“Small, local Italian restaurant, good food”
Review of La Cucina

La Cucina
Ranked #49 of 81 Restaurants in Denville
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 29, 2013

La Cucina is in an old house located on the old Morris Canal. It is decorated with old pictures of Denville and the canal as this used to be a stopping point on the Canal for those needing extra supplies. In fact, there is a freezer if you need milk, sauces, other Italian delicacies. The food is very good and the portions are ample. There are always blackboard specials as well. You can get a sandwich, salad (their grilled chicken caesar salad is one of the best I've ever had), as well as pizza and varies entrees. The rooms are small and quaint and on a weekend eveing I would suggest reservations.

Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

I LOVE la Cucina. From the food to the always accommodating, friendly staff. The pasta is cooked perfectly and if you want something that's not on the menu they always make exceptions to make sure the customer is happy. I've been there so many times and they remember your name and always greet you with a smile, which is refreshing. Franko, the owner, actually came to my grandfather's wake when he passed away because my Aunt is a regular customer there and I find that so sweet and touching. You are treated like family and nowadays that is really hard to find. I always get the shrimp fra diavolo and I can't order it at any other Italian restaurant because no where makes it anywhere near as good! You are missing out if you don't try La Cucina. :)

4  Thank yaaburnee
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We love this restaurant. Our dinners always start with a warm welcome from owners and staff. Then some warm and crusty bread. This is a BYOB. There are usually specials along with the regular menu. We particularly like the pasta dishes. They are always al dente. The pizza is excellent as well.

1  Thank N N
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I love LaCucina. First, the atmosphere is so quaint and you have to go when they have the accordian player, he brings another level of authenticity to the table. The food is fantastic. I can't think of a better way to describe that they "put the love into the food". It is just fresh and delicious Italian food like my grandmother made.

1  Thank Maluch6
Reviewed February 22, 2013

It was disappointing, especially after having experienced the previous restaurant at the same location. We walked in at 5:15 to a nearly empty restaurant and asked for a table for two and a half...to be told that as long as we're gone by 6:30 we could sit. Strange reception, I thought, for an empty restaurant. The atmosphere is great, service staff very friendly, no unreasonable waits, but the food was really not exciting at all. We ordered standard Italian options, eggplant rollatini and chicken parm with a spinach salad to start. The spinach salad dressing had a pudding-like consistency. The menu said it came with pears, it really had apples on it. Nothing too great about it. The chicken parm was okay. The eggplant rollatini wasn't finishable. The ricotta filling was almost like the consistency of sour cream, no texture, little flavor. Weird. The worst part is the eggplant definitely tasted previously frozen. The meal (one entree, an appetizer and salad) all came to $50 before a tip...so it felt like a total rip off for the quality of the food. There is way better Italian in the area. I'm surprised they had enough business to take reservations. They've got to be riding the coattails of the previous restaurant. We won't be back.

1  Thank Shannon K