“Not all that Impressed....let me explain..”

Spruce Run Recreation Area
Ranked #3 of 4 things to do in Clinton
Reviewed August 12, 2013

For starters,,, I've been a tent camper for many, many years and have been to some very wonderful campgrounds all over New Jersey, New York and a few other states. Spruce Run IS a beautiful state park without a doubt and reading all the other reviews, there are some things I agree to and some I do not. The pros: Beautiful scenery around the water shed with an abundance of wild life. We saw deer in some quiet camps, heron , muskrat, and a biggie for me, an American Bald Eagle hanging out at the dam while we were kayaking. No luck fishing though but not my problem with the park. Also, the price is right. This could also be a con as the place was truly packed. According to the reception office there were no alternate sites available to pick from when we got there...so we went with a site in the center of a loop. partly shaded by two trees, this site was actually, like most, open range. No brush or bushes to afford some screening from other sites to give that real "being away from civilization feel". I dealt with it but being in 'the open for all to see" but didn't care for it.
Okay, on to my real beefs! There was a group of young men who played very loud music until 4:30 in the morning. No State Troopers, not even a guy in a golf cart were to be seen and quiet time was listed at 10 PM. Okay.. I understand cutbacks but one guy making the rounds to insure the campgrounds are secure and quiet should be a concern.
I did meet a few really nice people that also were annoyed by these boys and we decided to call the rangers if it continued the next evening but I guess the police activity during the day on Saturday kept them quiet Saturday night, either that or they ran out of whiskey. That said my other problem was cleanliness of the restrooms... Gross! Not clean at all and sorely in need of updating.. paint and cleanser would help.
Getting back to the pros.. The interactions I did have with park staff at the the entrance to the park was awesome.. real nice and friendly kids, very helpful and up beat!
Okay, that's it!! probably will not use the Spruce Run again for camping. might go back for the fishing when it's cooler. Don't get me wrong, this place might be great for large groups of campers who don't care about being in the back woods but not my cup of tea.

3  Thank LOCKr
in 22 reviews
in 10 reviews
in 10 reviews

Reviewed August 5, 2013

We recently came back to fresh water since our home was damaged
on the Jersey Shore after Sandy. We have decided to get back to smaller boating and fresh water.
We did an overnight in Clinton so that we could enjoy the evening on the water.
We have fished and birded recently but decided to stay in a local hotel on 8/2/13.
It was a perfect evening on the water !!!

Reviewed July 13, 2013

It was closed/full when we got there. We had two cars so we pulled over to figure out our next move. A nasty man came and BANGED on my car and told us to move or he would call the police. Really? We were moving shortly, and he did NOT need to do it in the manner he did it, as we were not doing anything but trying to re-plan our day quickly. He did not need to touch my car or speak to us in the manner he spoke.

4  Thank afallentown1
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Family and friends getting together to celebrate our children's graduating for 8th grade a wonderful milestone. Well some went early to get a spot and some came a little later and were turned around cause the park was full. Some cars plled over on the side as to call family so the could come get food from the car since we couldn't get in. The told us to get out the park and tell your family to call when the get up front. I pulled up a little to call and tell them what needed to be done and this man came yelling get out get out get out now or I will cal the police. As. Was pulling out my family called and said they were waiting for me I went back in and the police came and said we had to move. I was one person in the car that missed the celebration of my grands. They let many cars in while I was sitting on the side now I know it had to do with the color of my skin. I guess the park was full to capacity with my kind cause my family saw many parks and they said it wereno more.can I say racist .

6  Thank Lfpallday