“Fumigation?”

Hampton Inn Carlstadt-At The Meadowlands
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Carlstadt
Reviewed December 22, 2011

This would have been a 5/5 review had I not seen what I saw when I left.

Check-In was fast and painless, as was express checkout.. as always from Hilton.

The room was clean and comfortable.
There was a good continental breakfast.
The bed was pretty comfortable, but nothing to write home about.

At about $100 or so for 2 queen in a great location, this is a great value.

HOWEVER, on our way out the next morning we did see one of the rooms being fumigated. I've attached a picture of the fumigation truck. Obviously I do not know for a fact if there were bed bugs or not in that room, but I think it fair to reveal there was fumigation transpiring.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Eric D
Hampton12345, Manager at Hampton Inn Carlstadt-At The Meadowlands, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2012

I was elated to hear that our check-in was efficient, our breakfast satisfactory, and our rooms clean and comfortable. However, it is very important to make clear that the truck and hosing pictured in this review were not at our property for fumigation purposes but instead for bathtub refinishing.

There are newer reviews for Hampton Inn Carlstadt-At The Meadowlands

Reviewed December 11, 2011

Occasionally you encounter a hotel where the promise is exceeded that's what the Hampton Inn experience is in Carlstadt. The hotel is no different on the outside as any of thousands of similar places around the country. The difference here is the hotel staff over delivery on the promise of a full breakfast, clean rooms, and free WIFI. This a a really good free breakfast, really nice rooms that are clean and WIFI that is up and running in a minute without silly codes or weak signals. This is all 15 minutes from midtown Manhattan when the Lincoln Tunnel is not jammed or three minutes from the Jersey Turnpike.

Room Tip: Book early for the best price and do it on the Hampton Inn site for no hassles
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank 2nynbak
Reviewed November 28, 2011

The hotel a great value for the money. It is directly across from Met Life stadium and they have a free shuttle to take you to and pick you up from games. You can't walk as there is a fence and no sidewalks just busy roads you would have to walk to get to the entrance. The shuttle however is a typical hotel van that runs first come first serve, so go early as there was only about 10-12 seats on the shuttle. And the people that didn't get on were told by the driver it would be another 1/2 hr before it could be back and get them there. After the games the shuttle does the best it can, but they put a sign on the hotel door the day of the game recommending you go on a shuttle to a restaurant that has more shuttles and they give you a free appetizer while you wait for our shuttle. The bus to downtown New York was super easy and clean. $8.50 each (cash only, no change for more than a $20) round trip and the bus stop is right across the street from the hotel. It's maybe a 15 minute drive with no other stops and drops you off at Port Authority right by Time Square and the theatre district. We came for a NY Jets football game at the stadium, but went to see Spiderman on Broadway and the bus drops you off less than 2 blocks away. Perfect! The breakfast was very good and plentiful, but get there by 8:30 for best selection. Omelets, bacon, french toast sticks one day, scrambled eggs sausage and potato wedges the other. In addition to apples, bananas, melon and mixed fruit, pastries, breads, muffins, cereal, waffles, yogurt, hard boiled eggs, coffee, juices, milk. I thought something for everyone. The room was clean and the comforters were nice. The minifridge and microwave also was a plus. There is a coffee maker that was broken in our room, and it was replaced right away. My only downfall was the transportation from Newark Airport. I read online that they have complementary shuttle service to Newark and Teterboro, but when my son and I arrived at 6pm and I called, they said the free shuttle only brought you to the airport, not from......so I would have to take a cab. The cab was $44 + $6 in tolls. With a $10 tip I was left with a $60 extra that I was not planning on. My son and I were going to the NY Jets game on Sunday at 1pm and had a flight home at 6:30pm. When I inquired about the reserving the shuttle back to the airport after the game they said they could not book any shuttle to the airport until at least 2 hrs after the game ended because it would be busy picking up people from the game. They also said the traffic to the airport would be horrendous at that time as many people from the game go home on that highway. So my trip to Newark airport which normally takes 20-25min would be 1-1 1/2 hrs. I ended up asking to talk to the manager before the game and express my frustration with the misrepresentation of the "Free airport shuttle" and he was FANTASTIC!!!! He was kind and understanding and said he would give us a ride after the game in a personal hotel vehicle to the airport for our inconvenience. The hotel kept our bags in a secure back room while we were at the game and sent the shuttle as soon as I called after. They then took us to the airport in a personal vehicle and we got to the airport in plenty of time to make our flight. He also said he would review the transportation description online to make sure it was clear. I thought this was above and beyond customer service. Five stars!!!! Thank-you Frank Super and Blake for your great customer service and hospitality! I will definitely go back.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank fillion1234
Reviewed November 27, 2011

Great stay we just had this weekend. This hotel is in the Meadowlands and is quiet and away from everything. Their is a bus stop right outside the hotel, so complaints with transportation whatsoever. We asked for a roll away bed as soon as we got there and it was no problem, they brought it up and moved furniture around to make it more comfortable.

With the free parking and the free breakfast, which has quite a selection of eggs, bacon, sausage, hash browns an all of the other continental food, this hotel was a great value. There was no pool for the kids, but after long days in the city, I am not sure they would have had energy to swim anyway. The hotel itself is very kept up and it was very quiet. We left on a Sunday with a 1 p.m. kickoff at the Stadium down the road and traffic was still no problem.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Robert S
Reviewed November 16, 2011

Difficult to find at first, but what a pleasant surprise once we found it! It was a great experience from start to end. The front desk staff was patient (despite my many questions) and knowledgeable about the area. The bus stop to NYC was convenient, and the fridge and microwave was useful. We went down for continental breakfast in the morning and found the place bustling. The food was adequate (fresh fruit, pastries, waffle maker, some hot items), but the staff is what impressed me. Anytime there was a spill, someone was there to wipe it up in seconds. The complimentary shuttle to Metlife Stadium put this place over the top for me. Although the shuttle driver made many, many trips back and forth, he treated every trip as if it were the first of the night. If you consider the cost of parking in/around the stadium and free breakfast, the room practically paid for itself. Add in the amazing staff and clean room, and you can be sure I will be back!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 16, 2011

Having been to New York many times I have to say this is exceptional value for money.
Staff are so helpful, rooms are brilliant and fresh, breakfast is more than you need to start your day off. If anyone is staying here to go to an event at the MET LIFE stadium- (NFL) you cannot go wrong.

Going into Manhattan is easy enough on a great bus service.
Only downside is there are no bar or restaurants in the hotel but there are plenty places to eat and drink just outside the place with a complimentary coach service.
If you want to visit New York without paying ridiculous prices for a very neat hotel don't go past this place.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Jet012
Reviewed November 13, 2011

This hotel was great for our overnight stay. The room was a bit outdated, but clean and comfortable. We loved having a fridge and microwave for leftover food. The jets in the bathroom tub was a nice added bonus too. We even had a view of Manhattan from our window. The continental breakfast was average, but at least it was included in the price. They had waffles, omletts, muffins, bagels, cereal, fruit, coffee and juice. We didn't use the bus to NYC, but the bus stop is right across the street, and there's a stoplight to cross at. Overall, I would stay here again if I'm in this region.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carlstadt
Homewood Suites by Hilton East Rutherford-Meadowlands
Econo Lodge
Econo Lodge
#2 of 3 in Carlstadt
Extended Stay America - Meadowlands - East Rutherford

Been to Hampton Inn Carlstadt-At The Meadowlands? Share your experiences!