“A "Diner" par excellence!”

Clinton Station Diner
Ranked #5 of 60 Restaurants in Clinton
Cuisines: American, Diner
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed April 10, 2014

This is a must-stop break from the highway hussle-bussle of I-78 in New Jersey between PA and New York. Plan on stopping here (just off exit 13) for a breakfast, lunch or dinner. You will not be disappointed. Let the traffic pass! It is open 24 hours a day and oh so welcoming. The dark cherry paneled walls, the wood-slat blinds, the handsome booths and tables...with a bouquet of fresh flowers on each! There is a large dining room with a stone fireplace, another area with booths and small tables, a counter area, a bar (yes, they do serve alcohol), and a pastry case that must be 20 feet long, full of spectacular pies, cakes, cookies and pastries. They bake all on premises, including fresh breads daily. We were there at 7 AM for breakfast before a 10 hour drive to North Carolina. Our coffees came with an additional carafe, the OJ was freshly squeezed, the Greek omelette was flavorful with its Kalamata olives and feta. Corned beef hash, hash browns, scrambled eggs, a basket of toast. All wonderful! The ambiance, cleanliness and pleasant welcoming service make this a perfect stop to alleviate highway angst.

1  Thank BijouMarielle

Reviewed April 9, 2014

Saturday night April 5th 2014 at about 7 PM. Arrived with a date who had a good experience
a while previously and brought me. I ordered the Pot Roast. How could I go wrong ? Soon
found out how. My "Pot Roast" was a series of undercooked beef slabs that not only couldn't be cut with my fork but not even easily with my knife. Of course no silverware where we were seated so had to ask so I could realize the knife wasn't even possible. Side of broccoli not even
blanched. too hard to eat. Peas side dish was not much better. Date's fried shrimp was edible
but she agreed was far short of prior experiences. Hope that this is a wake-up call to clean house
in the kitchen and start over.

1  Thank James K
Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

I do use the diner regularly but mainly when everything else is shut. So I can't fault it there. Just don't expect much from the food. After all its a diner on the highway. Beats stopping at a rest stop though. Worth giving it a try. Just stick to the diner basics.

Reviewed February 18, 2014

For several years now I have seen the Diner from the highway on trips from Pennsylvania to New England and always wanted to stop. I finally did that on my way home from a weekend in NYC this past weekend and it did not disappoint. The menu is extremely varied - something for everyone - without being too overwhelming. The place is clean and cheery and the food was very good and reasonably priced. Will definitely keep it on my list of places to stop on my next trip!

1  Thank ntwHarrisburg
Reviewed January 29, 2014

We noticed this diner as we headed for the little town of Clinton, NJ to see the Red Mill and stopped there on our way back. It was easy to get to from the highway - was seated quickly, but found the room to be quite noisy. We had breakfast and it was very good, although my companion said the hash browns were a bit dry. They served my tea with a caraffe of hot water and an extra tea bag, which doesn't get done much any more - thank you! The servings were good portions and I ended taking about half of breakfast home. We were glad that we finished and were leaving as two children's birthday parties were coming in to tables near us.