyone!

• Visited May 2013