“Perfect for a "noncamping" family”
Review of Camp Taylor

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Columbia
Camp Taylor
Reviewed August 8, 2012

We are not an outdoorsy family so we rented one of Camp Taylor's RVs (RV2). It was perfect! The RV was extremely clean and in perfect condition and just the right size for our family of 5. The staff was very friendly and extremely helpful - you can tell that the Taylor family takes pride in their property. We had a great time and we'll definitely come back again. There was enough to do at the campground to keep us occupied for 2 days (swimming in pond, hiking, game room, miniature golf), but the DE Water Gap is only 15-20 minutes away for those who need more.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed August 4, 2012

The campground is very wooded lots of space between the sites and the wolf preserve is definitely worth the hike up the mountain. We did not pay for the tour and still saw a few wolves a bobcat and a fox. On the way up to see the wolves you could hear them howling in the distance kind of unnerving actually but very cool too. They also have a deer pen and they were very friendly and offered a close and personal deer encounter. They also have a small pond with a few boats and a swimming area. It was nice and clean and my kids enjoyed it.

Unfortunately, we rented one of the two trailers that they have. It was a hot humid weekend and the trailers AC didn't work. The owners put in a portable unit but that didn't do a thing and made for a very miserable weekend. The beds were without a doubt the worst beds that I have EVER slept in. At the price they charge for these units they can at least put in a decent mattress. There was also a strong septic smell partly I'm sure due to the AC being broken but it was quite awful. They also say that they are WIFI accessible but what they don't tell you is that they limit the bandwidth that you are allowed to use. My girlfriend had a school course to take and she could not get the information that she needed through there limited network access.

So in conclusion we might or might not stay at this site again but if we do we will definitely be better prepared for whatever problems might arise.

Room Tip: Sleep in a tent.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank tcambrose
CampTaylor, Owner at Camp Taylor, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2012

The management at Camp Taylor is very sorry that you did not have a good experience in the RV Rental. Unfortunately, The AC stopped working and a repair service was called immediately, but was unable to get the parts to repair it before your arrival. We always try to remedy a problem as quickly as possible, and a portable unit was immediately brought in. However, the excessive temperatures and extremely high humidity was apparently too much for that type of unit to manage. When you expressed your disappointment with the RV’s AC, we offered you two free nights at a later date when the temperatures would not be so extreme or a refund. I’m sorry you couldn’t get enough bandwidth for your needs, but because internet service is so limited in this rural area, (many homes still only have access to dial-up), we have to restrict bandwidth so one person can not monopolize access to the internet. We do thank you for the review, and are sure your experience would have been better with different weather. We are glad to report the AC has since been repaired and hope you will return another time.

Reviewed July 23, 2012

We are new, first time travel trailer owners and decided to make a stay at Camp Taylor our first camping experience in our own vehicle. Let me preface this by saying that we have stayed at Disney’s Fort Wilderness in a cabin, so we have a little bit of campground knowledge.
Camp Taylor was just perfect! About 50 miles from our home, it was a quiet weekend getaway, just a small lake for swimming (it was chilly anyway) and lots of hiking trails, which is what we did during the day. Each trailer site is quite large and perfectly kept, with a picnic table, fire pit and trash can! The fact that everything was so clean and neat really impressed us. I took a peek at the showers/bathrooms and was not surprised to see very clean, very useable facilities. We also used the Dump Station on our way out and it was functioning properly and maintained well.
The store is adequate for some needs, especially for those who want to cook over the campfire pit, which is at each site. We purchased wood for our campfire, as you must do in all of NJ (maybe more states, too).
A nice weekend was had, thanks to the owners, Clayton & Jean and one of their employees, Kim!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Found this place online..... The stresses of life, work, etc prompted me to seek out a place where I could heAr myself think, do some writing, reflecting while connecting with nature. This place is my new refuge. The Taylor family is very protective of their investment, clearly, and make no bones about rules concerning safety and environmental preservation. This is not the place to come if you are partiers, loud, do not want to respect the property or the people here. This IS the place to come to relax, if you are responsible, mindful of others, and wanting a true camping experience.
When i made my reservation, I was asked if I would like a cabin nearest the water or the restrooms- which I thought was a nice thi g to ask as they could have put me anywhere. When I arrived, the family was working doubletime to accomodate the last minute needs of a few people before closing, inlcuding me checking in. One family was pretty obnoxious with requests and kids running about and in and out, and I could see why there were a few rules put in place. The Taylors and staff, however, were calm and eventoned, and one of the staff ( I think Mr Taylor) even asked one of the interested teenager groups if they wanted anything from the back part of the store that was already closed. Very grAcious, and offered to help me get the firewood bundles from the shed.
Sunday night here is quiet and perfect- the cabin is quaint and beautiful. I am listening to the sounds of nature and cannot tell there is anyone here at all. My friends at home are reading about my adventures as a single girl braving the "wild" out here, and are finding it par for the course that I locked myself in my
cabin for a half hour (tricky sliding lock)! Very peaceful here. Off to enjoy my very own firepit as I digest my bbq dinner i made on the grill in my own backyard!

