“Would definately avoid if possible.”

Howard Johnson Inn Clifton NJ
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Clifton
Reviewed April 23, 2009

The place was extremely unsanitary. Went to New York for a school band trip and stayed at this hotel. The whole place was a mess! As we entered the hotel, we immediately noticed a horrible stench - possibly from cigarette smoke. As my group proceeded to our room, the rooms appeared to be decent at first glance, but as we looked more thoroughly, we noticed many problems. There seemed to be holes that were patched up. The ac/heater smelled like cigarette smoke. The snower nozzle seemed to be glued on - it would almost fall apart everytime we turned on the shower. The sheets were incredibly thin and the entire room was extremely unsanitary. Moreover, the view from our window was a magnificent, incredible view of.... a BRICK WALL. The entire place seemed extremely sketchy. The pool was empty and filled with algae so we could not use it. Furthermore, there were doors going into the hotel that weren't guarded so ANYONE could have walked in, which greatly disturbed us. Also, when one person from our group left his laptop bag alone in the front hall for one minute, it disappeared with staff watching it - along with his cell phone, iPod, and PSP. Possible theft? Would not reccomend this for anyone. If possible, avoid it! Better to pay extra for a real hotel.

• Stayed: March 2009

Reviewed April 21, 2009

I needed a hotel for a few nights for my daughter (2 yrs)and myself. I booked 2 nights and did not leave after I checked in because it was raining and late. the entire carpeting is due to be replaced, the smell was horrible, all the doors to the outside were unlocked, anyone could walk in. I had to change rooms because the bed had hairs and the sheets were dirty, no one was available to change the sheets. There was no wi fi. In the bathroom the hair dryer fell apart when i picked it up and the plug was spit (major fire hazard). I could go on and on. I think people's lives should not be taken so lightly, i seriously though I could catch something there. I should have gotten paid to stay there, needless to say I checked out the next morning. Authorities should take a more active role and get involved. This hojo should NOT be open to the public.

• Stayed: April 2009
Reviewed September 18, 2008

Extremely clean comfortable room. The front desk and house keepers very efficient. The restaurant food very nice and the staff was good.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed July 15, 2008

Hi:
I stay at the hotel for 8 days because I purshase a package deal but when I see the room I want to get out of there... but I dont have other choice to stay there. The hotel was dirty, no internet access as advise, no room service past 2:00pm, the pool isnt open, just one pc for all the guests, the cleaning service is terrible and the smoke odor is on all rooms and halls.
If you want a confortable place, dont go to the Howard Jonhson, try to find another place more cheap and clean.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed July 10, 2008

This hotel is dirty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I stayed one night and I checked out of the hotel, I was suppose to stay 5 nights. The bed was horrible it felt like I slept on a wood floor, the towels felt like I was drying off with sand paper. The pictures they show on the website do not show the truth!

Traveler from Houston, TX

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Kenya35
Reviewed July 8, 2008

We walked in to this hotel because we were bumped off during our stay in New Jersey. This hotel was recommended by a Continental airline staff I guess due to the fact that they provide airport shuttle service.
I stayed in with my mom and aunt and the front desk is too small, we had to wait for the front officer to check us in.
Once weve checked in, the hotel room smelled like someone just smoked in there. There were holes in the curtains and sheets, molds in the bathroom and the carpet was dirty.
There was a free breakfast being served in a dark restaurant which I think was being used as a night club because you can smell beer while eating your bacons!
Anways, just stay if you really need to get up early to catch your flight, but if youre going to stay here because its your first time in NJ or want to travel around, just stay away from here.

• Stayed: August 2004, traveled with family
Reviewed May 20, 2008

The Hotel was extremely dirty and stayed that way throughout our visit. We never seen our "housekeeper" with a vacuum. Though the manager tried to make things right, his staff appears to work against him. The majority of our tour group was bitten by bedbugs. Such a sad thing for a hotel with a good name.

• Stayed: May 2008
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clifton
1 mi away
Red Roof PLUS+ Secaucus/Meadowlands
Holiday Inn Totowa
Holiday Inn Totowa
#1 of 1 in Totowa

Been to Howard Johnson Inn Clifton NJ? Share your experiences!