“Food is good -service is lacking”

Clinton Station Diner
Ranked #5 of 60 Restaurants in Clinton
Cuisines: American, Diner
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We were on our way to NYC from Charlotte NC, so I was prepared for the culture shock, however when I read on the internet what the Clinton Diner was I really thought it would be a place my husband would enjoy (btw, there are many billboards, that was how I found it!). I had read online we could PICK where we wanted to sit, and it boasts about the room with the model train in it and the area that is actually an old train car. We walk in and were led to our table in a room with just a few train pictures on the wall. Oh and the host was about 8 steps in front of us and just put the menus on the table and walked away, didn't even wait for us to get to the table asking if it was OK like all the other places I have been to where a host seats you.
We ordered drinks, me thinking we are above the Mason Dixon line thought no sweet tea is good tea up here. My husband didn't think about this went to order "sweet tea" and we were informed they had "raspberry tea" which means Lipton from a soda fountain. No thanks, so we got Pepsi (NO COKE) which came in what is possibly the smallest soda glass I've ever been served that wasn't child sized (it was at the most 12 oz).
It says good food at Diner prices which translated means burgers and sandwiches are reasonably priced the dinners on the other hand are $15+ each. The bread we were served was warm and tasty. My husband ordered a burger and OMG it was a half pound burger! I ordered a chicken sandwich which had two pieces of chicken, 3 slices of tomato and some lettuce. It was pretty good other than the sandwich was falling apart from the items being stacked on it but I managed.
The waiter came and refilled our small cups one time, which was fine with me because I didn't even drink my Pepsi (I'm not used to drinking soda and totally regret ordering it for $2 each!). We didn't get dessert which really looked good with so many things to pick from, in hind sight I should have just ordered dessert but the dairy free options like like very few if any.
Food was good and what we got was priced well but the service could definitely use an adjustment.

Reviewed September 13, 2013

Clean , easy to get to and decent prices make this a good place to stop. Don't want to stop too close to NYC or Newark ? This is the place. It is still out in the country far enough you aren't risking life , limb or property to stop here. Exit 13 on I-78 about 13 miles into NJ from PA.

Good menu choices , excellent service and a nice atmosphere.

While this is a family restaurant it does have a small bar area when you first walk in.

They also have a nice assortment of baked goods to take with you.

Lots of parking and open 24/7.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

Fabulous place for a fun dinner. You can even dine in a restored railroad car. There is an extensive menu going from all day breakfasts up to steak and seafood entrees. The early-bird dinner specials before 6PM are an absolute steal. Our waitress was very attentive and explained the menu in depth. Mixed drinks, wine and beer are available and the bakery counter is amazing...they do their own baking on premises.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

We were zipping down the highway trying to stay alive in the mad New Jersey traffic and decided it was time to stop and have lunch. A diner sounded just like the right thing. It was far more than we expected. The only "diner" aspect of this oasis of a restaurant is the menu - classic diner offerings with a myriad of choices. However, the big surprise is the restaurant itself - not exactly a diner but a very nice restaurant with almost a men's club steak house atmosphere. The place is huge and bustling with extensive local traffic. We would be regulars too if we lived in this area. I chose the stuffed pepper - the Monday special, and my wife had the broiled scrod - hard to find these days even in New England. Half way through our meal we just looked at each other in disbelief. We were experiencing something pretty close to fine dining in this so-called diner. We didn't have room for dessert, but I want to say that the dessert case was filled with an incredible array of temptations - including some yummy-looking strudel. If you are anywhere close to CSD, come on in and be prepared to be mega-surprised.

1  Thank DocSkier
Reviewed August 28, 2013

for our health! This place was awful! The food was either cold or terribly under cooked. Our waitress was inattentive (to say the least). I agree with the other reviewers when it came to the fries. Not sure what's going on there. They were burnt,cold,and uncooked on the inside. We had a chicken that was still bleeding,a burger that was so under cooked and when I brought it to the waitress' attention she told me it was medium rare. You know when you buy ground beef and there are those bits of light pink that look like a bit of connective tissue...well that was present in my burger...