“Comfortable & great location, but with a few problems...”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Philadelphia - Cherry Hill
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Cherry Hill
Westminster, Colorado
“Comfortable & great location, but with a few problems...”
Reviewed September 7, 2013

This hotel is in a great location: minutes from Philadelphia and close to many great South Jersey towns (Collingswood, Haddonfield). While the rooms are rather well-appointed and the bed and linens very comfortable, this hotel left some things to be desired. Each room contains a Keurig cofffee maker, but enjoy the tiny cups at a modest pace unless you want to purchase more from the front desk. Our room service attendant was cruel enough to put one regular and three decaf k-cups in our room, ahhh! Went to use the lovely outdoor pool and was saddened to find it filthy and only open until 7pm. Most disappointing was the number of issues encountered by members of our party, staying in a block of 20+ rooms for a wedding. Not only was a room not booked for the bride and groom, but one guest attempted to check into an already-occupied room! How embarrassing! Happy enough with my stay but I expected a bit more from the Crowne Plaza brand.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of Cooper River and Center City... otherwise you may get stuck with a vie...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Philadelphia - Cherry Hill, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear Susabella420,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review regarding your recent stay. We aim to provide the best possible service and experience and it is always great to hear from our guests on how we are doing. It is unfortunate that this visit was a disappointment on many aspects particularly with the service received and mishaps in the room block reservation. We take all reviews negative or positive very seriously and your feedback will help us improve on our efforts.

Pam G
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Hillsborough, New Jersey
Reviewed September 5, 2013

My daughter and son-in-law booked a block of rooms, for their wedding guests. Their venue was held elsewhere and this hotel was close by. When the guests arrived at their rooms, there wasn't any air-conditioning. The groom booked a suite and his suite was piled high with furniture, old computers etc. Our other guests reported no air-conditioning in thier rooms. The hotel was handling 2 huge weddings and they apparently did not have the staff to deal with remaining guests. When I arrived on Sunday morning to check on my guests, there STILL wasn't any AC in their rooms. I complained to the front desk, who told me that they never received any complaints from my guests. This was a lie, my guests were complaining for 2 days. Those on the 14th floor, had to sleep with pillows over ther ears because the noise from the AC units were deafening. The front desk clerks were rude and unresponsive. They eventually took 10% off one night from my sister's room, who was on the 7th floor and comped a breakfast. But I feel that this was not enough, since bridal guests want to look their best and there wasn't any AC and they were sleep deprived! They did not do anything for the bride and groom, they paid for a suite and got a storage unit, instead! We will never stay at the Crowne Plaza nor will I ever recommend this hotel to my out of town guests!

Room Tip: Not sure what I could say, check out all sources of information. I read some poor reviews about this...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Philadelphia - Cherry Hill, responded to this review, September 21, 2013
Dear 15gracie,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments online.

I am truly disappointed to hear the troubles you had during your stay with us. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience the air condiditiong system has caused you and for the poor customer service that you received from our staff. We deeply regret the negative experience and impressions you may have had.

Your feedback is indeed of utmost importance to us and rest assured that actions will be taken to ensure our guests continue to enjoy superlative levels of service and comfort that they expect when staying at our hotel. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations.

Dhan M

Travelers are raving about these Cherry Hill hotels

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I'll admit, when I read the other reviews, I was very hesitant to stay here. When I got into my room, I checked to ensure the a/c worked (it did) & the water faucets worked (they did). The closet doors would not close as the tracks are completely bent and the doors will fall off the tracks if moved. There is mold on the tiles in the tub/shower.

But, the bed is very comfortable, the room is very clean and quiet. The 11th floor is the "Quiet Zone" (or so the sign says) and although my room was right near the elevator bank, I never heard the elevators during the 4 nights I stayed here.

The hotel is undergoing a renovation which it really needs. The hallway carpets are very worn and tired. The gym is small -- 2 treadmills and 2 elliptical machines. One of the treadmills had an "out of order" sign on it the 4 days I used the gym. The batteries in the remote for the TV were dead also, but I was able to turn the TV on & change the channels the old fashioned way :)

The restaurant is good, but a limited menu. There is a small coffee place that has Starbuck's coffee in the morning along with bagels or danish. There is a great BBQ restaurant down the street if you're in the mood for BBQ.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Philadelphia - Cherry Hill, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Dear Labbymom,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding our restaurant.

