“Benefit of a doubt - Average”

Hotel Executive Suites
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Carteret
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Decided to get a room at this hotel because I knew that I was going to be flying in really late to Newark International and just wanted a room to get about 5-6 hours of sleep before having to leave to attend a function. Got into the hotel at a little later than 12:30AM and was happy to see the hotel looking good from the outside, a nice lobby, and very courteous staff checking me in. So far I was thinking that everything was going to be great and that you don't always 'get what you paid for'. Get up to floor, everything was fine. Get to room, open door, look in...... Nice room. Nice big bed and was one of the SleepNumber beds. Nice touch. Prior person must have liked it taught since it was very hard. Control didn't work. Display and buttons did nothing. Ok no problem, I was tired and was going to be there but a few hours. So lay down and then notice a huge crack in the ceiling. Not falling on me so I fell asleep under the covers, sheet, etc.

Later that morning, I shower and go downstairs for the breakfast offering. To my surprise it wasn't just cereal and cold food. It was a very nice setup including meats, warm foods, juices, etc. very nice.

I check out.

Later in the day while driving to my second stop, I notice several bug bites on my forearm. Hmmmm. Mosquitoes hate me so, that's not it. Disregard. Later I get to a relatives house and I am changing to go to gym. Take off shirt and notice several more bites on abdomen. Well, the only time I was without shirt was when I was in bed earlier. Darn it, something may have been in there with me. Mind you, I state MAYBE, because I am not sure.

Anyway, long story short.... Good hotel for the money, just check your bed to be safe.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Richard S, General Manager at Hotel Executive Suites, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

We take our guests health seriously and hope that you can appreciate that it is with great concern that we immediately reacted to your comment.

As all of our repeat guests know we have a strong record of being a very cleanly hotel and after receiving your comment within hours we had a team in to the room you had taken to inspect for any evidence of something that might be in the bedding. Fortunately the results showed there was no evidence at all of something that should not have been there. Regardless we have taken to Deep Clean the room and have both an outside and in-house team meticulously going over the room and adjacent rooms.

That being said, thank you for your kind words about our hotel. Please note that we are in the process of upgrading room interiors, and have just finished with our upgrade of the breakfast area. As our hotel was built in 2006 these are just a few of the updates that are in the works.

Reviewed September 20, 2013

I felt that this hotel was excellent for the price that I paid, $94. If it was up in the $125-$150 range I'm not sure how I would have felt. The lobby was clean and welcoming, the bar and restaurant seemed very nice, and the front desk clerk greeted me with a smile. The room I had was very clean, very modern, and was fine.

I do agree with the guests that claim the immediate vicinity is a bit industrial. However, you're right next to a turnpike exit, and Cateret is a 5 minute drive. One must also remember that if you want somewhere in the heart of Newark or closer to NYC, you're going to be paying much more than what this hotel charges. I did not agree with the reviewer who claimed that the parking lot seemed dangerous.

I will say this though, the hotel breakfast was one of the worst I have ever had. If this is important to someone I would be hesitant. The coffee was fine but from what I can recall there were no waffles, no pastries, and the eggs, pancakes, and sausages were of a very poor quality. Based on my otherwise positive impression of the hotel, I was surprised. Management may want to consider dropping the breakfast and offering a higher quality paid option in the restaurant if this is the best they feel they can do. While my overall impression of the hotel was positive, it did leave me feeling very disappointed that morning.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Richard S, General Manager at Hotel Executive Suites, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

We are very pleased to hear that our guests are coming to realize the convenience of our location and that they are not put off by our proximity to the New Jersey Turnpike Exit 12 and nearby businesses. While we may not be the first choice for a resort get-away we are high on the list of those that value convenience and good service.

