Howard Johnson Inn Clifton NJ
$124
$117
$117
CrownePlaza.com
Saddle Brook Marriott(Saddle Brook)
$209
  • Pool
$219
Homewood
Garden Plaza Hotel(Saddle Brook)
$109
$98
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed April 19, 2008

I checked a few reviews on this hotel before I reserved, however none of them adequately described the conditions to be found. I arrived very late at night, checked in, and hoping to get right to bed, I made my way up the elevator to my room. I was greatly disappointed the moment I opened the door. The room was dirty, the desk chair (which was a typical office chair like you buy at Staples) was FILTHY, there were food crumbs on the phone, there were hairs on one of the pillows, there was leftover food in the refrigerator, I could smell cigarette smoke somehow coming into my room... it was basically really disgusting. Obviously I wasn't going to sleep anytime soon. I turned the bed back and thoroughly checked the sheets to make sure they had even been changed, checked all the towels and washcloths, checked the carpet, etc. I was REALLY tempted to go back to the desk and demand a refund and try to find a different place, but at 1:00 AM, I just didn't feel like enduring the fight with the clerk. I pulled out my laptop (which works great EVERYWHERE), and the only way I could get enough signal to use the internet was to set up and use it right AT THE ENTRY DOOR. Their wireless internet is horrible! The bed was ROCK HARD, the pillows were like the $5 ones you get at Wal-Mart, the towels smelled bad, EVERYTHING about this place was awful. When I checked out and went outside (in the light of day), I noticed there were pieces of building maintenance laying on the ground outside just about every room, as if they made repairs and just threw the waste out onto the ground. For $100, this room was a nightmare! Stay Away!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed March 15, 2008

AVOID THIS PLACE IF YOU CAN! I am not someone who stays at super high class hotels, but this hotel was a DUMP! It smelled horrible! the room was disgusting! the sheets were dirty, and the bed smelled horrible! i couldnt even take a shower during my stay b/c it was SO disgusting, i would have been cleaner not taking one! If you can avoid staying here, please do! I had no choice b/c the travel company picked it for us(and it wasnt cheap either)... but man i would pay 5 times the price to stay somewhere else... oh and dont open the balcony door, you wont be able to close it, the locks get busted, and to make it better, its right next door to a cemetery! AVOID THIS PLACE IF YOU CAN, PAY MORE AND STAY SOMEWHERE NICE!

• Stayed: December 2007
1  Thank redrose2
Reviewed January 13, 2008

This Howard Johnson has very reasonable rates, and it is very easy and quick to get a bus into New York City: just walk to the nearby bus stop on Route 3, and about 20 minutes or so later, you'll be at the Port Authority Bus station.

The hotel was clean, and the free wireless internet was high-speed and very nice. And the Tick-Tock Diner is a short walk away, and there is an IHOP right in front of the hotel. And there was a nice in-room refrigerator.

However, while I knew I was staying in a 'budget' hotel and so had lowered expectations, there are several concerns about this hotel:

1) In the middle of the night, my wife woke me up, as she had smelled burning fabric. I investigated, and found that the bedspread on my son's bed had fallen over the heater and so was very very hot. As the heater was directly next to the bed, this is a very serious hazard, and I shudder to think what could have happened had my wife not awoken. We strongly advised the front desk personnel to do something about this potential hazard - at least post a sign warning guests to be careful.

2) At check-out, the rate was $10/night higher for the last two nights than what my internet-based reservation had stated the rate was. I fortunately noticed this, and they promptly adjusted the bill. However, why and how did this happen in the first place?

3) We arranged for a taxi to the Newark airport through the front desk the night before we left, but the rate seemed higher than it should have been ($55). Two phone calls later we had an $11 cheaper rate, so we called and canceled the hotel-arranged taxi. The next morning, just before our departure, the front desk person (who has said she would not be working that morning) called to ask why we had canceled the taxi ride. How did she know we had canceled? It seems likely that she was getting a kick-back for arranging a more expensive taxi ride with her friend.

4) The bed felt like it had a hole in the middle.

So, while it was very easy to get to NYC from this hotel, if you chose to stay here, bring a print-out of your reservation, check the final bill, and arrange for your own transportation.

And please be very careful to ensure that the bedspread cannot fall onto the heater while you sleep.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank yankee_traveler2
Reviewed September 11, 2007

This is a great hotel for a budget visit to New York City - We stayed here for 2 nights out of a longer 8 nights trip to the Philadelphia area, so I had a car that required parking. The hotel runs it own shuttle through the lincoln Tunnel or just out of the back of the hotel you can catch the regular bus that only costs $4.75 and has you in the centre of Manhatten in 15 minutes! The hotel was clean and very comfortable. Had free internet use (not just access) in the foyer, and teh staff were very couteous and helpful.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank mibhyg
Reviewed September 4, 2007

This hotel is convenently located from the NYC. Driving distance to the NYC metro area. The service was spectacular and the conceirage was wonderful for all of our needs. I highly recommend this hotel.Our room was so clean and the bed so comfortable, also enjoyed the pool. Seems like the hotel is just renovated. i could fee the ambiance. i stayed for 2 nights with my family. Late check out on the third day wasnt extra charged. - usualy i know hotels charge extra even if u checkout couple of hours later then the time-.

checkin staff was nice and helped to get me all the directions i wanted printed out from their computer.

recommended