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding the bathroom cleanliness, fitness center and the renovation during your stay. We will address these points. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Matthews, North Carolina
Reviewed August 27, 2013

I stayed at this hotel on 2 different occasions, back to back weeks. During the second week I received several bed bugs bites on my arm, face and leg. (Very intense itching and quite uncomfortable). The manager told me he would file an incident and will have an outside company evaluate the room. He also said he would call me back. It has been almost 4 weeks since I checked out and still have not heard from the manager! Also, as a Platinum priority club member I had access to hospitality room for breakfast and light dinner snacks. The food was very sparse (two 1/2 bagels on counter for breakfast) and the host stood guard in the small room and watched every bite you took! The rooms carpet was dirty and the hotel is shabby. The restaurant waitress was superb!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Philadelphia - Cherry Hill, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
Dear Judy M,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Hotel Philadelphia - Cherry Hill, NJ. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Dhan M
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed August 22, 2013

This hotel is in serious need of the planned renovation. While the staff was great and the food pretty good, the hotel itself is shabby.
From the lobby to the furnishings and the lack of outlets in the rooms, everything says old & tired.
I will wait until the completion of the redo before I stay again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank michael s
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Philadelphia - Cherry Hill, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear michael s,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your review is vital for improving the service and quality we offer to our valued guest. It is always hugely motivating when one takes the time and trouble to acknowledge or give points for improvement. We hope to get the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future. Thank you once again for your valuable comment, and if you might have any suggestions that will contribute to enhancing your stay, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Krysllin G.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We recently stayed here two nights during a horror convention. We had to make separate reservations for each night due to the change in rates. Convention rate was reasonable, AAA rate I wouldn't have paid if we weren't already here. Upon checking in, the front desk employee was helpful in checking us in for both nights (or so we thought). This probably won't have any bearing on anyone's stay, but this hotel is really not set up for a convention. There were 6-7 separate rooms with vendors and guests, not all in the same area.

King room was fairly large with an entire wall as a window. We arrived in the evening and when I pulled back the top cover to get into bed, there was a baseball sized purple/red stain. Had to call to have housekeeping change the sheets - the person on the phone apologized but did not sound too surprised. Bathroom looked clean but dingy/old. Room had a microwave and fridge which was nice. We had a few drinks in the bar which were excellent (I'd recommend the margarita). Restaurant just looked like it would be terrible. We asked the hostess for a silverware set for our room, and she looked confused and disappeared into the kitchen for almost 5 minutes. I just grabbed one off the table and wasn't there when (if!) she returned. We ordered pizza to our room (they actually bring it right up to the room here)!

Next morning, we had a bill slipped under our door which made it seem like they expected us to check out. I headed to the front desk to explain that shouldn't have happened, and a rather unfriendly staff member tried to tell me she needed my credit card again. We had already signed authorizing payment for both nights, and I explained in no uncertain terms was she getting my credit card again. She looked for a few more minutes, gave us new keys, and said everything was fine. That was somewhat of a hassle that was unnecessary.

Bar was super busy that night and although it did not look like the bartenders were used to it, they kept up with the demand and were actually pretty great. Bar staff is probably the best part of the hotel!

Late that evening, some of the convention guests on our floor were super loud a few rooms down. I saw one staff member coming down the hall around 11pm-midnight and looked as if he was heading that way. They continued off and on until 4:30am -- not necessarily the hotel's fault (and I was too tired to call and complain) but they probably should have had someone continue to check on the floor throughout the evening. No issue checking out the following morning, did not need to stop at the front desk.

If the hotel is convenient to your location or there's a convention here, it's a perfectly fine stay. Seemed to be a safe area and food/stores were not too far away (with a car) in either direction. Nothing special but decent enough.

As a side note, I had shipped a large package to the hotel ahead of my arrival. It was safely stored for me and it was in the notes to give to me when we checked in. I had to drop it off with them on a Sunday (the package was prepaid to return) and they made sure it was shipped off with the post office the following morning.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Every year my regional church group organizes a large dance that is attended by roughly 300 people. They have chosen the Crowne Plaza in Cherry Hill the past two years, and it's a lovely location that is easy to find for everyone coming in from out of town. The banquet room is very large and even with the crowd, it is easy to walk around (plenty of room between tables). Also, the dance floor is substantial for the number of people we have. And we are dancers. No complaints about this place.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Hyatt Place Mt. Laurel
Hyatt Place Mt. Laurel
#1 of 28 in Mount Laurel
Staybridge Suites Philadelphia - Mt Laurel

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Philadelphia - Cherry Hill? Share your experiences!