“Alas! Nothing Stays the Same!”

Hampton Inn Clinton
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Clinton
New York, NY
“Alas! Nothing Stays the Same!”
Reviewed August 24, 2006

We've been staying here for years - on holidays, when travelling to Philly, etc. I am sorry to say that while the housekeeping remains above average, the inexperienced Front Desk staff can make checking in a bit of a chore. The outside upkeep seems to be suffering a bit as we saw abandoned shopping carts in the parking lot and a mound of dead bugs near the side door which had not been removed. All in all, still a nice place to stay but we sensed things were changing and not for the better....Time, as always, will tell.....

• Liked — Clean rooms and friendly staff
  • Disliked — Inexperienced Front Desk staff
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank Criticaltraveller

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 27, 2005

I spend many nights in hotels, typically Hilton-brand, for business travel and I enjoyed this Hampton Inn.

Room:
I stayed in the King Deluxe Suite (I don't recall what I paid, but I believe it was about $135). The room was the largest hotel room I've seen, about the size of 3 rooms, no exaggeration. I found it strange, however, that with all that space they didn't install a kitchenette, so it was still a standard room. Large, but standard.

Food:
The continental breakfast was good, as far as Hamptons go. Much better was the fact that Cracker Barrel is right outside the front entrance and on the day of my departure I had a huge breakfast for under $10. The shopping center adjacent to the hotel has a Wal Mart, TJ Maxx, pizza shop, and Chinese place. Several affordable options for late night food or purchasing items you left at home. The highlight of my trip was my dinner at Pru Thai, a WONDERFUL Thai restaurant in "downtown" Clinton, a short drive from the hotel.

Service:
Front desk was great. I checked in at 1am after leavning Long Island in a severe thunderstorm and getting lost before arriving in Clinton (Clinton is easy to find, I had trouble getting out of NY). Since there was no fridge in my room, the woman at the front desk let me store my personal snacks in the employee fridge and access them whenever I wanted. I know that's probably against the rules, but it made me feel right at home!

Cleanliness/Safety, etc:
I came in at night several times with no issues. Clinton is a beautiful little rural town and seems that nothing happens there. My room was clean, and I'm picky about cleanliness.

The only thing that would improve this hotel would be to include a microwave and fridge in all guest rooms. Since the hotel is in a rural area it just seems logical that you would accomodate people's desire to have convenient food and drinks.

• Stayed September 2005, traveled on business
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
NYC
Reviewed February 27, 2005

Booked their one-and-only "King Suite" online a week in advance, for a rate of 104/night. When I arrived at the front desk to check-in, the girl informed us that we couldn't have the room for that rate. The actual rate was 170 per night, and the reason I was able to book it for 104 per night was due to a mistake with the "Hilton computer". One can't help but appreciate the irony of a place that uses bait-and-switch tactics on its customers while printing folksy little slogans such as "hometown comfort" on its doors, floormats and outsdoor signs. What's more, upon looking over this hotel's website on our return home, the one-and-only King Suite was again available for the following weekend, at the very same rate we had originally booked, 104 per night!!! I can just imagine someone booking this room and a computer in the manager's office screeching out, "Hook, line and sinker, we got another one!"

Since I wouldn't shell out the additional 65 dollars per night, I was given a standard deluxe room, the only room available for the rate I had booked. Welcome home! Nothing says "home" better than being fleeced for every penny you can spare upon walking through the front door. Oh yeah, and the place doesn't have a single, lousy computer for customer use. Possibly the only Hilton hotel to hold that dubious honor. We left after the first night and spent the remainder of the weekend at another hotel. Deluxe room was very spacious and well-kept. Housekeeping is great here. Very friendly, very efficient. Too bad they don't run the place.

Currently awaiting word on my "100% refund". A subpar room, snippy help, below-average quality....I'd give the place a second chance. But deceit by management? No thanks. I refuse to come back. Sketchy business does not deserve a second chance in my book.

6 Thank Menri11433
Atlanta
Reviewed August 31, 2004

Having left New York after sundown, I was planning to make it to Pennsylvania but just got too tired. The lady at the desk was so welcoming and understanding. It wasn't just the cookie and coffee and the bright, obviously new building, and the clean first floor room, with chocolate on the pillow, comfortable bed, etc. etc. The breakfast (never mind continental) was great. It was more than I planned to pay ($100) but after paying the same for the vile New York accomodation I was fleeing I felt very satisfied.

• Stayed September 2004
1 Thank hailahh
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 8, 2003

Overall the Hampton Inn was clean and efficient but the breakfast was fantabulous! I found myself in Clinton during a recent family move. We were welcomed -- even on our very late arrival -- with a smile and a tray of warm cookies. After a swift and hassle-free check-in we were directed to our room, which we found to be clean, comfortable, and quiet. In fact, the whole inn was clean, bright and modern. If the weather was nicer we might have dipped in the pool. As for the breakfast, if you're a novice like me, you'll be thrilled with the full spread of cereals, bagels, toast, donuts/muffins, yogurt, fruit and all the microwaveable ingredients to replicate your fast-food breakfast sandwich of choice. Of course, fresh coffee and juices are abundant.Clinton, the town, was as cute as ever but this Hampton Inn is in a newer development with a WalMart, Cracker Barrel, other shopping. I've had family in the area for years and can say that it's a nice small town to visit plus this area makes a nice stopping over or refueling zone.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Clinton
Holiday Inn Clinton - Bridgewater
HYATT house Branchburg
#1 of 5 in Branchburg
Homewood Suites by Hilton Bridgewater / Branchburg
Residence Inn Bridgewater Branchburg

Been to Hampton Inn Clinton? Share your experiences!