“Great location, above and beyond staff & excellent value!”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Clifton / Rutherford
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Clifton
Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for a week and was made to feel welcome even before I arrived when calling with questions. The staff was friendly and accomodatimg. No matter what I needed, they were there for me no questions asked. The breakfast was nice, the rooms were spacious, clean and comfortable. I loved the location, too. A very nice, clean and SAFE area with several businesses and restaurants within walking distance to make the stay even more convenient and pleasant. If you forget anything, there's a Target right behind the hotel! For food, there is a Red Robin attached, an Applebee's within walking distance not to mention a number of other places as well. I can't find one negative about this hotel. The price was right and I'd stay here again. I did things on both the New Jersey and New York side and felt this hotel was the best place for me!

• Stayed: April 2013

Reviewed April 3, 2013

Stayed here the night before Easter. We had a reservation but we could not find a parking space because the parking lot was filled with buses. After making our own parking space at the end of a row of cars we checked in. When we walked in I smelled a strange odor in the hotel. I also noticed the carpets are really stained and dirty. We got to our room and after a while I realized hey put us above the side entrance. We could heard everyone going in and out all night long. At about 1:00 am the fire alarm started going off, we woke up checked to see if there was a fire and called the front desk. We were told that someone went out a wrong door in the restaurant and that we had to wait for the fire dept. This alarm stayed on for 20 minutes, went off, then started up again. Went off again. This happened all night. We never slept. Also when we booked the hotel we were told there was breakfast included. There was never any breakfast. DO NOT STAY HERE........HORRIBLE UNCARING, DIRTY PLACE.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

Where do I start? Upon arrival, we had a great conversation with Jermaine who asked us if we wanted a smoking or non-smoking room. We asked for non-smoking. He also gave us towels to use the pool and extra towels because we were a family of four & he wanted us to be comfortable. We noticed that the hotel was newly renovated becasue we could see a new coat of paint on older moldings. Only one elevator was working & we had a bumpy ride to the fourth floor. The elevator is not for the faint of heart. You could see scratches on the door where it seemed to be rubbing against something inside the elevator. We could tell the elevator was working by the sudden drop when it started. We knew we were arriving on our floor because the door opened about a foot away from the height of the floor (I kid you not). The fourth floor is apparently the smoking floor. If the choking odor that seemed to come from the orange carpet didn't tip us off, the two ash trays in our room did. I called Jermaine who graciously gave us another room on the third floor without hesitation. This one was better & the stench stayed upstairs. Please keep in mind that our visit was AFTER the renovation. We decided not to go to the pool & to put the towels on the carpet instead so we could take our shoes off in the room. The hotel was a reno from a previous hotel. My guess is that it was a Holiday Inn. The toilet was clean, but was installed before 1990. The vanity is where I believe old Corian goes to die. It was clean, but worn & broken in a few places. The door to the bathroom was clean, but had water damage on the bottom that was painted over. We checked the photos on the internet again. They were the correct photos, but what you didn't see was the popcorn ceiling which was peeling & looked like the open doors of an Advent calendar is some places. We couldn't see out of the window because the outside wasn't cleaned for quite some time. The tub had a new liner which was worn, but clean. My shower was the amusement park ride I didn't pay extra for. The shower controls wiggled when you touched them. The tub liner squished like there was water between the liner & the original tub & my feet had an extra soak because the drain was clogged. I saved the good news for last. The beds were comfortable. We had a nice sleep & Jermaine was a charm. I did hear him say that the hotel was booked & he helped a walk-in customer to find another hotel. If the hotel was booked, we might have been in the bottom-of-the barrel rooms that have not yet been renovated. If you choose to stay here, ask for a new room when you book your stay.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

Stayed one night with a group of students.
This hotel need serious improvements. Smells funny everywhere, the carpets probably!!
Rooms are nice in size, but big renovations. They all have doors that communicate with the room next door, not ideal for a school trip! Not ideal for anyone when the neighbors are loud or sick (coughing all night).
The only good things I could say about this hotel is that the staff is nice, and the proximity to Lincoln Tunnel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 30, 2013

I've used this hotel twice for my visits to New Jersey, and I will continue to use it! It's easy to get to (now that the construction is over) it's literally minutes away from the tunnels to get to NYC, which is exactly why I stay here, and it's generally a nice place to stay. The only issue I had was when we came back from NYC, our keycard didn't work and when I told them about it, the guy (who was on his cell phone every single time I saw him...) asked our room number and redid our keys. However, no ID was asked for, no names, NOTHING. I found that to be very sketchy, and would definitely recommend they take a better security approach, because anyone could have said they were from my room number and stolen everything I had. Otherwise, very great hotel! Pool and hot tub were fabulous, typical breakfast, friendly staff. You will have a lot of noise from the highway, but it wasn't enough to keep me awake.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
A TripAdvisor Member
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Reviewed March 25, 2013

The staff was very friendly and made sure we understood the bus system in and out of NYC. They even called us after check in tomake sure the room was up to our standards. Hotel is next to a target which was nice for items you may forget. The bus takes you straight into NYC for a very reasonable price. Every stay I have to NYC will be at this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
A La Quinta traveler
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clifton
Homewood Suites by Hilton East Rutherford-Meadowlands
Courtyard Lyndhurst Meadowlands
Residence Inn West Orange
Residence Inn West Orange
#2 of 4 in West Orange

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Clifton / Rutherford? Share your experiences!