“Pleasantly surprised”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cranford
Brunswick, United States
“Pleasantly surprised”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Having never stayed at this hotel, I was happily surprised with the very nice suite. The bedroom and bathroom areas were completely separate from the TV/sitting room area. The suite was large, clean and very comfortable. It was set up like a "mini apartment." I also liked that the windows opened all the way. Although it was a little more expensive than what we usually pay, it was well worth the few extra dollars. We'll definately stay here again when in the area.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

Homewood S, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites Newark-Cranford, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Dear Glorio O.:

Thank you for your great 5-star review of the property! I am happy we exceeded your expectations and delivered a great experience. Our suites are designed similar to mini-apartments, as we want our guests staying 1 to 365 nights to feel at home.

Please feel free to contact us prior to your next stay. We look forward to welcoming you "home" again!

908-709-1980 ext. 7803

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Carlisle, PA
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We were looking for a hotel close to the train so we could go to the PSU-Syracuse football game and into NYC. Most of the hotels closer in were booked and we chose this, our first stay at a Homewood Suites branded property. The hotel is a little hard to get to - at a busy intersection of several roads and right off the entrance to the Garden State Parkway. We found it with no trouble, however - approaching from Linden, NJ. We stopped before the game, and there was not a room available yet, so we proceeded on and checked in later that night about 9 pm. The person at the desk was helpful and gave us a sheet of restaurant possibilities for dinner. As we checked those out, we found that it was outdated, and we couldn't locate several of the places we searched for. The room was comfortable and everything was there, although it was very muggy, and we had to turn up the A/C. In the morning, breakfast was extremely crowded. There was a group there for a wedding, and the people in the small dining area were really hustling just to be able to put out plates to eat off. Everything was pretty much heat and serve - or canned (fruit), etc. This was not the experience you get at Embassy Suites. Perhaps the real oddity is that the hotel is physically connected to a retirement/nursing home, and some of the people there seem to use the facilities. There is a small, shallow outdoor pool, and a number of chairs and tables outside where you can also eat breakfast. They have a reception with food and wine Monday-Thursday, which we didn't get a chance to try since we were there over Labor Day weekend. When we came back on Sunday, the maid had taken our towels, which we were going to reuse - and hadn't replaced them. A call to the desk had someone with a clean set at our room within 10 minutes. We did enjoy having the refrigerator and plates and utensils, which we used for a late night hors d'ouevre dinner (there was even a corkscrew for the wine). Altogether, it was a satisfactory lodging for several nights, and it would probably be a great place for families on a budget. it's just not a Hilton or Embassy Suites, but the price ($122) was right. PS - the shower is a little odd and hard to get regulated, but once we figured it out, it was fine.

Room Tip: It's a long way from most of the rooms to the elevator and back to the one door that leads to th...
Dear willgal,

Thank you very much for your detailed response! You mentioned a number of items with in your response, but suffice it to say your overall experience was positive. True, we are not an Embassy Suites, as Embassy is a full-service all-suite brand. Homewood is considered "focus-service" with all amenities included in the rate. Comparatively to Embassy Suites, our Managers Reception features more of a dinner and less of appetizers.

Should travel bring you back to Cranford/Newark, NJ, please contact me prior to your next stay. I would like to ensure it is nothing short of 5-stars!

908-709-1980 ext. 7803
Flower Mound, Texas, United States
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Rooms are not great, Water does not flush in the tub, its dusty everywhere. People were nice but room are old and not to the Homewood standards. My Son got a rash after staying there. Price is not cheap either. I would stay somewhere else.

2 Thank Adi C
Homewood S, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites Newark-Cranford, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Dear Adi C:

Thank you for taking the time to review the property, and I apologize for your less than satisfactory experience.

You mentioned a few things within the review. Specifically, are you 100% confident your son received a rash from staying at the property? Skin irritations have a multitude of causes, and it is very difficult to trace it back directly to the hotel. If that is the case, it is somewhat common irritations are cause by an allergic reaction to the detergent used to clean the sheets.

We will address the slow-draining tub, as there may be a partial clog. Regarding the dust, we will review with Housekeeping ensuring all areas are properly dusted.

Finally, price is subjective based on the reason and dates of stay. I invite you to contact the property directly to discuss any available discounts. In addition, should travel bring you back to the Newark-Cranford area, please call the hotel to discuss what we can do to ensure your stay is nothing short of 5-stars. Thank you,

Long Island, United States
Reviewed August 29, 2013

this hotel was the worst Hilton property hotel that I have ever had the misfortune to stay at. I received no help from the front desk and my aggravation from how my wife and I were treated ruined a wonderful family event for us. This hotel is dated the the help is of no help at all.