Reviewed September 20, 2013

We were delighted to find Hotel Executive Suites so conveniently located alongside the NJ Turnpike, within sight of NYC. Some reviews were mediocre, but this facility appears brand new, complete with Sleep Number beds! Clean, well-kept, great breakfast choices and easy to get to NY. Now, it is easy and inexpensive -- but it takes at least an hour to get to either midtown or downtown. Parking for nearby NJ Transit was cheap ($8 for an entire day), and seniors tickets were just $4 each way. The train is a local, and it took an hour to get to Penn Station, but it runs early morning to late night, about 15-20 mins bet trains. The front desk staff was great about printing out directions and schedules. Another alternative is to drive across to the Staten Island ferry (which we also did). Bridge toll was hefty, but the parking was cheap and the ferry is free! A scenic ride which takes you to the southern tip of Manhattan, runs 24/7.

Room Tip: I'd ask for the Sleep Number bed (not sure if they are in all rooms)!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel.

As many guests have come to realize it is easier to use public transportation to go to NYC and our location is well served by rail, bus and of course The Staten Island Ferry. We are about 20 minutes by car from the ferry and there is ample public parking. Likewise at the NJ Transit station in Rahway, there is covered parking for a nominal fee. Or if you like we can provide free scheduled shuttle service to and from the rail station in Rahway.

Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

We visited New York City for the weekend. Got this nice hotel for only $90 a night suite and drove 20 minutes to the Staten Island ferry station which took us to lower Manhattan for free. Our room was clean, had a comfortable king size bed, and had a nice size flat screen TV. There is a bar and a restaurant downstairs. The girl at the front desk even gave us take out menus from local restaurants that deliver. Also there is a 7 Eleven near by. And in the morning they have a free hot/cold breakfast which we enjoyed. Would definitely recommand this hotel and we will stay here again if we are in the area.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank mandalay1971
Richard S, General Manager at Hotel Executive Suites, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed our hotel and had the wisdom to take a ferry ride into New York City. The Staten Island Ferry is nearby to the hotel and offers a refreshing and most spectacular way to enter Manhattan.

We hear that a gigantic 60-story Ferris Wheel "The New York Wheel" has now been given the go-ahead to be built on the Staten island waterfront near to the ferry, along with a mega shopping outlet. Scheduled to be built and open the summer after next, there are sure to be a far greater number of tourists. But you will have the advantage of saying "I remember it when..."

Reviewed August 23, 2013

When I booked 2 rooms was promised fridge and microwave in both rooms. Neither in rooms when we arrived got fridge after we ask but no microwave. wasn't the best hotel but neither worst. Staff where very helpful,used shuttle service which was very good.location was by industrial estate to far from any attractions, but we where attending a wedding and for us it was ideal,

• Stayed: August 2013

We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel It prides us all when a guest has a pleasant experience.

As it has been such a busy summer at our hotel we do apologize when a fridge, microwave or other item might be temporarily unavailable. As we listen to each and every guest comment we will now be bringing into the hotel more fridges and microwaves which guests can request.

Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

RESATAURANT in lobby DOUBLE CHARGED US like 70 $ on visa WE CALLED several times FOR REFUND BUT NEVER GOT .
Room was nice size comfortable beds but cleaning did not seem to be a priority very mediocre, large stain on matress and bed skirt lots of dirt around furniture and baseboards.
Shuttle service very disorganized one employee said to call before leaving Manhattan an other then told us to call only when we arrived at the train station but then the whole familly had to wait on the side of the road for a half hour at almost midnight, we didn' t feel too safe. The breakfast was a joke all they wanted to do was upgrade us to the warm breakfast for like 8 $ each.
I took my car to nearby Dunkin Donouts. For a trip to Manhattan I would definitely not return to this hotel since the cost alone ot the train was 70 $ for a familly of 4 and an hour and half one way (shuttle, train and waiting). The ferry was nice especially the view but you had to drive a half hour pay the toll, the bridge and the parking. But you didn' t need the shuttle and in total was almost as time consuming. For a trip to Manhattan get a place where they care and you are nearby

• Stayed: September 2012
Richard S, General Manager at Hotel Executive Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

As your review is based upon a stay from last year in September 2012 it is best to simply say that this information is out-dated.

The hotel has not charged any guest during 2013 for breakfast or for a breakfast "upgrade".

