“Howard Johnson Inn”

Howard Johnson Inn Clifton NJ
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Clifton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
San Jose
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Professional service staff at front desk. Had to do a night-time room switch due to malfunctioning (leaking) toilet bowl, but staff was great to ensure that the room switch was just next door. Housekeeping staff had original intention to just hand me the toilet pump (think I was supposed to fix the toilet bowl myself) initially until I emphasised the problem was at the bottom of the toilet bowl.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

romi G, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Clifton NJ, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Hello Meixuan G,

Thank you for taking your time to write a review about our hotel. We apologize for any inconvenience that you had during your stay.

The leaking toilet bowl is something that should have been fixed prior to your arrival and should not be kept until last minute. The house keeping team apologizes very much for their lack of service at the time because it was in the spur of the moment. However, I am very glad that my front desk team assisted with issue and changed your room immediately. We will ensure that this mistake does not repeat itself.

Thank you again for your comments as we are able to understand our hotel better. Your comments are of great value and we hope to see you again soon at Howard Johnson, Clifton, NJ.
Fulton
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Bathroom smelled like someone died. Got Fabreeze from car to spray it down. Sliding glass door did not close all the way. Barely got it locked! Had someone knock on our door three times during the night. Had someone try the sliding door once. Will NEVER stay here again!! I would have left if my husband had not been with me.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

romi G, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Clifton NJ, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Hello Sheila C,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback regarding your stay with us. We appreciate you taking the time to help us continually improve our guest’s services.

We always assure our guest room and guest restroom to be inspected before it’s given to our valuable guest. But unfortunately it may be possible that our housekeepers have missed a few aspects but it is not in their routine to do so. Please, I apologize very much for the spiteful quality since we are doing our best to improve every part of the hotel as possible.

Although we cannot account for the actions of our other guests, we can work to smooth uncomfortable situations to make all guests feel comfortable and welcomed. I apologize for somebody knocking your door at night time and inconvenience you have encountered. The knocking might have been a mistake for another guest knocking on a nearby door. I have taken note of your valuable comments and rest assured; these will be used to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to write to us. It is only with feedback that we can strive to improve our service to our guests and I do hope that you give us the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future again.
Worthington, Ohio
Reviewed October 3, 2013

I was placed here by my company's travel department. Our regular hotels were all booked full due to the UN General Assembly. The only good things I can really say are that the desk staff were polite and the in room TV's were large and new. Everything else was old. The carpet was disgusting, truly filthy. The bathroom had a sour smell. The mattresses were the worst I've ever experienced. Any movement caused them to squeak loudly. The bed spreads were so old and dirty I felt I needed a hazmat suit just to remove them from the bed. It's located on a busy thoroughfare. The soundproofing was non-existant so between the traffic noise and the noise from the other guests and my squeaking bed and the fear of bugs I got no sleep at all. In the future I would flatly refuse to stay here.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
romi G, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Clifton NJ, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Hello Howtle,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We apologize for any inconvenience that you had during your stay at our hotel. Many times it may be possible that our housekeepers have missed a few aspects but it is not in their routine to do so. Please, I apologize very much for such unkind quality since we are doing our best to improve every part of the hotel bit by bit.

The bed spreads and linen is not part of the hotel's quality assurance and the housekeepers have been informed strictly about their cleaning behavior and the lack of attention during laundry hours where the linen is inspected.

We hope to see you again at the hotel as we are improving our service and quality of room’s everyday. Please excuse us this time as we were lacking in attention and I promise we will take better care of our rooms here on now. Thank you again for your comments.
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 27, 2013

The hotel is average, we had a issue with a lot of noises, people partying till the morning,we let the front desk know and they did not do anything about it, a lot of weird people, will never stay there again

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Also consider these accommodations in or near Clifton
La Quinta Inn & Suites Clifton / Rutherford
The Wilshire Grand Hotel
#1 of 4 in West Orange
Homewood Suites by Hilton East Rutherford-Meadowlands
La Quinta Inn & Suites Fairfield

Been to Howard Johnson Inn Clifton NJ? Share your experiences!