“Upscale comfort food”

Add it.
West Side Gravy
Cuisines: American
Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

I love this place! My favorite is the grilled cheese with Granny Smith apples on it with their tomato soup! Perfect combo of savory and sweet. Their fries are a must have with a crazy pairing of garlic truffle oil! Sounds strange, but strangely good! Evidently their meatloaf is awesome too, but I'm always drawn to the grilled cheese. Btw, love the cool art work in their restaurant!

There are newer reviews for West Side Gravy

Reviewed November 17, 2012

This was really a mixed bag. On one hand, everyone was satisfied with their entrees: mac and cheese, eggs with green peppers, and fried chicken. The service was also very good. On the other hand, one person in our party ordered fries and they didn't appear until ten minutes after the entrees were served. The waitress said they were coming, so it clearly was the kitchen's fault, not the waitress. The manner in which the fried chicken dinner is presented is absolutely ridiculous. The real problem was the beverages, of all things. Two people ordered diet Cokes that obviously had been watered down. The waitress brought fresh drinks, but they were no better. Clearly, the fountain is set to water down drinks. The same was true of one person's lemonade, which had barely a hint of, well, lemon. While the food was good, I can't imagine going back to a restaurant that, despite the best efforts of its wait staff, appears pretty uninterested in satisfying its customers.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Everybody I have taken here rave about the MacN'Cheese - I like the cheese steak egg roll -- recently had their grilled cheddar, turkey on cranberry nut bread -- awesome.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

At my daughters request, I am taking her to West End Gravy again today for her birthday (almost 40) -- She loves the Mac / Cheese and I love the Cheese-steak Egg Rolls, my wife loves the House Salad. We have never been disappointed.

Reviewed March 12, 2012

I'm writing this review for Blackbird, which shares space and the kitchen with West Side Gravy. Since there is no listing on TA for Blackbird, I guess this would be the appropriate spot for my review.
I made a reservation for four people on a Saturday night at 7:30. I chose this restaurant because the chef/owner Alex Capasso, has recieved some very good reviews over the past several years. We arrived at 7:30 and were promptly seated. Both sides of the restaurant were very crowded. Our server, Jennifer, introduced herself, opened our wine, and said she would be back to take our order.
After a few minutes she came back, explained the specials and took our order. Up until now, everything was fine. We waited a while for bread to be put on the table and for our appetizers, but, since this is not fast food, that is acceptable. We ordered the pan seared foie gras, which was very good; the "Best of Philly" handnmade potato gnocchi, which did not live up to its name; and hand made ravioli which I did not taste because there was only 1 ravioli for $12.
Then the wait began. We waited for about 50 minutes and nothing happened. Our waitress was nowhere to be seen. We did catch a glimpse of her in the sister restaurant, West Side Gravy, on the other side of the room. We finally flagged down a bus boy, and asked him to check on our dinner. Jennifer then came to our table to tell us that there was something going on in the kitchen. She apologized and said our dinner would be out shortly. Finally, after another 15 minutes we got our dinners. By this time it was after 9PM and the restaurant was beginning to empty out. The people that were seated at tables after us were gone.
Our meal was only OK. My husband's pan roasted NY strip was served thinly sliced and a very small portion.
After dinner, our waitress came over and informed us that our coffee was her treat due to the delay. We ordered coffee and creme brulee for dessert. Coffee came immediately. Fifteen minutes later, no dessert, and no sign of our waitress. I went to the hostess and told her to skip dessert and just give us the check. She then came over to the table to apologize and said she took 10% off the final bill for our inconvenience.
When we left at 10:15 there was only one table of patrons left in both restaurants. We had been there for 3hours and 15 minutes, and had 2 courses. Needless to say, we will not be going back to either restaurant.