“Great food!”

Local Smokes BBQ
Ranked #1 of 6 Restaurants in Cookstown
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed January 21, 2014

The place doesn't look like much: walk up counter, plastic utensils, serve-yourself fountain, but the food is where this place shines! We had the sliced brisket (super moist) and smoked hot dog (tasty)! The cornbread was sweet and cakey. Good fries, too. Service is fast. You get a good amount of food for the price. If you're staying near the Base, definitely check this place out!

Reviewed September 8, 2013

I just arrived on business and was looking for a place to eat dinner. I am not an expert on BBQ, but have eaten styles from St. Louis, Kansas City, Georgia, Texas and AZ. I drove by and decided to check it out...I ordered the brisket chopped sandwhich (see pic). Overall, good smoked flavor, plenty of meat. Not a big fan of the bun...but nonetheless it was ok. I also had their potato salad. Great flavor, but prefer a bit less celery (personal preference). The bbq sauce is sweet and not too much vinegar flavor (not a fan of the vinegar heavy sauces). While I took my order to go (and was so anxious that I forgot my plasticware and napkins), the eating establishment is cozy...wooden chairs, 2 wide screen TVs for game watching and seems line a family friendly establishment. Bottomline, I will visit again!

Reviewed July 21, 2013

This is a simple, local, no-frills family-friendly restaurant that has very good BBQ. My wife and I visited the other night to try out the food to see if we wanted to use them to cater an upcoming outdoor event. The focus of the operation is definitely on the food/BBQ and this is apparent with the display of trophy's, awards and photos (even in the men's room) from BBQ competitions - these folks take their BBQ seriously! So - we tried a little bit of everything and MY favorites were the ribs, brisket and sweet potatoe fries. Enjoyed the corn bread too. We are definitely going to use them for our event and looking forward to the catered BBQ experience.

Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

Living in the South, I have access to the best BBQ in the country. This BBQ isn't southern, but it is definitely worth eating. This place is near the top of my list of places to eat near JB-MDL.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

Excellent food. I always pig out. The area is always super clean. This place is worth every buck. I recommend eating at the Local Smokes BBQ to anyone visiting the area.