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank rainbowbaby98
Reviewed July 20, 2012

We visited Camp Taylor for Father's Day weekend with 6 adults and 5 kids. Upon check in the Taylor family warns you about possible bears coming to the campsite but we never thought they would actually come. They did! We kept our campsite super clean as per the warning by the owners but the bears were knocking over garbage pails about 3 campsites away. We were terrified. Despite that incident, the campsite is very nice. They had activities for the kids in the clubhouse. They had mini golf and a lake for swimming. There was also a game room. You can walk up to the wolf preserve and see the wolves without having to do the tour. There was also a game room. The camp store is stocked and they have a nice gift shop. The campsites were shaded and fairly private. The port a potties were clean and in close proximity to our campsite. All in all the campsite was nice but we will not be going back after being traumatized by the bears! :(

3  Thank RaeMac04
Reviewed June 27, 2012

We first rented a Cabin about 4 years ago to spend the weekend with our friends who have a seasonal site (he has been camping there since he was a kid). The cabin was nice, quiet, right next to the brook. After that we bought out own RV and have been seasonal campers since. We have a 5 year old who is growing up with nature each summer, exploring and learing, not spending her weekends in front of the tv or playing video games. The owners are great, the staff is great, and the other campers are great as well. We get to see seasonal friends as well as meet new people (weekenders) every time we go. Highly recommended to get back to nature and connect with your kids again.

3  Thank havedoguewilltravel
Reviewed June 25, 2012

The camp exceeded my expectations. While reserving a spot I received a great recommedation for which sites were more secluded (my preference). When half of our party arrived they wanted something closer to the bathrooms. It was no problem. They drove around the camp and picked the one they wanted. It was still secluded enough so that we did not see any of our neighbor campers, yet super close the store and bathrooms... Very happy with the spot.

The site was spacious and I happen to love the fire pit. Instead of that metal ring is was made with rocks. Any by the way we found plenty of sticks and limbs lying around our site which made the wood we bought last longer. We didn't collect it all but saved some for the next campers.

I didn't have high expectations of the swimming pond and neither should you. I personally wouldn't swim in it but I wasn't planning to. The campground is maintained very nicely. The showers and bathrooms are clean and nice luxury, considering I usually camp in places where there are no showers or hot water.

The walk to the wolves is not too far. You can take a decent stroller but a kid carry pack would probably be better.

All the staff in the store were friendly. The negative reviews about the owner are simply unfair. He is very nice and super informative. He wants everyone to enjoy their time at the camp. It is still HIS property and he has the right to set rules and deserves respect. I'm sure that the people who wrote their reviews would demand nothing less on their own properties.

5  Thank Beansorpeanutbutter

Been to Camp Taylor? Share your experiences!