“Very noisy!”

Holiday Inn Cherry Hill
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Cherry Hill
Reviewed June 7, 2008

We stayed only 1 night before flying out. We checked in with no problem. We were given a 1st floor room - right next to the housekeeping office, ice maker and soda machine. The employees were LOUD - all night long. We had to call down to the front desk to complain - it only made it worse.

The room was mostly clean - a lot of dust on the desk, but the bathroom was clean and everything worked fine. The furnishings are older, but clean. The beds were hard - not comfortable at all.

Indoor pool is being renovated, but the outdoor pool was open. It looked alright, but we did not use it since we were only there for 1 night.

All in all, this hotel was average. We paid $50 on Priceline. I would not choose this hotel again - there are several nicer hotels in the area for the same price.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family

Reviewed December 10, 2007

Paid only $60 + tax on priceline, its not worth staying here and paying the normal rate. The rooms are large, the hotel is big, and has a restaurant and pool and free wifi which is probably what makes it a 3*. However the rooms were old and needed renovation.

The cleanliness was not horrible, but a saw a few strands of hair on the bathroom floor and lots of stains on the walls and stuff like that. The cleaning staff may have been rushed since they did weird things like leaving a lamp on the bed!

Also when I got there and when I left the front desk reception people were nowhere to be found, I had to wait a few minutes for them to come out of a back room or something.

I also would have liked a small breakfast bar or something typical of holiday inns in the morning, I guess because they have a restaurant they don't do this. I have been to another Red Hot and Blue and it was good, not the best BBQ I have ever been to but one of the best large chains I know.

I only stayed the one night in-and-out so I didn't get a chance to check out most of the other amenities.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 3, 2007

I was generally pleased with the Holiday Inn. The room was large and the price was reasonable. They have free wireless Internet access. I stayed here because they advertised a free shuttle to Cooper University Hospital, where I had an interview. However, there was no shuttle the morning of the interview and they ended up calling a taxi. They did reimburse us for the cost of the taxi and were generally accommodating for requests. The staff was friendly. The only downside is that checkout is at 12:00pm and they will only give you a late checkout if you are a member of their free rewards program, but even then only until 2:00pm. I have gotten later checkouts at other places.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed November 27, 2007

For those who are considering Cherry Hill as a cheap alternative to staying in the city of Philadelphia, rest assured that this hotel is an extremely convenient, quick drive over the Ben Franklin Bridge.

However, having stayed in many of the hotels in the Cherry Hill / Mt. Laurel area, I can't really recommend the Holiday Inn over other comparably-priced hotels.

There are two clusters of moderately priced hotels in this area. The Holiday Inn is in the older part of Cherry Hill, around the congested shopping strip at the former site of the Garden State Park race track. The other cluster of newer hotels is just a mile or two further from the city, around Route 73 in Mt. Laurel. It is a very competitive hotel market with lots of moderately-priced options.

I travel to this area a couple of times a year, and will usually book one of the Marriott properties; but if I have time, I will also put in a lowball bid at priceline.com for the 3-Star hotel class. Priceline treats Cherry Hill / Mt. Laurel as one geographic area. That's how I recently ended up at the Holiday Inn Cherry Hill for the bargain rate of $60.00/day.

The hotel is fine. The lobby area is nice, the staff was friendly, and the rooms, while dated, were clean. However, the room amenities themselves are skating at the edge of 3-star status.

Our rooms were small. There wasn't much room around the furniture, and the "desk" was a small table and chair without an electrical outlet or desk lamp. The nearest power cord was behind the door 6 feet away (unplug the floor lamp if you need more than one outlet).

The high-speed internet access was free and quite good. Holiday Inn's system is well organized, with several access points in the hotel and a password that's unique to your room. Once logged in, you can use the internet to order room service -- very clever.

The bed itself was simply not up to current hotel standards. I would best describe it as stiff and squeaky. A little card invited me to call to have a real down pillow delivered upon request. I called, but was told that all the pillows were taken.

The room's climate control was one of those window blower units that had 2 heat settings (hot and off), and 2 fan speeds (loud fan and louder fan). On the plus side, the white noise from the fan drowned out any other ambient sounds at night.

The bathroom was old and small, but clean. The showerhead was surprisingly good, with more pressure than I expected, and there was a separate sink outside the bathroom -- always nice. There was no closet -- just an open hangar area with those annoying hotel security hangars.

Adjoining rooms are available, if that it important to you. I've also found adjoining rooms at the Wyndham Mt. Laurel (a superior hotel), but not at most of the newer chain hotels in the area.

