Howard Johnson Inn Clifton NJ
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Clifton
Reviewed January 3, 2014

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Farahnaz G
romi G, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Clifton NJ, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Reviewed December 28, 2013

Never again am I staying in this dump of a hotel and I will make sure to tell all of my friends too. Went for a weekend to watch a football game and to say I was disgusted was an understatement. Mold in the bathroom. Wifi was a joke no matter where you were in the hotel. Room wasn't cleaned. Water was brown. The sliding doors had such a big gap on them that I can fit my hand through it. I can't believe head office has let this place get to the shape that it's in. All the locking mechanisms outside were broken so anybody could've walked into the hotel and have a field day breaking into the rooms!

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel
Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Joe P
romi G, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Clifton NJ, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2013

Hello Joe P,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are really apologizing for any inconvenience that you had during your stay at our hotel.

We have taken your comments very seriously, and have had our maintenance staff pay closer attention to this particular situation to fix it. Also, we have completely removed the mold from the bathroom. We apologize for the lack of internet connectivity, since we understand the importance of Wi-Fi in today’s days. We have invested heavily in a reputable internet service provider, and connection errors rarely occur. Perhaps, the web traffic was at its peak during the times you were looking to connect. We will continue to make sure we are able to provide good internet services for your next stay with us.

We do apologize for an unclean guest room, since it is not in our policy to leave guest rooms unclean and unfinished. Although many times as a manager and hotel team we are unable to notice these issues where our valuable guests are able to help us. We will pay closer attention to all of these items and continuously strive for improvement.

Please excuse us at this time as we are doing our best everyday to improve our service and standard of the hotel. We hope to see you again at our hotel soon. We appreciate your comments. Thank you

Reviewed December 24, 2013

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson
1  Thank Shirley L
romi G, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Clifton NJ, responded to this reviewResponded December 25, 2013

Reviewed December 7, 2013

Stayed one night over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend. The room was fine, but in the morning my daughter could not find her phone charger and when she looked she discovered a roach on the floor. I would give it a "3" except for that. Wish I could give it a 2 3/4. Everything worked. The bathroom was clean. In fact the room was clean, except for the roach. A good point was that there is an IHOP attached, so a really good breakfast was available. The downside of that is there was no continental breakfast provided by the hotel.

Room Tip: As for one with a balcony.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Nike C
romi G, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Clifton NJ, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2013

Dear Nike C,

Thank you for writing a review in relation to your most recent stay at our hotel. I apologize very much for the incident in your guest room because finding such mistake is not in our style of hospitality. As a matter of fact I have inspected every room and diagnosed them as well, so there will not be a problem as there was this time during your stay.

On the other hand I appreciate all the kind words you shared in regards to your recent stay and hope that you will be able to provide us with a second chance at redeeming ourselves. Thank you again for writing this critical review so we can better our efforts in improving the service for you and other guests as well.

Reviewed December 5, 2013

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson
2  Thank Benjamin M
romi G, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Clifton NJ, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2013

Reviewed November 25, 2013

I needed a hotel for the weekend because my house was being renovated, and my family needed to relocate while the work was being done. I searched for a location that was close to my house for a reasonable price, and this hotel provided just what my family needed. I liked it because the other hotels in the vincinity was more expensive and have more amenities, but did not provide a microwave and a mini refrigerator which this hotel provided. Great location for shopping and dining within walking distance.

Room Tip: Good value for a short stay.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank 50bdaygal
romi G, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Clifton NJ, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2013

Hello 50bdaygal,

Thank you for taking your time to write a review about our hotel. It’s a pleasure to hear that you had such a positive experience during your stay. We work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly stay.

Thank you again for staying with us and hope to see you in the future.

Reviewed November 20, 2013 via mobile

1 when making reservation the national desks offer free continental breakfast ... This place does not offer breakfast not even coffee
2 the reservation desk also offers free newspaper ...not here
3 opon check in the room smelled like mold
4 the bathroom shower was molded in corners and around soup dish
5 the bathroom floor was stickey like someone spilled something on it
6 on checkout they charger $1.50 for a safe that we did not use they said they took it off the bill and printed us a receipt showing the adjustment... But when we received the bill it was back on
7 when I spoke to the manager about these issues all he did was refund $1.50 and offer me a 20% discount the next time we stay there...like I will ever be back there again what a waste of money this is not what we expected from Howard Johnsons

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank mikechir
romi G, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Clifton NJ, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2013

Hello mikechir,

Thank you for taking your time to write a review about our hotel. We really apologize for any inconvenience you had during your stay.

I do agree that, we do not offer breakfast in the morning but we do have complimentary coffee available 24 hours in the lobby. Also, there is ihop is connected with hotel.

We really apologize for the mold but we have completely removed the mold from the bathroom and around the soap dish. Also, we have re-inspected our other rooms and bathroom to totally remove the mold and had treatment for all the rooms. Many times it may be possible that our housekeepers have missed a few aspects but it is not in their routine to do so.

As for the safe charge, I want to reassure you that upon request, the management is able to remove the one dollar and fifty cent amount immediately without regret as long as the guest is able to alert us ahead of time.

We hope to see you again at the hotel as we are improving our service and quality of room’s every day. Please excuse us this time as we were lacking in attention and I promise we will take better care of our rooms here on now. Thank you again for your comments.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Clifton
1 mi away
The Wilshire Grand Hotel
The Wilshire Grand Hotel
#1 of 4 in West Orange
La Quinta Inn & Suites Fairfield

Been to Howard Johnson Inn Clifton NJ? Share your experiences!