“Fun”

Add it.
Little Louies Barbeque
Cuisines: Southwestern
Reviewed March 28, 2012

Had a groupon which is why we went, but glad we did. Good portions and good food. Will definitely return!

There are newer reviews for Little Louies Barbeque

Reviewed March 27, 2012

This was a new place we tried and we were pleasantly surprised. They are located at the end of Haddon Ave, where it is a little quieter and with lots of parking. The food is exceptional for BBQ and meats. It is a little pricey, but thats ok! The only advice I would have is to use less salt for the fried chicken. We did not try the desserts but it is a BYOB so lots of people brought 6-packs in. Overall, a good and different restaurant to the scene.

Reviewed March 22, 2012

OK, I admit that I'm fairly new to barbeque. I was introduced to it a few years ago by, believe it or not, my mother. (What could this little old lady from New Jersey know about barbeque? Lots. She was in the senior citizens' lunch club.) I could kick myself for all those years I drove past the barbeque places down south to find a Howard Johnson's. But now I'm lots smarter, and I'm hooked, having first tried barbeque at the chain restaurants, then advancing to the smaller independents.

But every barbeque joint (except the cookie-cutter chain restaurants) has a story about it. Lets start with the architecture. Little Louie's obviously used to be a gas station. Then it was converted into something else. (I can't remember what; maybe an office.) Now its in its third incarnation as a restaurant.

Then the décor. When we entered, we were asked “Would you like to sit with John Wayne, or at a window.” We chose the window, but there on the other side of the room, was that a flat screen TV? Or a bright neon Mexican velvet painting of John Wayne? In fact, looking around the room, ALL of the decorations are cowboy stuff – movie posters, cow skulls, etc. But OLD movies. Nothing even as new as a Clint Eastwood spaghetti western.

Next, the background music – BLUES! I asked if they ever have live blues and was told not yet, but they will when they put in a dining patio this spring. Next time I come I'll bring my harp.

Oh ... you want to know about the food? My dining partner ordered a pulled pork sandwich. I ordered the 20 hour barbequed brisket. Waitress Michelle asked “Would you like mayonnaise cole slaw with that, or vinegar cole slaw?” Whats the difference? Is one grated finer than the other? “No, they're both the same, just one is made with mayo and the other with vinegar.” My dining partner didn't want any slaw, so I got them both.

He tells me his pork was very good. He tried a couple of different barbeque sauces on it, and no complaints about them either. The brisket was excellent. Maybe a little on the dry side, but that could have been fixed with some barbeque sauce. Each plate also came with Little Louie's hand-cut french fries served in a little paper bag.

The mayonnaise cole slaw tasted like regular cole slaw, but the vinegar cole slaw is mis-named. I've had a similar salad at other places where it was called “cabbage salad” or “health salad.”

Little Louie's also has a nice selection of desserts. I was tempted by the pecan pie, but was too stuffed to eat any more.

Overall, a nice place to eat.

I notice that one reviewer gave Little Louie's Barbeque a bad review because they ran out of stuff during their first week in business. C'mon! I'll bet that even he couldn't have planned for a couple of hundred extra unexpected guests one week in his own kitchen. Give Little Louie a break. I'm bumping his rating up a notch to counteract that other guy.

Reviewed January 29, 2012

Went to Little Louie's yesterday with my Groupon. Food was great! Burnt end nachos would've been the best I ever had if they had a little more meat and cheese on them and were a little hotter.

The place was jammed because of the Groupon and a little short handed (looked like some waitresses showed up late!) so the food took a little while to get to us (30-45 minutes) but the brisket was good, the mild BBQ sauce was good. My husband loved the pulled pork. I wouldn't recommend the ribs because they didn't have that much meat on them and they don't give you many in the 3-meat meal for $19.

The waiter was very nice and attentitve, very engaging and interested to hear feedback. I am definitely going back for the nachos and the brisket. The brisket sandwich was HUGE and the fries were hot and very tasty! Cornbread was good too but I prefer mine hot with butter personally. Took home enough leftovers for another meal.

Nice looking place but not a lot of tables. Sun shines right in the front window and the shades don't really block it out so try to sit further in the restaurant.

Try it out with the Groupon, last day to get that! They also have all you can eat BBQ on Tuesdays (and maybe Wednesdays if I remember correctly). They're closed Mondays but open 12-8 or 8 every other day. GOOD EATS!

Reviewed December 31, 2011

We love great BBQ, but Little Louies disappointed us: the brisket was so fatty that it had more in common with pork belly(yeah I know there is a fat and lean side to brisket, but seriously, it was way too much fat still left after the 20 hours of slow cooking: that means there was twice as much as fat to begin with). The grits were not ground, but whole pieces of corn with no flavor of corn. All one can taste in this dish is garlic. The buffalo sausage which was found in the grits (with four flavorful large shrimp) was a bit dry (perhaps you could cook it with the fatty brisket). The vinegar-based Carolina style cole slaw was tasteless. I ask the good people at Little Louis': go to Percy Street BBQ on South Street in Philly and taste where you need to go to develop your product. I do wish you success, but you have a lot of regional competition now.

2  Thank YoRichie