“A No Brainer......”

Homewood Suites Dover-Rockaway
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Dover
Reviewed October 14, 2011

My family of 6 (3 adults/3 children) stayed at the Dover Homewood Suites on 10/8/2011. It was pretty much right off I-80, near a huge mall. The entrance to the hotel is easy to miss, and the location might not be on your GPS as the hotel is only a few years old…unless you have recently updated your GPS maps. The mall is easy to get to…an entrance right across the street….but unless you can remember the entrance you entered (there are MANY entrances/exits to the mall) you may find it difficult to find your way back without ending up on I-80 again. The mall is very large consisting of multiple buildings and parking lots. There is a circle 2-lane road that runs around the outside of the mall….so….it’s like a small city, with twists and turns. Plenty of places to eat…ie: Red Robin, Olive Garden, etc., but they ALL had a long wait….as it was a Saturday night.
Hotel was great. New, clean and everything exceeded our expectations. Checked in about 1:00 pm, and was in our room within minutes. Unpacked a bit, then brought the kids down to the indoor pool….which was basic, but inviting. The hotel was pretty much empty for the weekend, so that was a plus. Staff was accommodating, but as noted in other posts, seemed few and far between. But unless you were waiting in line to check in or out, it wasn’t a problem for us. Staff were courteous and there was Halloween candy out for the kids. We called down for extra towels, and they were promptly brought up to our room. Like similar style layouts, the room had a full kitchen and separate sitting area with pullout sofa and adjacent sleeping area with king size bed. Everything, again, was clean and fairly new. No smells, stains or issues like that. Air conditioning worked fine. Elevators fast and conveniently located. Hotel lobby was nice with a central sitting area with large TV.
Since it was the weekend, there wasn’t any complementary evening reception, but the complementary breakfast made up for that. Others noted the breakfast was “basic”…but far from it. All sorts of juices, rolls, breads, cereals, toasted bagels, fruits, yogurts, etc. Hot items included make-your-own waffles, pancakes, oatmeal, cheese omelets, sausage, and even corned beef hash. Perhaps the breakfast menu it limited during the week as there is an evening reception. Not sure, but there was more than enough items to keep everyone happy and full. We paid $87 for the room (plus tax)…and a similar breakfast at a diner would have cost at least $7 per person times 6 plus tax and tip….making it over $50.00. Can’t go wrong here.
All in all….this was a great place to stay. We used it as a stopover for our trip to the Poconos from Long Island so we could get an early start to Great Wolf Lodge. It worked out perfectly. We were up and out by 10:00 am, and to the Poconos by 11:00 am. We will definitely use this hotel in the future, providing the rates are as low as we experienced.
A no-brainer for the price.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed October 3, 2011

Rooms are great. They are large, clean, quiet, unless AC is on. Breakfast is very basic, and they have free dinner. Dinner is not always great, but they do have free beer. My biggest complaint is the Internet. It is the slowest I have experienced lately. My iPad 3G connection is much faster.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed July 20, 2011

i booked this hotel based on Tripadvisor recommendations. It was very close to where i was heading on business - 5 minutes drive - so was perfect.

Flew into Newark and drove 2 hours to get to hotel around 10pm - had difficulty finding it because my GPS couldn't find the address, but eventually got there.

A colleague of mine was also staying there and had arrived about 20 minutes before me.

When i got to the reception desk, the duty person seemed to know who i was. I thought that was a good sign - customer awareness etc. But she then said did your colleague not get me on my cellphone. I was a little surprised and said no.

oh, she said - he called you to tell you that we are overbooked and have moved you.

I was shocked - number 1: hotel overbooked and being moved is not good and number 2: She had asked my colleague to phone me rather than the hotel doing it.

Tried arguing with the duty person, mentioned my Hilton status etc - but to no avail.

Had to get back in car and drive 15 minutes on interstate to a Hampton Inn. Nothing bad about Hampton Inns, but if i had wanted to stay there i would have booked. Instead of a 5 minute drive across a parking lot to get to my meeting, i had to leave 30 minutes earlier and drive through rush hour interstate traffic to get there.

Homewood had arranged to pick up the cost of my hotel at Hampton. Ok gesture, but frankly on business travel, this is of no concern to me - my company pays for my hotel anyway.

I have used Hitlon properties around the work for 25 years. I have been a member of the Hilton Honors program for almost 20. I have never before had this situation occur with ANY hotel.

