“Micks - your gateway to the Wading and Oswego Rivers”

Micks Pine Barrens Canoe and Kayak Rental
South Jersey
63 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 132 helpful votes
“Micks - your gateway to the Wading and Oswego Rivers”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Want to go canoeing or kayaking and don't have the gear? Micks is the answer. They offer one stop renting. Come in, pick out what type of watercraft you want, which river you want to explore, and how far you want to go. They'll get you your gear (including life jackets, paddles, etc), drop you off, and then pick you up at the end. If you have to cut your journey short, they'll pick you up at an earlier drop off point.

Suggestions:
- Rent a dry sack for your lunch, keys, phone, etc. If you have something on you that can't get wet, it guarantees that you'll tip in at some point and ruin it.
- Reserve ahead of time on nice weekends, they do book up on occasion. I've never had them book up, but I usually boat in the offseason.
- You have a life jacket, wear it. People die on these rivers every few years. Plus, it's the law in state parks.
- Stick a few bills in your pocket to tip your drivers.

My suggestion is to canoe the Wading River. It winds its way through miles of love pine forest, cedar swamps, and through a few marshes. Just this year, I've spotted snakes, turtles, and plenty of birds. You'll pass under a few bridges too, which make nice markers. I usually canoe from Hawkin's Bridge to Bodine Field Campground (where I camp for the weekend). Hawkins to Evans is also a lovely run.

The river is usually pretty clear of obstacles (especially compared to the nearby Mullica), but this is a deceitfully quick river. Expect to crash into a few bushes and low hanging branches while you adapt to it's curves and pace.

I only have one complaint about Micks, which is the prices have been creeping ever upward over the years I've used them, especially since they absorbed their main competition - Pine Barrens Canoe Rental. The prices aren't outrageous, but they used to be a better deal.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank mikebickerson

Lafayette,CO
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Very enjoyable family activity”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We were in Surf City for a family reunion and looking for something to do when one of my brother's found Mick's. We signed up for the 3 hour trip on the Wading River. It took about 30-40 minutes to drive to Mick's from Surf City. We got a little lost - Mick's is in the Pine Barrens so you're hemmed in on all sides by pines, no mountains; so everything looks the same. We got there around 9:30 am (on a Tuesday) and there were only a few cars in the parking lot. About 40 minutes later the place got a lot more crowded. Mick's not only rents out canoes and kayaks, but can drop you and your equipment off and do pick up.

The desk person was super friendly and helped us figure out what canoes and kayaks to rent. Except for my two teenagers, we are all novices. One brother, his wife and kids (9 and 5 yrs old) took a canoe. My husband and I took a canoe. My kids (17 and 14 yrs old) took a double kayak. My other brother and one kid (12 yrs old) took a canoe; his other son (14 yrs old) took a single kayak. We left all our electronics behind except me because my cell phone had Verizon. They gave me a ziplock bag with their phone # on it for my phone. We got some basic advice and directions on the river route.

We piled into a small school bus that hauled our canoe and kayak rentals. We were dropped off at Hawkin Bridge. We put on some slightly mildew-smelling life vests and then were off. The Wading River is very placid. We're from Colorado and are used to rivers with lots of white water so I was a little concerned about the seeming lack of safety instructions or the need for a guide. My trepedations were quickly dispelled when I realized how calm the river was. By the way, do not wear white or anything that stains. The river water is a very dark red brown because of the iron content in the surrounding soil. It was hard to tell how deep the river was in most parts because of this.

Even though the river is very calm, it's very curvy and being novices we occassionally ran into banks or tree limbs. We got pinned twice against logs but were able to free ourselves. My brother and his family in the canoe flipped once. Everyone in our group can swim which, as calm as the river is, was a good thing.

The river is very peaceful and we were able to enjoy the quiet on the straight stretches. As a 51 year old parent who works outside the home, I really, really appreciated this.

There are a number of sandy banks along the route where you can pull out for a break. Near the end of our route there was a rope swing that the kids had a great time with.

We finished in just under 3 hours and called Mick's to be picked up. They showed up promptly in 5 minutes.

Mick's is not a fussy, fancy place. They provide basic equipment and services that allow others to have an enjoyable and simple river experience. The entire family gave Mick's and the river experience a thumbs up.

Visited June 2013
2 Thank poidogs
West Deptford, NJ
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Oswego River Kayak Trip”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

The Oswego River in the New Jersey Pine Barrens is one of the prettiest rivers you can kayak. If you want to canoe it, it is best to do it in the spring after a lot a rain because it is generally too shallow for canoes in the summer. Since kayaks need less water, that is the better option. It winds through a beautiful forest. You start out with a short paddle across Lake Oswego, a short portage over a cranberry bog impoundment and then on down the river for 2-3 hours depending on how much you paddle or how fast the water is moving which isn't usually very fast. At the end, you paddle across Harrisville Lake to the beach. The first part of the lake is shallow and full of water lilies, a beautiful site to see when hundreds of them are in bloom. Along the way you will often see turtles slide into the water from logs where they are resting until they see you coming. There are a couple of beaches along the way to stop and have lunch.
If you have two cars, you can put your own canoes in at Lake Oswego and leave one car at Harrisville Lake. Or you can put in at Harrisville Lake and paddle upstream for a while and then float back down.
Mick's Pine Barrens Canoe and Kayak Rentals will put you in at Lake Oswego and take you out at Harrisville. You can rent boats from them or they will transport yours.

Visited May 2013