“Great Place For A Gathering”
Review of Coastline Restaurant - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Coastline Restaurant
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We are a group of about 20 Rutgers Camden grads who with our spouses have been getting together annually for over 50 years. This year we choose Coastline. What a great place. We were provide our own room (at no charge) and with our own bartender. We received the Happy Hour prices and had access to their appetizer buffet. We ate dinner out on their patio. A delightful evening, Guess where we'll meet next year?

1  Thank jbfeeley

Reviewed August 18, 2013

this is one of those rare finds that you come across in your travels that you wish was located closer to home.

we met some old friends for lunch and went to coastline at their recommendation. who are we to know of anywhere different?

we all opted for the buffet on a sunday afternoon. the others tackled the omelette station, carving station, hot foods. the others liked what they got - ham, ribs, beef a little dry, veggies, crab cakes, etc. i had a couple helpings of smoked salmon - where was the lemon and capers?? the smoked salmon was terrific

but i went in the other direction to the fruit and salad bar. omg. i usually opt for salad bar wherever i go. this was by far the best. they had chilled plates available and the salad items were fresh. so fresh. and as a result, so tasty. everything was of the highest quality. the quiches were excellent - kept nice and warm on a warming tray.

ion second thought, t's prob a good thing we don't have a place like this at home. i'd be there at least once/week. :)

Reviewed July 22, 2013

We've enjoyed the Coastline's meals for many years and have never had any complaints. Everyone, from the managers to the servers, has always been welcoming and accommodating, and the food has always been delicious. Last night, we opted to order takeout rather than go out to eat, and, boy, were we disappointed. I ordered a crab cake sandwich that came with fries and coleslaw. The crab cake was, basically, a mush of breadcrumbs with very little crab meat with no flavor whatsoever. The French fries were chewy, like they had been reheated in a microwave, and the coleslaw was served in a condiment cup, like the kind you put your ketchup in at Wendy's! My husband had Chicken Parm with a side of pasta. The chicken was placed in the larger section of a divided container. It was a small serving, and the pasta was separated between the two little sections of the container. There was probably less than a cup of spaghetti. I've never seen pasta served that way! The salad that came with his meal was also very small, just a few leaves of lettuce and four croutons. It's safe to say we won't be ordering takeout from the Coastline again. I'm not sure we'll even go back to the restaurant again if this was indicative of the kind of food they now serve. It makes me wonder if there is new management.

1  Thank rsf5
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We have been here for Sunday brunch and thought it was pretty good. We decided to try it for dinner and were very disappointed. I would say it is basically low end diner food. I can think of a dozen places in the area to get better food for the same price.

We started with chicken rice soup. That was perfectly fine - standard diner fare. Then a tossed salad - also basic and fine. For entrees, I had broiled flounder and my wife had chicken medeira. The flounder was a nice size piece of fish that was well cooked. They didn't serve it with a lemon wedge but fortunately I had one from my water glass. I also got mashed potatoes, which were too salty, and mixed vegetables, which were overcooked and probably canned. My wife's chicken was drowned in sauce which also ran into her vegetables (which should have been served in a separate dish to avoid that problem).

For dessert, we both ordered chocolate pudding. What came out was a thick gelatinous lump that was literally one piece. When my wife stuck her spoon into it, the entire piece of "pudding" slid up out of the dish. She could have picked it up with her hand and taken it out. Mine was not quite that solid but close. We called the waiter over and showed him. He took them back and went into the kitchen only to come out and say that they were all like that. Apparently, the pudding is already in the dishes and sitting in the refrigerator. Who knows how long they've been there. So we skipped dessert (which was included with our meal).

As for the waiter, he was either very new or just not very good. He had trouble telling us what the soups were. First he just said clam chowder. Only after we asked if that was the only choice did he tell us there were other options. For side dishes, he mentioned 3 or 4 things. A few minutes later, after we had ordered, I overheard the waitress at the table across from ours giving her table a much more extensive list of sides to pick from. Nothing else specific that I can pinpoint but overall he just wasn't great.

While we would return here for Sunday brunch, we definitely will not be back for lunch or dinner.

2  Thank disneysteve
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Stopped in for lunch and we were warmly greeted. We didn't realize we had gone in the bar entrance, and were directed to the dining room. This place is HUGE! We were seated by the hostess and our server was excellent. We had soup, salad bar, crab cakes and a chicken Panini and dessert. The Panini was excellent, served with very good fries. The crab cakes were OK, but we should have listened to our server and gotten them broiled, not fried. The salad bar was huge, with plenty of fresh choices and came on a chilled plate. The total bill, including beverages and tip was under $40, and we had plenty left over to take home for an entire additional meal.

1  Thank Elman1952