I have status with the Hilton Honors program, but apparently that means nothing. Clearly the hotel was working on a first come, first served basis - and by me arriving late - i simply didnt get a room. I do not believe that people who had arrived earlier in the day were equal or higher status than me, therefore they chose (deliberately or by default) to affect a frequent and loyal customer.

When i got to the Hampton, the person behind the counter mentioned that "this happens quite a lot with that property".

I received a badly written apology from the manager with spelling and typing mistakes. They had handwritten the Hampton address, so i am assuming this is a stock letter stored on a computer and printed off when needed rather than a personal or specific apology.

The letter mentions

"As we are unable to accommodate your, we would like the opportunity to take care of your lodging room an tax for the evening, was (?) well as two phone calls to notify your family and business of your relocation to the:...."

Notwithstanding the appalling spelling and grammar, i received no such call at either business or home (or cell). At any point they could have called me on cell, explained the situation and at the very least i could have avoided adding to my journey.

I appreciate that mistakes happen and that many service industries routinely overbook as part of their capacity planning and to allow for no-shows. The airlines and the rental car agencies are great examples. Unlike the rental car agencies, hotel cancellation policy is that they charge you if you don't cancel before a certain time. However, clearly this does not extend the other way - i didn't get a notification that they had "canceled" my room until i showed up.

In summary - bad job Homewood Suites Rockaway, shame on Hilton in general

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank atlscott
Reviewed July 6, 2011

This was a great hotel, very clean and new. Friendly staff. Great for anyone traveling, especially families. Great breakfast buffet in the morning. Nice clean patio outside with two grills outside for guest use if you want to grill out for the family. The suites are very clean, super comfy bed and large bathrooms. I would stay there again anytime I am traveling to NJ!

Room Tip: We paid $75 a night for this room with the discount.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed May 13, 2011

My Wife and I had a great 2-day stay at this place. The suite we stayed in was large, clean and comfortable (with one caveat on the comfort part, which I'll mention below). The kitchen was large and well equipped- it had a full size fridge, a convection/microwave oven, a dishwasher(!) and all the pots, pans, dishes & utensils you will need. Room was well planned out too- You could see the TV from anywhere in the room, the vanity was outside the bathroom, and the living area was separated enough from the bed so that one person could sleep while the other read or watched TV. A good work area too, with a big desk and internet connection.

The rooms aren't HUGE, though. I think more than three people might feel crowded.

They also offer continental breakfast and a light dinner (with free beer and wine!). The food is nothing special, but it is tasty enough and there is a fair selection.

The only downside of this place is the beds. They are HORRIBLE! Hard-as-a-rock mattresses and gushy pillows that give NO head support. I got very little sleep. Too bad really, as everything else was great.

To end this review on a positive note: This hotel is a super value! We got a great rate through AAA, and with the free meals, we really saved a bundle!

All in all, this was a super place to stay, and I would visit again (but bring my own pillows!).

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 28, 2010

A great hotel featuring above average complimentary breakfasts (also a light dinners M-Th, which we didn't try). We had a studio room, very fine for our purposes. We were visiting family for Thanksgiving, and the full sized refrigerator was great for storing the foods we brought to the party.

The only down side was that you are at the mercy of whoever is staying above you for peace and quiet. Footsteps (or in our case clomp clomp clomp) transmit very well. Except for this, I would have given 5 stars in all categories.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 20, 2010

Stayed here for one night with HHonors points, and it was great. The staff was very friendly and even granted us late checkout of noon (scheduled check out was 11) despite hosting a large wedding group that weekend. Our room was very nice with a kitchen and a seperate bedroom, two tvs etc.

Breakfast was included in the rate, and although nothing to write home about it was fairly decent, at least for free. Another benefit of the hotel is that it is located across from a shopping plaza which includes Target and a movie theater and a mall with multiple restaurants. It is also fairly close to the highway (although you may still need a GPS/mapquest printout to find it).

The only issue I had with this hotel is that my room could've been cleaned a little better, there was nothing horrible but it was clear that children had made a mess of the windows and they had not been cleaned and the rug could've been vacuumed better. Other than that everything was great. I'd stay there again if I were in the area.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dover
Hilton Garden Inn Rockaway
Towneplace Suites by Marriott Dover Rockaway
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Mount Arlington-Rockaway Area
Hampton Inn Denville / Rockaway / Parsippany
Hampton Inn & Suites Parsippany/North
Courtyard Rockaway-Mt. Arlington
Courtyard Rockaway-Mt. Arlington
#1 of 2 in Mount Arlington

Been to Homewood Suites Dover-Rockaway? Share your experiences!