“Not too bad, but scary”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Carteret
Newark, New Jersey
“Not too bad, but scary”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I stayed here for two nights. The room was clean, however the number bed was not working. I called and they said they would send someone but that didn't happen until the next day. The scary part of happened at approximately at 1-1:30am. There was a persistent knock on the door. At first I didn't answer because we were sleeping, the knocking continued until I got up. It was Chinese food delivery. When I told them through the door we did not order , he did not leave but proceeded to call the restaurant to double check the room number. Needless to say it was scary waking up in the middle of the night to someone knocking at your door. When I told management about it, they said they don't require the deliveries to check in at the front desk, i think that is unacceptable.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank LO R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Reviewed August 18, 2012

I looked up the reviews on this place thought it would be a great place, I was completely wrong... We got they Sat night Aug 4 we stayed till Aug 6 2012. At first ever thing seemed great...we were give a nice room, check in went great, They gave us 50% off coupon for the restaurant, So seen how it was late we decide to go down, WE sat in the booth for over one hour before our food arrived, (there were two other tables there being waited on, including a couple we road down in the elevator with) Everyone else had eaten and left before our food arrived, The Food was BAD, We took it to go because we did want to just leave that much food, (it all got thrown out at home) ... After I paid the $62.00 bill, Which was outrages, (with the 50% off I remind you) and we were getting ready to walk out, when Management came up to my family and started to yell at us saying that we needed to leave a 22% tip, because there was four of us and that was normal in New Jersey... I felt very belittled, I wanted to say things back but with my children there, I keep my cool and told him that I didn't feel that was right, He said he would charge my Credit card the correct tip amount if we didn't pay the rest in cash. We did know what to do, So my husband but down some cash and we left. We had two days there, I was nerves about things from there on out, I did know what else could happen, In the morning I asked to speak to management and was told his was the kitchen manger that we had this problem with... But that's not the worst yet

WE also got told that they would take us to the train station ever 30 mins (according to there sign) and if we call just before we get back to the station they will come and get us right away.... This also didn't happen we waited over an hour to get a ride to the train station and when I called on the way back they told me it would be at least an hour before there could come and get us, (So at 10pm at night my husband and I with our two young children stood at a train station in the rain waiting on them to come get us.)

... WE were also told that all rooms had sleep number beds, Ours didn't , got told if booked though price-line you don't get them....

.... Now here the worst yet we have been back now for two weeks and this Friday the 17 of August 2012 was the Third time this place has CHARGED my credit card for that dinner, And NO ONE is returning my calls .....

They promise a lot of things they don't delivery on... The Supper 8 WE stayed on the way home was better........

Room Tip: not all rooms come with sleep number BED....
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Support at Hotel Executive Suites, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
We am sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us. Please be assured that we will share all your remarks with the Respective Departments, so we can avoid this in the future. Please accept our sincere apology for this unfortunate incident and thank you for letting us know about it.

Travelers are raving about these Carteret hotels

Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed July 29, 2012

We wound up here because of a funeral in NYC at the last minute and our kids no longer have room for us in the city! So, what a pleasant surprise to find it on a travel site for $122 per night! Easy to find and right off 95! In addition, checking in at 12:30 am on a Tuesday, I was greeted by the nicest desk clerk who was soft spoken and pleasant - almost unheard of in this area. She dealt with a large tour bus in an efficient manner and quickly handled my reservation all with the same aplomb. The room was marked "smoking" on the outside (I think it was a hold over from the old days) though it was obviously not a smoking room. The beds were clean and very comfortable, you can't hear the road noise on the 5th floor and the room was immaculate. For this price and 30 minutes from the city, I'd stay here again. Be aware that it is in a very industrial area, so there is nothing else around, but it doesn't matter if you're headed to the city.

Room Tip: Get a room either in the back of the hotel or on an upper floor for quiet.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Call this hotel to make a reservation and it was obvious the person was reading from a script - she could barely have a conversation with me. I mentioned that I found a less expensive price online and she starting speaking fast and reading all the restrictions and I could barely get a word in. Decided not to book this hotel and will stay elsewhere.