Nor do we leave any guests stranded at the train station at midnight, as we operate a timetable of three times daily scheduled pick up and drop off service at nearby NJ Transit Rail.
If it is after-hours or during off times from the shuttle schedule there are numerous independent taxis at the station who charge a nominal fixed rate to the hotel of approximately $10-12.
NJ Transit's current 2013 full fares are $8.75 for an adult to Penn Station New York and $4.00 for a child or senior, the trip takes roughly 40 minutes.

In the year since the reviewer stayed at our hotel we should note that inevitably tolls to New York City have increased, but The Staten Island Ferry and bridges to New Jersey happily are still free.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

I booked my room through Priceline about a week and a half before our trip. They claimed to have sleep number beds in the rooms, that was untrue. We didn't arrive to the hotel until about 8:30pm and check in time is 3pm. When we got there they inform us that they didn't have a room for us right then that we would have to wait about 30 minutes. I said why we booked our hotel a week and a half ago?! There were 2 girls working the front desk and they both just stared at us then the one short dark haired girl says to someone in an office right off the front desk do you want to explain to them why there is no rooms available right now? And mind you she said that with attitude dripping from her voice! The "manager" well I least I think that is who he was, he never really introduced himself to us proceeds to tell us they had a HUGE group from China come in that day and they changed all their dates so they were behind because of accommodating them. I said that shouldn't matter we had our reservations a week and a half ago. He said well why don't you guys go into the bar and have a bite to eat and a drink on the hotel and we will get your room ready for you. So decided since we were exhausted from our 11 hour drive that we would just take him up on his offer instead of going to try and find a new hotel. So after about 45 minutes they come give us room keys to our room. There were 3 of us staying in the same room, myself, my husband and our 17 year old daughter. We go up to our room and there is only 1 king size bed....so we drag all our luggage back down to the lobby, go to the front desk ( now only the short rude girl was at the desk, the manager had left for the night ) and tell her there is only 1 bed in our room we need 2. She says again with attitude in her voice we gave you a suite there is a pullout couch in there too. We said oh sorry we didn't realize, so we go back up to the room go in and guess what NO couch what so ever in the room ONLY a king size bed. So again we go back down to the lobby all our luggage in tow and go back to the front desk with the rude girl and say ummmmm no couch in there just a king size bed....now you can see it written all over her face that we are getting on her nerves. She picks up the phone dials some number the whole time not looking at us and starts making keys for a different room. Slaps the new keys down on the counter and says to us there that is a double room!!! We get up to our second room and there were 2 double beds but not sleep number beds! I go into the bathroom to start getting ready for bed and there are dark hairs all over the hand towels. NASTY!!! But instead of trying to talk to the rude girl at the front desk again for the 3rd time we decide to just go to sleep and deal with the situation in the morning. The next morning my husband goes down to the front desk to speak with the manager about our horrible service and experience thus far and guess what he had called in for the day....how convenient. So my husband proceeds to tell the man at the front desk about our HORRIBLE experience from the night before. My husband asked for a discount on our room and a different room. The man says well since you booked your room on Priceline it is already discounted and I am not authorized to give any more of a discount but I will put you in a suite for your 2nd night here. This time it was a suite with a living room ( with pull out couch, which was broken on one side ) and a sleep number bed ( which was broken and didn't work ). The ONLY good thing about this hotel was the bar/restaurant Lucky Dublins. The bar tender was super friendly and the food was wonderful!!! I would NOT EVER recommend this hotel to ANYONE! Was in a not so nice area of Carteret NJ and had no pool either. You would be better off paying a few extra dollars and staying somewhere else.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

We apologize that you had such an unpleasant experience during your recent stay. Please know from our side that as we are so close to New York City we do sometimes experience peak nights like the night you arrived on.
As the New York area is enjoying soaring record numbers of foreign visitors, we do the very most to serve all our guests, both international and domestic, the best we can.
Please know that management has taken note of the concerns you have raised and addressed the issues with the Front Desk and Housekeeping.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Carteret
Holiday Inn Carteret - Rahway
Hampton Inn Linden
Hampton Inn Linden
#1 of 4 in Linden
Ramada Plaza Newark Liberty International Airport

Been to Hotel Executive Suites? Share your experiences!