“High priced, bad service, super cramped”
Review of Zeppoli

Zeppoli
Ranked #5 of 58 Restaurants in Collingswood
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“High priced, bad service, super cramped”
Reviewed March 18, 2014

First of all the restaurant is extremely small to fit so many people. Tables are packed close together so that waiters are bumping you every time they pass. It is poorly lit and as it is a BYOB restaurant, there were a lot of drunk people increasing the noise to an intolerable levels. We could not have a conversation. Second food was extremely pricey and small quantities. Like the gnocchi had only eight gnocchis in the dish. All the dishes are designed like that: pricey and small. They give you a big spill about how the food is true Sicillian but they omit to tell you that these are not Scicillian sizes. We felt it is a place to go to drink with BYOB after the dinner. Overall they simply don't compare with to Aldo Lamberti, Philomena in Berlin etc.

• Visited June 2013

Burlington, New Jersey
“Outstanding Southern Italian BYOB in SJ”
Reviewed March 11, 2014

We dined here on on our pseudo Valentine's Day night (the following Monday), and the restaurant was packed. The food was excellent, with the highlights being the full Sea Bass I ate, with my wife devouring the Fisherman's Stew. I also highly recommend any of the pastas...the two we tried were on a 'Vetri' level. (Pesto Trapanese and a Lamb Ragu Papardelle). Thought the atmosphere was actually a positive, and the wait staff were friendly, attentive and efficient. We'll be back.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Simon J
Westmont, New Jersey
“Most authentic Italian/Sicilian restaurant in South Jersey, but cramped space”
Reviewed February 25, 2014

We ate at Zeppoli for my husband's 60th birthday because I wanted him to have a meal to remember, and Zeppoli came through! Our meal was the most authentic Italian dinner we have had since our trip to Italy. Finally, a South Jersey Italian restaurant that dares not to shovel on the garlic and crab and oregano! First, we ordered the Antipasto Siciliano, which was a selection of cured meats, cheeses, roasted or pickled vegetables, and tuna/bean salad. I could have made a meal of just the platter and a bottle of wine (Zeppoli is a BYOB). My husband and I each chose a small pasta as a second course. I had the Tagliatelli al Limone with Sicilian bottarga (a fish roe). The lemon flavor was intense, with the roe giving the dish a delicate fishy aftertaste. My husband had the Pesto Trapanese, which was a fusilli pasta with an almond-pistachio pesto. The pasta was nicely chewy. The pesto was terrific, with tiny nuggets of ground nuts giving it a unique texture. For entree, my husband ordered the special fish of the day, a whole orata. It was the best fish dish I have ever tasted. Do not miss ordering the orata if it is offered when you dine. The portion was huge, and the flavors of the sauce actually penetrated into the meat (usually white fish meat tastes, well, just like white fish meat, but this fish had flavor). I ordered the grilled swordfish, which was another huge portion and was flavored with just the right touch of lemon and olive oil. However, it paled next to the orata, and I sat there wishing I had ordered the orata. For dessert we had the special semifreddo with nuts, which was a perfect light and not-too-sweet ending to the dinner. One last note--Zeppoli served a nice assortment of tasty bread (with an accompaniment of olives in oil). I like restaurants that pay attention to bread and do not treat it as an afterthought, I think it shows that the dishes to come are prepared with the same thought and attention.
I must insert a warning about the physical space of the restaurant. The small room seats about 35 and is cramped and noisy. Some of the chairs are quite horrid. If you are other than fashion model thin, you will not be comfortable. My chair was bumped 100 times, and at times we were almost yelling at each other. There is no place to wait if the previous diners loll about after their meal (the place had a couple of tables of passive/aggressive chatty diners who seemed to relish holding up the next reservations). Some of the patrons were waiting in freezing temps outside. I suppose the cramped space is appealing to some people, but I am "old school" and like quiet romantic places myself.

• Visited February 2014
Collingswood, New Jersey
“Best (and different) Antipasto”
Reviewed January 13, 2014

I've visited Zeppoli many times recently I shared an antipasto. It is not the usual meat/cheese and a few olives and roasted peppers. It comes with a variety of roasted vegs, fish, unusual chesses and all a beautifully presented. It is a perfect start of a meal.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Carole_R46368
Teacher in New Jersey
“Walk through the doors to Sicily”
Reviewed November 21, 2013

My husband and I went to dinner at Zeppoli for our 14th wedding anniversary; we brought a bottle each of red and white wine since we weren't sure what we were ordering. Every table was full and we had to wait a few minutes for our 7:30 reservation, which was fine; I wouldn't have wanted to leave either! The two gentlemen working the dining room were very attentive and got us our table as soon as the other patrons left. In the meanwhile we enjoyed the music duo that was defying the tiny space by playing enjoyable yet not overpowering instrumental tunes. They brought out delicious bread with an olive mix in lemon oil; we dipped our bread in that delicious oil and it got our tastebuds ready!
We both agreed that the antipasto was not to be missed; cauliflower, beets, and tuna cannellini salad were just a few unusual treats on this plate and it was fun to try so many different tastes with the wine. We shared two small pastas- the pistachio, with its nutty fusillii, and the special calamari with potato gnocchi and peas, both delicious. Whole fish and fisherman's stew for entrees; again, the whole fish just had so many fresh flavors that worked so well together, every dish was layered with the mixes of oil and olives and lemon; we savored every bite. We shared zeppolis for dessert; they were a simple and delicious treat.
As promised, it was a loud and tight space, but the tables are positioned so that nobody is right up on you, and I personally enjoy listening to people laugh and have fun. The timing of the courses was impeccable, and the service was professional yet warm. I can't wait to go back and try more of the menu!

• Visited November 2013