“Fiasco at the Cranburry Inn”
Review of Cranbury Inn

Cranbury Inn
Ranked #10 of 17 Restaurants in Cranbury
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed December 23, 2013

I planned over a month prior to my parents 60th wedding anniversary. I went and met with the owner and was given a lecture on his political views and when I had to redirect him to the event multiple times I was promised a nicely decorated private room, specific music and proper service, this was not provided. At 5:30 pm our party of eight arrived to the private room, no one greeted us, when informed we were already in the room we waited 45 min. for menus. The service was horrible, the room was freezing, we were not served any food at the same time, if at all, many of the staff continued to come into the room to go to a back room, we had to request each course, the waiter did not serve in proper format. When I went to discuss this with what seemed to be the female manager, she was so rude and disrespectful, I was forced to ask her if she was raising her voice to me. The entire fiasco took 3.5 hours plus. If the party did not consist of three 89 year olds and two children I would have walked out.

I have worked as a waiter and the process if not that complicated. It was the owners responsibility to over see his poorly trained staff and to confirm that all was well. Mr. Tom Ingegneri did not apologize, did not m write a note and did not call afterward to rectify the situation.

Money can not replace a one time event of a 60 year anniversary. I will never ever recommend this Inn to anyone due to poor planning, skeleton crew, lack of service and improper training of the help along with the lack of consciousness to provide a simple and expensive service that was very important to my family.

4  Thank m m

Reviewed October 28, 2013

Poor advice from the server lead to a disappointing meal. Salad was decent but server said blue cheese dressing would have a lot of chunks of cheese - one chunk was found amongst the 3 servings along with a few very, very small crumbs. Two people did enjoy the bean soup. Server also thought the duck was a good choice - said another customer thought it was the best he ever had. Four of us got duck - two of us thought it was the worst duck we ever had(tough and dry) while the other two felt it was sort of ok. The other two diners thought their meals were ok. Why eat out if you're not going to enjoy the meal?

Reviewed September 3, 2013

My son (age 8) and I decided to stop over when we were in the area for lunch. The interior is pretty cool with the historical look and feel and the owners seemed overjoyed to discuss that Washington was truly there! We were the only table until halfway through our meal when another table came in. I ordered the tenderloin tips which was filet mignon, however it was definitely re-heated. I was so disappointed as the toughness of the meat made it almost inedible. My son had pasta and thought it was wonderful, but he has a limited palate! We didn't have any issues with the wait staff, but again, we were the only table there for half our meal. I may go back to try dinner, but it won't be top on my list.

1  Thank Mccanavan3
Reviewed July 27, 2013

My girlfriend and I recently had lunch on a Sunday afternoon in the lovely town of Cranbury, New Jersey before visiting a museum. Twenty-five years ago I enjoyed a wedding rehearsal dinner for my family and attendees at the Cranbury Inn, but sadly the service has deteriorated. We were not approached by anyone upon entering the restaurant and finally found someone to seat us. We were offered the twenty-five dollar Sunday brunch menu which we declined. Then we were ignored for at least 20 minutes until I approached a waitress. There were private parties going on at that time which should not be an excuse for poor communication and lackluster service. We ordered our meals and I opted for a salad and crab cake appetizer. The white wine my friend ordered arrived not properly chilled, although we both enjoyed our food. The waitress did apologize and offered us free dessert from the buffet brunch table which we were not interested in...our bill was comped for the wine and salad to make up for poor service. I do not fault the waitress but the management. They seriously need to be concerned about this kind of treatment, or they will lose more business. It is a shame since the decor and historical setting is quite appealing for lunch or dinner and the town has so much to offer.

3  Thank tahiti88
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Went there to celebrate a special birthday for my wife(just the two of us). Had made reservations with "Tom", the owner, personally, the week before, for a Saturday night at 6:30PM. Got there at about 6:20PM. Owner's wife showed us to a table, not even checking on the reservation, in a room almost empty of other diners, commenting something about just cleaning up from the wedding(which apparently was in the adjacent banquet hall). We sat there for almost 15 minutes before someone came over and asked if we were being waited on!
Before deciding on our order, my wife asked about the prime rib special, but the waiter didn't seem to comprehend what she meant-so, scratch that. We then attempted to order. As the entrees came with soup or salad, we asked for a cup of soup as an extra ,for an appetizer, and said we'd have the salads as part of the standard "come with the meal" option. Had to argue with the waiter for 5 minutes that we understood that we intended to pay extra for the soup, but wanted it , as well as the salad also. but he just couldn't seem to "get it".
Then, the food- my special soup of the day was cream of mushroom-hardly recognizable as anything at all, not to mention the small "cup". We both had the Filet Mignon- OK , just OK.
The mashed potatoes and veggies were diner quality- we decided to "doctor up" everything with a pat of butter- the steak, potatoes, and the veggies, as well as with some salt and pepper.
Even though the owner had walked through the room at least 3-4 times, not once did he, or anyone else)including the waiter, ask us how everything was.
The whole evening was just a big disappointment, for what we hoped would be a very special night.

1  Thank TTBF