“Please Change Personnel”

Homewood Suites Newark-Cranford
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cranford
Reviewed May 31, 2013

It was with great sadness that I had to rate this hotel as being Poor. We had stayed before and were delighted enough to select it again in as we visited family in the area from NC. We were placed in a in a first floor smoking room with wafts of smells from both cigars and cigarettes. I had requested a top floor no smoking room. Personnel at the desk acknowledged my request but said that was all that was available. Noticed other checking in after us that were placed in other rooms and they had no reservation. The breakfast was poor to terrible and the person in charge was closing out ahead of the 9:30AM stated. When asking for an item she just turned away and said "closed".

1  Thank Selma S
Homewood S, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites Newark-Cranford, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

Dear Selma S,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. First, please accept my apologies for the inconveniences you faced. You mentioned a few issues I would like to address:

I am able to confirm your suite was in fact non-smoking; however, it was near smoking suites. Due to the layout of the hotel, most of our suites with two-full size beds are located on the first floor. In addition, Hilton/Homewood Suites requires a certain amount of our rooms designated as smoking. Therefore, we do have suites on the first floor with two full size beds designated as smoking.

For future bookings, may I suggest you inform us of your most important preference e.g. away from smoking rooms, top floor, or bed preference. We may be able to place you on a higher floor away from smoking rooms, but in a suite with a king-size bed. Please know that the other guests checking in may have requested a suite with a king size bed; as we diligently try to honor all requests as best as possible.

With respect to the breakfast, Monday through Friday service ends at 9:00am. For holiday weekends, we may explore the option of keeping it open later. Please know the staff experience is being addressed swiftly.

I do ask you contact me directly prior to your next stay in Cranford. I am confident your next stay will be nothing short of a 5-star review. Thank you,

Reviewed May 30, 2013

breakfast staff totally awesome! great food and extremely helpful if something wasnt available. rooms are very efficient for an extended stay and appreciate the two room suite cleaning staff needs better management

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Dear April W,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I take all feedback very seriously, especially when you mention areas that need to be addressed with the staff. Please know the General Manager has taken the lead on your comments and changes are in place to improve service.

I am glad to read other elements of your stay were very positive. If traveling back to Cranford-Newark area, please contact me directly to ensure your next stay is nothing short of a 5-star review. Thank you,

Reviewed May 29, 2013

Both my wife and I were very pleased to stay at the Homewood Suites Newark-Cranford while attending our grand-daughter's graduation from Montclair State University. We were very pleased with the accomodations and service we received during our two day stay. The complimentary breakfast was delightful and offered a variety of breakfast offerings. We plan to visit again. Sincerely, Dana and Connie Denault (Marblehead, MA)

1  Thank Dana D

Dear Dana and Connie Denault,

Thank you for your great 4-star review of the property! I appreciate all feedback, especially when it is positive and descriptive. I am happy to see you enjoyed our breakfast, one of the many amenities we offer complimentary to our guests.

If travel brings you back to the Cranford-Newark area, please feel free to contact me directly, to ensure your next stay earns a 5-star review! Thank you,

Reviewed May 28, 2013

When I finally settle in I realized that the HVAC noise was horrible which was after 11 p.m. and the engineers were off the clock, therefore; nothing was done. Did not get any sleep at all due to the horrible noise. Room 328 please check the HVAC unit out..the noise is a sleep killer. Other then this, I love the hotel and the stay.

Dear Patricia T,

Thank you for your great 4-star review, especially considering the issue you experienced with the HVAC. Your comments and feedback are taken very seriously as we always are improving. We have since fixed the issue in the suite, as we realize a great night's sleep is one of the most important elements of your stay.

Again, thank you for taking the time to review our property. Please contact me prior to your next stay, to ensure all elements of the suite are working properly so we can earn a 5-star review.

Reviewed May 26, 2013

Excellent location just off the Garden State Pkwy but in a quiet spot. Very pleasant decor and helpful staff. Large suite with separate bedroom, split bathroom, kitchenette, excellent price for what we got. Large choice of breakfast items and spacious seating area although crowded when we got there at 9 a.m on a Saturday.

Dear tag1000,

Thank you for your great 4-star review of the property! I appreciate all feedback, especially when it is positive.

I am happy you were able to take advantage of many of the amenities we offer complimentary. Weekends do tend to be busy, and most guests come down for breakfast right before it ends at 10:00am. For future travelers reading this review and response, a helpful tip to ensure seating in the breakfast area is to try and enjoy breakfast around 8:30am. You are also welcome to bring your meal back to your suite to enjoy breakfast in privacy.

Again, thank you for your review. Please feel free to contact me prior to your next stay, to ensure we can deliver a 5-star experience!

Reviewed May 24, 2013

I was very disappointed by my stay at this hotel. Parking is nonexistent and I felt unsafe. I had to drive around many times and park in another parking lot. This should have been mentioned while checking into the hotel. The mattresses are horrible, and when I called the front desk for extra tissue it never arrived. I called two times. The management staff was unhelpful. I will not stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Homewood S, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites Newark-Cranford, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2013

Dear P B:

Thank you for taking the time to respond, and our apologies for the issues you faced. Please know I take all feedback and comments very seriously. It appears you experienced a few issues I would like to address.

Due to high occupancy the past few weeks, parking has been a problem; however, we do have the correct number of spaces required by the city of Cranford. The hotel is located in front of a corporate park; therefore, street parking in front of the hotel is safe and does not have a high volume of traffic. Additionally, we do have an overflow parking lot which is in conjunction with the assisted living facility just a few feet beyond our parking area.

There should not have been an issue with receiving tissues; again my apologies.

Our mattresses are Hilton approved and comfort is very subjective. Hilton takes this into account when specifying bedding products. I am sorry you did not enjoy a good night’s sleep during your stay.

I do invite you to contact the hotel directly at the contact information below. Thank you for staying with us, and if travel brings you back to Cranford, NJ, I am confident your next stay will be nothing short of fantastic.

908-709-1980 ext. 7803

Reviewed May 24, 2013

We reserved a smoke-free suite (We had children and asthmatics), we did not receive one. The room was FILTHY. Had last guests trash, hair in the fridge and showers...my nieces socks turned black after walking in the room or an hour. Very disappointed. My one year old pulled out an old can of the previous guests "muscle milk" within minutes of arriving in the hotel room. Staff was nice and understanding, and the breakfast buffet was great. Just VERY disappointed about the cleanliness of the room.

1  Thank Heather A

Dear Heather A:

Thank you for taking the time to respond, and our apologies for the issues you faced. Please know we take all feedback and comments very seriously. First, the General Manager shared your experience with the housekeeping team and spoke to the individuals responsible for cleaning and inspecting the room during a counseling session. The hotel does have a monthly carpet cleaning program in place; however, due to recent high-demand at the hotel we are not always able to perform the service when scheduled. Your specific suite had a long-term guest check-out; however, due to limited number of two-bedroom suites available we placed you in that particular room. But we failed to clean the carpet prior to your arrival.

Please know your experience is not indicative of a stay at the hotel, nor was it acceptable. We fell well short of exceeding your expectations, but I am confident should you choose to return your stay will be nothing short of fantastic. Please feel free to contact the General Manager or me directly to discuss any other concerns.

908-709-1980 ext. 7803

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cranford
The Kenilworth Hotel
Best Western Riverview Inn & Suites
Home2 Suites Rahway
Home2 Suites Rahway
#1 of 5 in Rahway

Been to Homewood Suites Newark-Cranford? Share your experiences!