“A good place to stay if aren't gonna spend much time in the hotel”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Clifton / Rutherford
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Clifton
Reviewed April 30, 2012

I stayed at La Quinta, Clifton, NJ during September 2011. This is a good place to stay if you are visiting NYC and you do not want to spend a lot on the stay. The hotel seems to be old but the rooms are comfortable. Transportation to and from NYC is not an issue and the train station is not too far away, although traveling to NYC does take a good bit of time. The hotel seems to be located in a safe neighborhood, especially when compared to a lot of the other hotels in New Jersey. If you are going to spend most of your time outside, then this hotel is a good option.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Swagat_Aacharya
There are newer reviews for La Quinta Inn & Suites Clifton / Rutherford

A TripAdvisor Member
Nutley
Reviewed April 16, 2012

My Daughter & Son in Law were going to spend a weekend away & I had the opportunity to bring my Grandchildren on an 'Adventure' to the local LaQuinta.
We were upgraded and had plenty of room for the three of us and with a Microwave and Refrigerator, I was able to bring their favorite snacks for our 'Slumber Party' that night. We started the day on Saturday with our very own 'Pool Party' then went to the attached Restaurant, the Red Robin for dinner. They had a kids menu and we were all happy with the service and the food as well.
Sunday morning we had a very nice breakfast with Belgian Waffles, Cereal, Eggs, Yogurt and Juice. The Grandchildren each took a piece of fresh fruit and off we went to have yet another 2 hours of 'Pool Party' before we left to resume our everyday lives.
Many thanks to Jose Earl at the Front Desk for being there for our every need. He was most helpful and very cheerful every time we had an encounter with him. He's mostly the reason I made the reservation in the first place. He treated us as if we were the only guests he had to respond to. Congratulations for finding such a good employee.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 9, 2012

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Laura B
Reviewed April 9, 2012

I stayed here with a group of 75 on a high school trip. The first night, the elevators weren't working and most of our group had NO hot water (after a 10 hour bus ride). We complained and told it would be fixed the next day, but the water situation is horrid. It goes from hot to cold for no reason. The overall feel of the hotel is old and worn.
The employees were very friendly and breakfast was ok. The owners really need to do some updates, cleaning, painting and FIX the hot water.
If I had not been with a group (prepaid tour), I would have left after the first night.
My advice....keep driving !

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank SouthernTraveler117
Reviewed April 2, 2012

For all looking for a reasonably priced hotel DO NOT STAY HERE. After my stay at La Quinta, I found a hotel the following week in Fairfield, NJ about 10 miles (15 min) west of Clifton, Best Western - Execitive Inn, which offers several discounts that will be a few dollars more than La Quinta and is clean and worth every dollar with the service and extra amenities provided. I travel for business frequently, and this is the worst hotel stay I have ever had. The hotel entrance gives off a cold feeling when you enter along with the midlew odor. After checking in I proceeded to my room where I experienced the disgusting elevator on the way and dark dingy hallways that didn't feel safe. My room was somewhat clean but the smell in the overall hotel was just bad. After I stuck it out the first 2 nights, my 3rd night was the breaking point, when I went to use the sink and shower and got brown water which finally became clear after 15 minutes but smelled like metal. In addition, the water was ice cold and never got hot. I called down to the lobby, where the hotel clerk finally answered the phone after 10 rings and basically told me in a short discussion to let the water run as the water was turned off due to construction and not to worry about the brown water as this was due to the "rust in the pipes". After an hour of letting the water run and taking the time to clean the tub with soap I never got hot water. Again I called but was told someone would check it the next day. I have never felt so unconfortable and disgusted by my surroundings. I probably would have been better off staying at a motel on the side of the highway. BEWARE of LA QUINTA Clifton NJ..to boot when i requested a credit on my bill for the evening in which I had brown cold water, I was asked what I thought would be an appropriate credit...what hotel clerk asks that!! No apology, no offer of a credit amount...not sure what type of business this hotel chain is running but the accomodations and service provided is horrible.

Room Tip: Sleeping on the highway next to La Quinta is probably your best bet if you choose to stay here!!!!
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank diamondii
Reviewed April 1, 2012

I have stayed at dozens of LaQuinta hotels around the country and this one is the worst. It was dirty, old, unkept, noisy, just plain horrible.
At over a hundred bucks a night I expected ALOT better, I have stayed at nicer LaQuinta hotels for half that much.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Jon S
Reviewed March 18, 2012

This hotel is well located, but is not well serviced. The shower had alternating cool to cold water, the coffee maker in the room had no pot, the sink stopper was broken. We were automatically credited for $15.00 when we complained about the hot water; however, we would have rather had hot water.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank umberto7
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clifton
Homewood Suites by Hilton East Rutherford-Meadowlands
The Wilshire Grand Hotel
The Wilshire Grand Hotel
#2 of 4 in West Orange
Hampton Inn Carlstadt-At The Meadowlands
Courtyard Lyndhurst Meadowlands
Fairfield Inn East Rutherford Meadowlands
Holiday Inn Express Meadowlands

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Clifton / Rutherford? Share your experiences!