La Quinta Inn & Suites Clifton / Rutherford
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Clifton
Reviewed October 29, 2008

I would not recommend this hotel. On arrival (which is not easy even with their directions) the receptionist was surly and unsmiling. The non-smoking king bed room I had booked was not available and I was allocated a non-smoking double, which stank of smoke. The wireless internet signal was too weak to connect, and when I queried this I was told that only the smoking rooms have wireless access. So I asked to see a smoking room, thinking it couldn´t be much worse than where I was, but sure enough although the internet access was better it really did smell bad. The rooms themselves are reasonably sized and equiped, although my phone didn´t work properly and the furniture was bashed and seemed old. The corridors were littered with rubbish, including the end of a razor, even just after the cleaner had been, and everywhere there was an unpleasant smell. The swimming pool itself was OK, but no showering or changing facilities in the proximity. Breakfast consisted of stale bagels, cheap cereal, or hard boiled eggs. The most worrying thing though was the lack of security - people seemed to be coming and going through side fire escapes all the time, and both me and my colleague had people banging on our doors in the night. This may be because about half of the hotel is used a student dorms, and posters for student parties adorn the corridor walls. All in all, an unpleasant stay.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Reviewed October 1, 2008

A cheaper alternative to staying in Manhattan particularly as the UN was in session, driving NYC prices into the stratosphere. For those who expect a 5* hotel, don't stay here -- it is still pretty basic lodging. However, the hotel has been completely renovated over the last year. The room and bathroom were very clean. The king sized bed was new and comfortable. There was a fridge and microwave and coffee maker in the room. Breakfasts were adequate and included-- cereal, fruit, muffins, bagels, make your own waffles, hard boiled eggs, coffee and tea. Parking is free and relatively secure. The hotel is 1/2 a block away from a decent shopping plaza with a Target store, supermarket, 3 restaurants (mexican, italian-american, and an Applebee's), a large AMC theatre and various smaller stores. Clifton is close to the Seacaucus outlet stores as well. The bus to Manhattan (#192) is very handy (a 5 minute walk from the hotel) and goes through the Lincoln Tunnel to the Port Authority Bus Terminal on 42nd street in less than a 1/2 hour even in rush hour. Check the schedule if you are staying late in Manhattan as the bus stops early on weeknights and you have to take the train. Area is pretty safe with lots of young families with kids so walking at night is not a problem. Front desk staff was corteous and helpful. For some reason GPS's can't find the hotel. Enter the address of the business directly behind the hotel--77 River Street-- to locate the hotel!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 12, 2008

Had a two bed queen room. Room and bathrooms were very clean. They had continental breakfast which was pretty good. Definitely a bargain, I was expecting a disaster from how inexpensive it was but I got teh complete opposite!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed June 25, 2008

I needed to be in the Clifton area to attend a family wedding in a nearby town. There aren't many choices and I selected La Quinta with misgivings because, quite frankly, I don't have a good image of the La Quinta brand. I was pleasantly surprised for the following reasons:

The hotel seems to have been newly renovated and my room was relatively large, new and amply furnished, refrigerator, in-room safe, adequate lighting for reading, an easy chair with a standing lamp next to it for reading, good desk for my laptop and other things, microwave, and very comfortable. Immaculate bathroom with adequate amenities.

Free Internet access in the room.

Surprisingly varied breakfast, much more than just coffee and toast.

Friendly and helpful staff. A morning check-in request was immediately honored, as was a late check-out request. Several inquiries at the desk were competently handled with smiles.

Yes, as several reviewers have mentioned, the hotel is not easy to find and I had difficulty in getting my GPS to recognize the address, but I did get there using Mapquest and telephone instructions from the front desk.

Two negatives, but not biggies: (1) the breakfast room itself (as opposed to the very good breakfast food) is like a school cafeteria and has two TVs going full-time. I like to read the newspaper during breakfast, but couldn't because of the noise, so I put on my noise suppressing earphones and listened to my iPod instead; and (2) during my six-day visit, La Quinta played host to numerous bus tours, including several groups of high school students. Although I have no complaints about their behavior, their presence did lead to a very crowded breakfast room, for which the staff was inadequate to keep the tables clean, and more noise in the halls than I would have liked.

Yes, I would stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Bangkokexpat
Reviewed June 11, 2008

The rooms? Beautiful. Pretty Spacious for a hotel room. I have stayed at nicer hotels, but had tinier rooms, so it was a nice treat.

Service was awful. I had directions to get there, but for some reason couldnt find the place! The road signs were very misleading. I called once to try to get help, and got put on hold for 15 minutes! So I called back and the guy said "Oh sorry. Can you hold?" for another 10 minutes. After waiting nearly half an hour to get directions, I asked the guy if early check in was available. He said yes, and proceeded to give me WRONG directions. It wasnt until a gas station attendant saved us that we were finally on track.

When we got there, it was about 2pm. Check in was 3pm. He told us to wait ensuring us our room was almost ready. We waited until 3pm, and finally I said, well NOW it is the check in time can we get our room yet? And MAGICALLY there were rooms. Thanks for lying to us! Early check in is NOT available even if they tell you it is. They will just make you sit and wait until check in time. Just tell me it isnt available, and that would have been fine!

The front desk overall seemed not friendly, and were not helpful. They all looked miserable! Every person looks at the guests like they are a burden.

Other than that, once getting in the room, the stay was great. The housekeeping team does and FABULOUS job making the rooms spotless and seamless.

This is nick picking, but I thought the lobby could have used some music. It was so quiet you could hear a pin drop!

Its also nice they have a Red Robin attached to them.

Stay here for the rate and the rooms, but expect terrible service.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lizshep
Reviewed June 8, 2008

The best thing about the hotel is the staff. Very friendly and eager to please. The shuttle driver was wonderful!

Booked a King Suite, roomy and clean though basic-$139.00 per night with mini-fridge and microwave. Breakfast buffet was okay, not hearty fare but decent. Comfy bed, clean sheets, plenty of pillows.

Three issues: The TERRIBLE smell in the halls (first floor), smelled like pet urine. Shower could not be regulated went from hot to cold by itself. No lock on first floor window-maintenence responded quickly but solution was to put a steel bar in the window (though perm repair was made next day).

Not a bad stay, basic, no frills. May stay there again if rate was right.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank Vickie_M
Reviewed May 6, 2008

My daugher had a concert at the BamBoozle music fest at the Meadowlands and we were very happy with the accomodations it was so close to everything... and thank you to Jose the front desk employee he was so so so very helpful on directing us for a day in NYC and a great asset to your hotel... he always answered your questions with a smile!!! thanks Jose!!

Stayed: May 2008
1  Thank ebleonard
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clifton
Homewood Suites by Hilton East Rutherford-Meadowlands
Home2 Suites by Hilton Hasbrouck Heights
Home2 Suites by Hilton Hasbrouck...
#1 of 3 in Hasbrouck Heights
2 mi away
Courtyard Lyndhurst Meadowlands
Hampton Inn Carlstadt-At The Meadowlands
Fairfield Inn East Rutherford Meadowlands
Hampton Inn & Suites Newark-Harrison-Riverwalk

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Clifton / Rutherford? Share your experiences!