1 Thank Richard M
Dear Richard M:

Thank you for staying with us. Based on your guest service review, it appears your biggest concern was check-in time. We do try to honor early check-in before 3:00pm; however, it is not guaranteed. We do ask the guests to contact the property the day of arrival to see if early check-in is available, which is based solely on the previous nights' occupancy. By your own admission, you did not contact the property. Furthermore, you mentioned you checked into the room at 3:20pm, which is right at our time of check-in.

If the hotel is completely occupied the night before and the departing guests for the day do not check-out until 12:00pm, it is very difficult to clean those rooms in one-hour; hence our 3:00pm check-in policy.

I apologize the entire situation left you feeling stressed, but it does appear we provided the best possible service to you and honored our normal check-in time. While we do our best to accommodate everyone's requests, we do ask that requests are reasonable. There are certain instances that even 5-star hotels are unable to meet unreasonable expectations.

Homewood Suites by Hilton is an award-winning chain. I invite you to continue staying at Homewood Suites for all your travel needs, as I am confident future stays will not disappoint.

Please feel free to contact me at the number below to discuss the situation in further depth. Thank you!

Chicago, United States
Reviewed August 27, 2013

It would've been a nice stay, BUT....the room was unkempt on arrival. Bed not made and NO SHOWER curtain in the bathroom. Once I told the front desk..it took them about 15-20 mins to bring a shower curtain. During checkout I was asked how was my stay and was everything okay. I told them the issues I had, and the girl just smiled at me...WELL. if you're going to ask me what happen and then smile at me..WHY BOTHER asking???

2 Thank Sharon O
Dear Sharon O:

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I apologize for the check-in experience upon entering the suite. Based on your description, it sounds you checked into a clean, pre-inspected room. We require the housekeeping supervisors to finish detailing a room, including making the bed, closing the drawers, and occasionally replacing the shower curtain. All of those items are completed during the final inspection of a room.

I apologize for the response upon check-out. It has been addressed with the person responsible, and we conducted a brief training on follow-through.

Please contact me if travel returns you to the Newark-Cranford area. I am confident your next stay will be nothing short of 5-stars. Thank you,

Voorheesville, New York
Reviewed August 23, 2013

We stayed here for one night this week and found nothing wanting at this motel. The staff was extremely helpful and knowledgeable about the area. We enjoyed the complimentary food and wine which is served weekdays from 4-7. Breakfast was also good. Staff kept everything stocked. Our room was fine. Less than 2 miles away is the train station. There is an hourly shuttle from the hotel, but we parked for the day for $5 with our car. The train goes directly to NY Penn Station. It's a convenient place to stay! We'll be back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Homewood S, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites Newark-Cranford, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear croftoncrab:

Thank you for the great 5-star review of the property! I am happy to see you took advantage of all our amenities. Daily breakfast, dinner Monday through Thursday, and complimentary wireless internet are one of the many amenities available to our guests.

Our proximity to NYC certainly does not hurt, as by train or car takes you into central Manhattan in less than 45 minutes.

Should travel bring you back to Cranford/Newark, NJ, please contact me. I appreciate the opportunity to deliver another 5-star stay for you. Thank you!

Mississauga
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Good expereince. breakfast staff needs to be more cheerful and helpful. Variety and freshness of break fast food needs to be improved.hotel rates for HH members was high compared to the other hotels in the same area. We had to check out since the hotel could not extend out stay. Which turned out to be a blessing since I got a cheaper deal of hotels in teh same area with lot of other facilities.

Dear Mujtaba A:

Thank you for taking the time to review our property and for the 4-star rating. In this area, price is subjective to the level and quality of service you receive, in addition to the value of staying at an all-suite property. While there may have been hotels “cheaper” in the area, the value we provide our guests is well beyond other hotels in the area.

Should travel bring you back to Cranford/Newark, NJ, please contact me prior to selecting a hotel. I would like to discuss with you in detail the true value of staying with Homewood Suites. I am confident your next stay will be nothing short of 5-stars. Thank you!

908-709-1980
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cranford
The Kenilworth Hotel
Embassy Suites by Hilton Newark Airport
Hampton Inn Linden
Hampton Inn Linden
#1 of 4 in Linden

Been to Homewood Suites Newark-Cranford? Share your experiences!