“Room cleanliness” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Clifton
Iowa City, Iowa
“Room cleanliness”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

Hotel rooms were not clean. Breakfast yogurt was not iced down correctly. Breakfast area was messy--staff were not cleaning up as guests went. Peeling paint on doors and ceiling, top was coming off of end table

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Turkish first
King William, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013

I met a friend here for a two night stay to go to the Jets game. Now granted, the hotel is a little worn, but beyond that we had no complaints. It is clean; the staff - everyone: front desk, housekeeping, breakfast room - are helpful and friendly. The bathroom did have a slight bleach smell but that was fine, at least they're cleaning it! The breakfast was typical but ample - coffee, juice, bagels, muffins, toast, eggs, waffles, yogurt - enough quantity and choice to get your day started. For the price and the time we spent here we had absolutely nothing to complain about. Conveniently located near the Meadowlands. I would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank empressellen
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

We had a two-night reservation for six rooms at a conference rate. The day before we checked in, I called the hotel to confirm my reservation. First call I made I was put on hold then disconnected. Second call I made I was given to a female who did not seem to know how to look up a reservation. One fundamental problem was that I was given one set of confirmation numbers on the day I made the reservations...weeks earlier. On the day before check-in I rec'd reminder emails with an entire different series of confirmation numbers. I provided both series to the clerk and she assured me that I had six rooms. I asked if it was possible to put three of the six rooms in a quiet area of the hotel. She said no problem.

Upon attempting to check in, I was told that we had only three rooms. Even after I presented the six confirmation emails and numbers, I was still told that we only had three rooms. After asking to have the booking manager/agent check twice, it was finally discovered that, our three additional rooms were reserved, but not on conference block simply because a day earlier I asked for three of the rooms to be in a quiet area of the hotel. Finally, I was provided with six sets of rooms keys, of which one of them did not work. I went back to front desk to ask for key to be activated and was the clerk who checked me in previously insisted that the key was working. After going back to all rooms, the keys still did not work. I returned to front desk and saw a different person who told me that I was not checked into the hotel. This was now turning into absurdity. This was after spending approximately 45 minutes to an hour at the front desk. He finally discovered that the first clerk had not officially checked us in on the computers on the first attempt to access our rooms. Upon entering my room, I discovered a smoke odor even though we were informed this was a non-smoking floor. When I went to front desk to ask for a cleaner smelling room I was told that there were no other rooms to switch too. As it turns out, the entire floor smelled of smoke. All in all the entire check in process took almost an hour and a half.

Upon returning to hotel that evening and returning to room (around 11pm) a man was screaming on the top of his lungs, arguing with himself in the room next door to my female colleague. It was loud enough to be heard throughout the corridor. The female was terrified so I walked her down to the front desk to find hotel security. When I went to the front desk to complain and suggested that the load guest be warned or removed, I received an attitude and was made to feel like the incident was inconsequential. When I explained that my colleague and I did not feel safe, I was not taken seriously until I finally convinced the security guard to go take a listen himself. When he returned, he himself was visibly shaken and said he told the guest to quiet down or be thrown out. (It also came out that the person I was complaining about was essentially living in the hotel. I suspect they were already aware of his behavioral issues).

We were also informed that there was a dog show going on and many of the guests had pets in their room. The problem here was that several of the people in our party ended up with dog feces on their shoes when walking to the car the next day.

On top of these issues, we experienced we saw shabby pulled up rugs in the corridor and elevator making a trip hazard. Worn carpet and furniture in room and Minimum of toiletries and towels to accommodate two people in one room. No hot water in showers the next day.

In one of the rooms upon waking up, we discovered the septic system was backed up and there were feces in the bathroom toilet.
We checked out of our hotel one day early and went down the road to a local Holiday Inn. I was not surprised to see the front desk clerk hanging with hotel security in the parking lot smoking cigarettes when we drove away.

I travel often and am a member of several hotel programs. I have never experienced such horrible conditions. I will never recommend this chain to anyone.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank shar992

Travelers are raving about these Clifton hotels

Conway, Arkansas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

We stayed in room 273, a non-smoking, 2 queen bed room. It smelled of wet dog. We asked to change rooms, but the only other option was a smoking room, so we opted for the lesser of two evils.

The housekeeping staff was very kind and completely changed out the linens and towels for us twice, but the smell persisted. I'm convinced it was embedded in the carpet and curtains.

Another review mentions the carpet in the hallway. It definitely needs to be replaced, and the entire hotel could stand a good renovation.

On the good side, the staff was extremely courteous and helpful, and the breakfast room was very well stocked and clean.

It is also less than 1/2 mile to the bus stop which heads to the NY Port Authority ($11 round trip as of this date).

Room Tip: Done stay here unless you have a pet and are already used to the smell. We overheard another couple...