Atlanta, GA
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I'm giving this hotel an Excellent for value primarily. I arrived with a party of 9 (3 rooms) for 3 nights, driving a 12-pngr van and the plan was to drive in to Staten Island and take the ferry into NYC. This plan worked out wonderfully and with a special we got the room for significantly less than $100/night. I love those sleep-number beds and it was a class-hotel all the way. I'll mention some negatives, but they are ALL way outweighed by the positives and this hotel deserves the excellent for value, service, cleanliness etc.

So, here are the negatives we experienced NONE of which detract from an excellent hotel. First, the area is a little industrial. There's not a bunch of chain-restaurants nearby and the hotel itself sits behind some sort of appliance store and is very near the turnpike. A LOT of bus tourists seem to stay here and if you come in after one of those drops off its load then you may have to wait a while to check in. Finally, there is no pool at this hotel should you be of a mind to care about such things. (We found that a nightly game of Monopoly keeps the kids entertained just as well!)

Now the many positives... Front desk is always attentive and helpful. Breakfast is rather standard but includes grits, potatoes (sometimes), sausage patties, eggs as well as standard waffles/bagels/muffins etc. Rooms are awesome. King size sleep-number beds are huge AND theres a small couch that folds out into a sleeper (daughter got that one and she actually liked it!) Bathrooms are upscale and nicely furnished. Clean as can be. No noise from other rooms so insulation seems to be fine too. We got local pizza from a nearby place on the other side of the interstate called something like Riunite. Not the best pizza ever I guess, but the owner was the nicest guy and we returned there every night after that for the wings which my wife loved. Also in that shopping center was a CVS, liquor store for beer, laundry (never used it but good to have it available), grocery store, etc. Everything you need if not the newest shopping center ever. As mentioned before, we were also able to re-arrange the furniture in our room to host a couple of little Monopoly games with the kids and the grown-ups got to chat, drink a bit of beer and have a mini-get together in one of the rooms. North facing rooms give a distant view of NYC at night.

For 2 mornings we hopped into our van, rode 1 exit north and then east to Staten Island. Toll for the 1 exit north trip was about 1.20, then another toll to get into SI was $12. Parking was $6/day and of course the ferry to NYC was free. So for both days we visited it cost only about $20/day for tolls AND parking. Plus we got to start and end each day with a sail by the Statue of Liberty. The group loved it. Highly recommended and I can't imagine a better economical way to visit NYC.

Room Tip: If you need to sleep 3, go for the King room as the couch is a fold-out sleeper and the bed is a Sle...
2 Thank 1BlueDragon1
Athens, Greece
Reviewed July 22, 2012

we stayed here for one night because i arrived in Newark on a 9.30 pm flight! the shuttle was a little late in picking me up (be sure to have the hotel number handy, there are free phones on the p4 terminal where the hotel shuttles pick you up) but the driver was very polite and informative!the room was up to radisson standards and the breakfast hot and plentiful even though the dining is not very spacious. the neighborhood is nothing special but i doubt people stay here because of the area!!the big advantage is the free shuttle that can take you to the train station and to several bus stops! if you are looking for a place near the airport with shuttle service this ideal!

Groebenzell, Germany
Reviewed July 20, 2012

This hotel is great. It is located approximately 15 minutes away from the airport Neark. If you need a shuttle just call the hotel and he comes for free.
The rooms are big and really clean. The beds are adjustable to the individual's own sleep hardness A refrigerator and microwave are in there too.
The reception is open 24 hours and always very friendly.
The breakfast buffet is typically American. Scrambled eggs, beagles, toast, pastries, waffles bake it yourself, various juices, coffee and tea
Free WiFi

I would always go back

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carteret
Holiday Inn Carteret - Rahway
Hilton Garden Inn New York/Staten Island
Home2 Suites Rahway
Home2 Suites Rahway
#1 of 5 in Rahway

Been to Hotel Executive Suites? Share your experiences!