“Not expected from homewood/hilton”

Homewood Suites Newark-Cranford
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cranford
Reviewed June 30, 2012

Had booked four nights at this hotel. We showed up an hour and a half earlier after an 18 hour flight and were told that room wasn't ready as yet. Fair enough. Check in time is 3:00 pm. Came back around 8.30 pm to be told after checking in that we couldn't use the tub/ shower till next day since it had been repaired and that we should air it out since the suite was full of chemical fumes from the grout !! Since the hotel was full , they couldn't give me another. Also since had already checked in, couldn't go to another, not that my wife, 11 yr old daughter and I had any energy left after the long flight. Disappointing. Further compounded by the fact the the AC unit is within the bedroom and wS making a racket. The maintenance guy was kind enough to try his utmost to fix Nd it did reduce some, but the rather loud low frequency sounds have made sleeping, for me at least, a bit of a challenge.
Have stayed in homewood suites before and have great memories, so this was not expected. The suite is simply not useable and should not have been rented. The hotel should have planned better. They do state they have a 'satisfaction guarantee...' (we'll fix it or you don't pay for the night... ) but guess it doesn't apply in this case. I am not satisfied and , no don't want my money back but just a decent, comfortable room, which is what I would expect of a Hilton Hotel.

Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank George F

Reviewed June 30, 2012

I hate to do this but a massive disaster. 4 families in town for a wedding. The hotel decides to install no slip surface in tubs on weekend before 4th of July? Rooms not only not ready... But smell from the treatment and painting was down right toxic. Though told our rooms were ready the workers hadn't finished.. Complete lack of organization from the management level which left the front desk in total disarray and no solutions. This reflects poorly on everyone working in the hotel. Buy rubber mats and then plan to shut the place down for 2 days and get the perminant solution installed. Instead, the choice was to ruin a weekend for numerous people.

• Stayed: June 2012
2  Thank papaswamp
Reviewed June 14, 2012

This is my first stay here, I was working at an office in Cranford, and the hotel was very convenient. It's right off the parkway, but a little complicated to get into if you aren't familiar with the area.

Big picture the hotel seems very nice, they offer breakfast every morning, and dinner Monday - Thursday, which makes it an excellent value. They also have a little shop with snacks, some frozen food (like pizzas) and beverages. Restaurant options nearby are limited (in the immediate vicinity), so it's helpful to have food available. For longer stays it's nice to have a living space separate from the bedroom. The small kitchen is a nice touch, but I didn't use it.

On closer examination the rooms are worn. Lots of little things were broken. TV remote was missing. Breakfast was plentiful on Monday, and by Friday there were very few options. Dinner was not of interest to us. It was very noisy, both from other rooms and people in the hallways, and from outside. If you want ice you need to turn on the ice maker in the freezer as soon as you check in, it takes awhile to get going.

On the plus side, the staff was really friendly. The beds are very comfy. The space is nice. The hotel is kept pretty clean. You also get a paper every morning. Internet is free, but you do have to sign in every 24 hours.

It was probably an isolated incident, but one day of my stay, I forgot to leave a tip for housekeeping. When I got back to my room the alarm had been reset and was going off, and on buzzer rather than the radio I left it on. The bed was made such that the sheet went right down the middle. The room smelled like mexican food. I really felt like housekeeping was serious about their tips and were messing with me. So long as I left a tip they did a great job. So make sure to leave a tip!

Room Tip: Try to get a packing lot view rather than a parkway view, it's quieter.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank oklybb
Reviewed June 2, 2012 via mobile

While the floors in the room weren't as clean as they could have been, the hotel was nice. Quiet. Comfortable pillows. Polite and helpful staff. Decent continental breakfast. Free wine and beer with the buffet dinner. Good value for a longer stay in the area. Would be nicer if they had a better fitness center.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed May 7, 2012

We have been staying here on trips since 2009...each time we return, it is more and more run down and noisy. Lots of extended stay and wedding parties seem the norm. On our last visit we were so disappointed we check out after just one night and we are Hilton Honors members.

Room Tip: Watch out for the parties..
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Jim L
Reviewed March 11, 2012

The good:
1) Beds are comfortable and a good sleep value.
2) Basic level of cleanliness.
3) This is as good as you can get in this area

The bad:
1) Breakfast is below par. We would not look forward to the hotel breakfast but rather chew on stuff before heading out.
2) Hotel décor choice is hopelessly outdated. Looks 2012 from outside and 1980 from inside.
3) Water was barely warm to be able to take shower. No fun.
4) Internet speeds are slow. Business travelers don’t appreciate this.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Nils_KR
Reviewed March 4, 2012

My employer reserved my stay at the Homewood Suites in Cranford, NJ for a few months. After being at the hotel for just three days; a staff member invited themself into my room and stole my personal property. I filed a police report and spoke with the General Manager, who said he would file a claim with the insurance company. Then I was told that the insurance company was going to deny the claim because I should have never left my own property out. Also, to take all of worth with me. Which means future guest of Homewood Suites; if you value your personal property, including your clothes, shoes, suitcase, jewelry, etc. Don't check-in at the Homewood Suites, Cranford, NJ because what you bring in the staff will walk out with it and it's OKAY with managment.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Mypropertynotyours
Tito R, General Manager at Homewood Suites Newark-Cranford, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2012

Thank you for your feedback about your experience. Your safety and security is of the uttmost importance to us, we try hard to make sure all our guests have a rewarding experience at The Homewood Suites Cranford NJ. As you know, your case is under investigation with both the local authorities and myself. I hope to come to a resolution during our next conversation, I could be reached at 908-709-1980. Thank you again for your comments on this review!

Tito Rodriguez
Homewood Suites - Cranford
2 Jackson Drive | Cranford, New Jersey 07016

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cranford
The Kenilworth Hotel
Hampton Inn Linden
Hampton Inn Linden
#1 of 4 in Linden
Best Western Westfield Inn

Been to Homewood Suites Newark-Cranford? Share your experiences!