“Gone Downhill”

La Terrazza Italiano Ristorante
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: An eclectic mix of fine Italian dishes inspired by the great chefs of Tuscany, Napoli and Sicily. Our chef strives to provide the very best representation of the finest dishes prepared in the traditions of the great chefs of Italy! Only the freshest ingredients for your meal prepared with love... Your experience at La Terrazza Restaurante Italiano will be a night to remember... bring your favorite wine and your best friends, let us provide the rest! BUON APPETITO!
Philadelphia
“Gone Downhill”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

We've been here numerous times under previous and current ownership. We 'had' some favorite items that we typically ordered so we knew what to expect, but someone pulled off a bait-and-switch with the Groupon Deal. Shame on you! The portions were about one third of what they typically were. The service is typically adequate, but on this particular night it was the perfect storm of inefficiency, inexperience, and snarkiness. This is a local place for us, so we averaged at least once per month, but this last experience ended that. With great sites like Trip Advisor, you can't hide from your poor service. People have a voice, so you better deliver or they're going to speak up.

2 Thank CEV426

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Our 1st visit but we'll be back”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Our 1st vist was via a Groupon and it was a GREAT deal...2 appetizers, 2 entrees and 2 desserts for $35.00. Our server, Anthony, was a delight, very attentive and gracious. Our appetizers, mozzarella caprese and clams in garlic sauce were very good (the tomatos on the mozzarella caprese were a bit tasteless but after all, they had to have been shipped. NOTHING like Jersey tomotoes in the summer). The one disappointment were the salads....there was WAY TOO much basalmic on them and were almost inedible. Our entrees were delish (positano and clams over linguini) and the desserts (2 creme brulee) were fabulous. We'd certainly return there but would probably order less food as their portions are huge.
In many ways, it felt like we were back at Mirabellas (the restaurant that formerly occupied that space). The restaurant has changed very little and the food was equally good.
We're so happy that we ate there and will certainly go back...Groupon or not.

1 Thank basketlady88
New Jersey
“New Kid On The Block”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

About a year ago, an overpriced Italian restaurant in this location closed, and the slightly less overpriced La Terrazza opened in the same spot. They didn't even have to spend any money on redecorating ... Just put up a new sign, print some menus, and they're in business. Actually the food is pretty good, but why are the prices as high as they are when they didn't even have any site preparation expense?

A friend and I ate at LaTerrazza last night. We didn’t want anything special ... just some pasta. And we wanted to eat someplace nearby.

First we were handed menus. I don't know about you, but I find it annoying when the prices on the menu are just a single number with no “.00” after it. It makes me think “Maybe if they used cents on this menu it could have been $11.50 instead of $12.”

Next the waiter came around with fresh baked bread and butter and recited their specials for the evening. None sounded appetizing to me, but my dining partner asked the price of one of them. “$30.” Way too much for an entree at a neighborhood restaurant.

We ordered our pasta and ate some bread with a tasty self-mixed olive oil, spices and cheese dipping sauce. Next came a field-greens salad with a nice vinaigrette dressing.

Then our pasta dishes arrived. Penne Arabiatta for me and something with cheese melted on top for him. Both excellent.

Waiter asked about desserts or coffee, but we were both too full. Bus-people wanted to clear the table, but I was not yet finished soaking up the pasta sauce with the bread. My dining partner was offended. He thought they were trying to rush us and free up the table. I don't think so because there were other tables available.

So where does the name La Terrazza come from? From the big section of sidewalk tables out front? Somewhere else this might be romantic, but this terrace looks out only on the shopping center's parking lot.

Yes, I'll be back. Its right across the street.

1 Thank UneasyRider
New Jersey
“A great addition to the neighborhood”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

A couple of months ago, I purchased a Groupon for La Terrazza having never been there before. The deal was $35 for a 4-course dinner for two: 2 appetizers, 2 house salads, 2 entrees, 2 desserts. We used it this past Saturday night and were extremely pleased. With the exception of the house salad which was rather worthless, everything else was delicious. We began with an order of mozzarella caprese and an order of the gnocchi misto. The homemade mozzarella was served on sliced tomato with fresh basil, olive oil, and roasted peppers. Yum! Simple and delicious. The gnocchi was a trio of homemade, melt-in-your-mouth gnocchi with 3 different sauces: alfredo, which was light and creamy, pomodoro, which was your basic red sauce, and pesto, which was fresh and flavorful. There were fresh hot rolls included served with butter, olive oil, grated cheese, and a cheese and spice mixture which is what I used (together with the olive oil). Again, yum! I could easily see going back there for a light meal and just getting a couple of appetizers and bread. That would be plenty for us.
As I said, the house salad was quite forgettable and I set it aside after I took a couple of bites. Considering the quality, taste, and presentation of the other courses, it was disappointing that they couldn't come up with a better tasting salad. Given everything else, though, we really didn't even need the salad.
For entrees, my wife had the chicken marsala, an Italian standard that we've seen done various ways from quite good to pretty awful. This one ranked high. Abundant mushrooms, a well-seasoned sauce that was not too thick or syrupy, and a generous portion of tender chicken breast. It was served with steamed veggies and roasted potatoes (a side of pasta was the other option). I had the pesto crusted tilapia served with warm lentil salad and sauteed escarole. It was a great blending of tastes, textures, colors, and food groups (sorry, I'm a nutrition nut). The fish was cooked to perfection and had to be scooped up as if I tried to stab it with my fork, it fell apart. The only bad thing was that I was so stuffed from the appetizers and bread that I couldn't finish the whole plate.
For dessert we got a cannolli and a tiramisu. I'm a bit of a cannolli snob. This one was just fine though the shell was a bit on the thick side but the filling was rich, creamy, and delicious. The tiramisu was also delicious though perhaps a tiny bit heavy on the rum depending on your taste. It was fine with us but others may disagree.

Before coffee (not included with the Groupon), our bill came to $67 before tax and tip, so the $35 deal was quite a good one. They did automatically add the gratuity, which I had no problem with as I'm sure a lot of people stiff them when using Groupons. Remember folks, tip on the actual cost of the meal, not what you paid for the Groupon. Speaking of the tip, I haven't mentioned our server. He was friendly and attentive. I can't say we ever waited too long for anything and he refilled my water glass regularly, a feature I generally use to judge good service. He did seem a bit overworked and seemed to be the only waiter working the entire room, but he managed it all just fine.
Overall, La Terrazza was a definite hit, surely a place to which we would return, with or without a Groupon. If we were paying full price, we wouldn't have gotten 2 of everything because we don't typically order (or eat) that much, so the price would have been more in the $50 range which I think is very comparable to similar restaurants. We would highly recommend it.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Absolutely Delicious!”
Reviewed December 8, 2012

My family has owned restaurants, I've been to many good Italian restaurants, but La Terrazza in Cherry Hill may be the absolute best. I told Joe (I think that's what his name was) that I wanted something authentic, and he suggested I get the spicy Abruzzi with veal. The flavor was nothing short of finger-licking delicious. You know you're eating a great dish when you're cleaning your plate clean with several rolls of homemade focaccia, and then still wanting more. The Italian peppers, besides being delicious, add a beautiful Mediterranean flair to the sauce, and take it to the next level. To the owners of La Terrazza: your restaurant honors Italian tradition in a big way, congratulations! I will DEFINITELY be back!

• Visited December 2012