“Simple and good”

Whole Hog Cafe
Ranked #26 of 258 Restaurants in Cherry Hill
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed December 12, 2013

I ate here 3 or 4 times during 2 conferences I attended at the Crowne Plaza down Marlton Pike. Your order at the counter and go back to get your food when it is ready. BBQ sauces are at the table, so you can try several if you like. They have a variety of meats, very good salads, and "loaded potatoes." The staff is lovely, very friendly and helpful and the quality of the food is quite good. Nothing fancy but definitely hits the spot if you like BBQ. I gather it's a chain, but for once I didn't mind that. The seating is pleasant - booths and tables far apart.

1  Thank newshine

Reviewed November 29, 2013

Having travelled extensively in Arkansas, I was thrilled to hear the Whole Hog was opening here in NJ, the team at the whole Hog did not let me down, pulled pork and brisket were as good as they Are at the original location in Little Rock. I highly recommend the Whole hog

3  Thank John U
Reviewed November 9, 2013

There is no waiter service; you order at a counter and they announce your number. The cashier was friendly. My mother and I each ordered a sampler platter. She had pulled pork, chicken, sides of potato salad and cole slaw with a dinner roll. I had smoked sausage, brisket, sides of potato salad and baked beans with cornbread. All the meats are not sauced and there is a "six-pack" of barbecue sauces on the table with detailed descriptions of the flavors. The sauces were nice but the meats were all dry. The cornbread was crumbly and fell apart. The brisket had no flavor whatsoever. I did like the baked beans, and my mother liked the coleslaw. I would expect the meat to be the "star" here, and neither of us liked the 4 varieties we tried.

Reviewed November 2, 2013

We couldn't wait to try the new BBQ place opening. When we finally got there, we were taken back by the counter service, but hey, what the heck, we rolled with it. We placed our order - each had a two meat combo meal that came with two sides each - so we could taste everything. We liked that the meat was smoked and not smothered in BBQ sauce - which was on the tables in 6 different flavors (and one behind the counter that you have to ask for for the daring). We had the pork, brisket, ribs and sausage; sides included potato salad, beans, side salad and coleslaw. All was good. I must add, however, that we did think it was a little pricey - costing $27 for two of us - for what we got. That being said, we will definitely go back.

1  Thank Nancy W
Reviewed November 2, 2013

I had the chicken platter, my fiance had the sausage and pork platter. The food was very good! My chicken was moist, tasty and I really enjoyed it. The potato salad and pork and beans were also really good. I will be back.