The Holiday Inn's location is quite close to the bridge to Philadelphia, but on a divided section of Route 70 that makes it quite difficult to turn into the hotel if approaching from the east, and equally difficult to depart the hotel if you are turning west toward the city (you have to drive through an adjacent trailer park to get to a street where left turns are permitted).

BOTTOM LINE: There are many positives to this property, but quite a few negatives as well. If Priceline put me here again for a bargain rate, I wouldn't complain, but I would not choose this hotel over any of the other so-called "3 Star" hotels in the area.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank WashingtonFan
Reviewed October 4, 2007

We planned a trip to Philadelphia to see the King Tut exhibit and I was surprised at how very expensive the hotels in town were. We could find nothing under $200/night! I got a wonderful deal on this hotel from Priceline ($60/night) and we were willing to stay in this suburb, which is a 15-minute drive from the center of Philly.
This is an older Holiday Inn that has definitely seen better days. The common areas are quite nice, but the halls and rooms are tired and could use some repair/updating. The beds were quite firm. However, our room was very, very clean and the daily housekeeping was above average. The staff is incredibly nice, warm, and helpful. The indoor pool is wonderful-the warmest hotel pool I've ever had the pleasure of swimming in. The outdoor pool was closed for the season but it was large and looked quite nice. The attached restaurant is a Red, Hot and Blue which also serves breakfast-it was perfectly fine (typical hotel breakfast of the same quality you find in more expensive places). Driving into Philly is easy-a straight shot east that takes you over the Ben Franklin Bridge and lands you in the middle of the historic area. The main road is a commuting artery during the week, so if you want to avoid traffic you can take the commuter train, which is a 3-minute drive from the hotel, with free parking. The train ticket to Philly costs $2.
We were really pleased with this hotel, as it was clean, convenient to what we wanted to see, friendly, and very inexpensive. I stayed for three nights for the price of one night in the city. It's a perfectly adequate base for exploring Philly. It's also 5 minutes from the wonderful Adventure Aquarium in Camden (see separate review).
I definitely recommend this hotel to people who are looking for an inexpensive base to explore Philly.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank Michelesullivan
Reviewed September 17, 2007

We booked this hotel for 3 nights on the strength of some of the good reviews on here. We were wanting to see Philadelphia but because we had a car we were opting to stay out of the city to get free parking. When we arrived the check-in was fine and we were given the King room we had booked but it turned out to be right next to the elevator. I'm a light sleeper so my husband went to the desk and asked if we could move, they only had double rooms left but I didn't mind. The room turned out to be at the back of the hotel right over the massive air-con vents, it was really loud, there was also a train line which runs until 3am. He went and asked if we could move to the front of the hotel, the clerk was less than courteous and told him the hotel was full so no chance. The air-con in the room was incredibly loud also so we had both a hot and noisy room, not great. The room itself was depressing as hell, brown and musty and just overall rundown. The bathroom was not very clean, something brown and unpleasant stuck to the bathmat as well as a grim shower curtain. Since it was late by this time we went down to Red, Hot & Blue to get something to eat, this was really nice and definitely the highlight of the stay. The day after we checked out early at 9am, the only time in my life I've checked out of a hotel early. It was just too unpleasant to stay in and we decided to stay in Philadelphia instead and just pay the parking fees. Turned out we got a room at the Radisson for only $35 more than we'd been paying at the Holiday Inn. It was well worth it. I wouldn't recommend the Holiday Inn to anyway who expects a clean room or to get any sleep.

• Stayed: September 2007
Reviewed April 2, 2007

I stayed at this hotel with my wife and daughter. I specifically picked this location because it had an indoor pool. The room was fair; no complaints about cleanliness. It is located next to Red, Hot
and Blue - a pretty good ribs place.

The pool was rather small, but my 6 year old didn't seem to care. She did care, though, about the multitude of bugs floating in the pool. Yes, it is an indoor pool...

Anyway, the only other complaint I had was noise form the next room.
It sounded like a birthday party since I heard rounds of Happy Birthday and other similar noises at 11-12PM. I called the front desk
and they said they would send security. 30 minutes later, they were still noisy, so I knocked and asked them to quiet down.

I reserved this place using Holiday Inn points, but they didn't seem to notice because they slipped a bill for full price under my door the next morning. They corrected the billing problem that morning and were helpful with directions to my next destination.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family
Extended Stay America - Philadelphia - Cherry Hill
Hilton Garden Inn Mt. Laurel
Hilton Garden Inn Mt. Laurel
#3 of 28 in Mount Laurel

Been to Holiday Inn Cherry Hill? Share your experiences!